• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Finally going back

LeDiskoLove99

LeDiskoLove99

So I'm 32 and the last time I went to the dentist was when I was 25, before that the last time I had been to a dentist was at the age of 7. I had a badly infected tooth that they had to extract which is one of my biggest fears (other than loose teeth) and it didn't go well. They didn't use enough gas, and even though I had taken two Xanax I was super aware and felt everything (not just a little pressure like they say) I could feel the tooth breaking apart in great detail. I mean it wasn't painful but I didn't want to feel ANYTHING. I was sobbing hysterically it was a mess.. The doctor also removed a tooth without permission or warning because he knew I'd say no to an extra tooth being pulled. Needless to say I won't be going back there. But I do have to go I have another incredibly painful infected tooth again and the gums on my front bottom teeth are receding and falling apart. And my fear of loose teeth is pushing me to go. But I'm terrified. I know I have to go but I won't be able to do this without at least a few Xanax. It's taken me a while to build up the courage to force myself to go. I'm so scared! If I weren't so afraid of loose teeth I probably wouldn't even bother going.

I'm calling places tomorrow to set up an appointment after I find the right dentist. Wish me luck!

Good luck! I am so sorry that you were treated so badly as to have a tooth removed without permission, I believe that is illegal, as well as a terribly unethical way for a dentist to treat someone. Glad to hear you aren't going back there! I hope you find someone really good this time, and they can provide what you want in the way of not feeling anything. Good for you, to face this after going through really bad treatment experiences, and not having gone to a dentist much in your life! I didn't go to a dentist for the second half of elementary school, went again middle school to freshman year of high school, then didn't go again till i was older than you, so I know how having less exposure to, or experience with dentistry makes it even harder. It's great though that you are doing this, and doing this good thing for yourself to improve your dental health and I hope it works out really well for you.

Nice!

You’ve got this.

Keep us posted. You’re already a success.

@NervousUSA Thank you so much! And yes it is hard to go after not much exposure but sometimes you gotta do it. Even if it sucks. Thank you for your thoughtful reply and best of luck to you!

@Dg6300 Awww thank you so much! That's sweet of you to say.

Back