• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Finally lost the battle... getting a full upper denture

Well I'm on the other side now... no issues removing the teeth... had to tidy up a bit of bone from one of the molars but I was in and out of there in under an hour... loose teeth appear to be easy to extract!

Now the anaesthetic is wearing off and I'm starting to get quite sore... waiting for the pain killers to kick in and hopefully have a bit of a sleep... bleeding a little still but that should subside overnight.

Will check in tomorrow... thanks for the support!! Very much appreciated!

Spanky

Congrats and I'm really happy to hear that all went well. Hopefully, you won't have much more pain and will wake up tomorrow in top form.

Well I'm on the other side now... no issues removing the teeth... had to tidy up a bit of bone from one of the molars but I was in and out of there in under an hour... loose teeth appear to be easy to extract!

Now the anaesthetic is wearing off and I'm starting to get quite sore... waiting for the pain killers to kick in and hopefully have a bit of a sleep... bleeding a little still but that should subside overnight.

Will check in tomorrow... thanks for the support!! Very much appreciated!

Spanky

You made it! I’m happy for you that it’s over and done with and now you can get on with the business of healing. Stay on top of your pain medications and just relax and take it as easy as possible. It may be uncomfortable to eat but do manage what you can because you will feel better and heal more quickly if you eat. Plenty of fluids if nothing else, okay? Haha mother hen has spoken. I’m just wanting you to heal as best you can. Take care of you, and keep us posted.

Mother hen (aka Anxious76)... yesterday afternoon was pretty tough, but got through it. Its now 5am and apart from the site of the molar that needed some bone reduction being sore, the rest is tender but not too painful currently, although I'm unsure how much is being masked by pain killers I took at midnight.

As for food... I made the mistake of thinking I could eat canned pear slices yesterday... I was soon corrected. I'm unable to put any biting force down yet, so until now I've stuck to jelly, custard and yoghurt. I might attempt scrambled eggs with ricotta cheese later for lunch... apparently that's a nice high protein easy to eat meal... once it's cooled of course! Will puree some stuff later and do the baby food thing until i can start biting down again.

The only concern I have is that the very front of the denture is too high... seems to press up under the lip too much and the little V gap under the top lip where the muscle is, doesn't seem deep enough and it feels like the denture can't assume the position in the front to get proper suction... and drops down slightly... again I'll have to wait a couple days to see what happens after everything settles down but hopefully it's easy to adjust.

Spanky

Congrats and I'm really happy to hear that all went well. Hopefully, you won't have much more pain and will wake up tomorrow in top form.

Thanks LittleLynnie! I'm not quite in top form but am feeling a LOT better than I was yesterday. There's one extraction site that is still going to require pain killers to be taken but it's to be expected... one day at a time right! Last few days I have been getting stressed and a bit depressed knowing that the procedure was becoming a reality but now it's done I have no remorse. Just need to take care of the healing process, eat as healthy as I can on a limited diet and I'll be back out there smiling before I know it!

Spanky

Ladies and Gents... lets talk post extraction and immediate denture diet... what's the best food to start eating?
Since my extractions I've only eaten some yoghurt, custard and jelly... tried canned pears but they'll need to be turned into baby food because chewing just isn't possible yet...
I was thinking of introducing mashed potato and pumpkin, soup, scrambled eggs with ricotta and spinach.

What else is healthy and easy to eat that doesn't require/requires minimal chewing?

Spanky

Overcooked vegetables. I ate a lot of cauliflower and broccoli, cooked to smithereens. Very healthy, and no need to chew.

Ladies and Gents... lets talk post extraction and immediate denture diet... what's the best food to start eating?
Since my extractions I've only eaten some yoghurt, custard and jelly... tried canned pears but they'll need to be turned into baby food because chewing just isn't possible yet...
I was thinking of introducing mashed potato and pumpkin, soup, scrambled eggs with ricotta and spinach.

What else is healthy and easy to eat that doesn't require/requires minimal chewing?

Spanky

Pasta or macaroni and cheese. Puddings and ice cream. I kind of used my tongue to mash the food to the food of my mouth. Make sure the food is cool enough so you don’t hurt yourself, gums will be extra sensitive to heat. I found cooler foods were better initially or at least room temperature.

Mother hen (aka Anxious76)... yesterday afternoon was pretty tough, but got through it. Its now 5am and apart from the site of the molar that needed some bone reduction being sore, the rest is tender but not too painful currently, although I'm unsure how much is being masked by pain killers I took at midnight.

As for food... I made the mistake of thinking I could eat canned pear slices yesterday... I was soon corrected. I'm unable to put any biting force down yet, so until now I've stuck to jelly, custard and yoghurt. I might attempt scrambled eggs with ricotta cheese later for lunch... apparently that's a nice high protein easy to eat meal... once it's cooled of course! Will puree some stuff later and do the baby food thing until i can start biting down again.

The only concern I have is that the very front of the denture is too high... seems to press up under the lip too much and the little V gap under the top lip where the muscle is, doesn't seem deep enough and it feels like the denture can't assume the position in the front to get proper suction... and drops down slightly... again I'll have to wait a couple days to see what happens after everything settles down but hopefully it's easy to adjust.

Spanky

They can make adjustments to your denture and will. Do you need to see the dentist in a week or so to check on healing? Bananas are another good food they can be mashed easy with a fork. Beans and rice if you like that, you can even do vegetable Curry’s if that’s something you like just make sure that they’re cooked soft enough. Meatloaf or meatballs. Remember you’ve got that hard plastic roof of your mouth now so use your tongue to mash soft foods against it gently so it’s kind of like chewing for you. Just mash up best you can soups are excellent. Milkshakes, applesauce and rice are also good. Peanut butter a soft source of protein and can be mixed into oatmeal.

Overcooked vegetables. I ate a lot of cauliflower and broccoli, cooked to smithereens. Very healthy, and no need to chew.

That's a good idea LittleLynnie... I could always blend everything into a soup too!!

Spanky

Actually one of my favorite things was egg fou young gravy, it was thick and tasty.. lol seemed to fill me up a little too.. of course how much egg fou young gravy can one eat?

Day 3 post extractions... feeling pretty crap today. I had to go out and get blood pressure meds as I ran out and I don't think I was ready for an outing... I couldn't take any pain meds this morning because I had to drive, and then the extraction site started to bleed again. I got home... pilled up and went for a nap.

The molars where they had to augment the bone is still really sore (actually that's the only pain I have is from that area), and my face is quite swollen in that region today. Removing the denture to give everything a clean and a good salt rinse results in a LOT of pain when I put it back in. But they say day 3 is the worst and tomorrow should start to brighten up a little!! Fingers crossed!

Good news... scrambled eggs with spinach and ricotta went down a treat for breakfast this morning! I attempted to eat a rissole by basically shredding it into tiny bits but it was not a good idea... mashed veges, mashed banana and custard, jelly and ice cream... they all seem to be winners. I checked out the extraction sites this evening too... all looks good so far except for that one troublesome spot that the dentist trimmed the bone.

Bring on a good night sleep tonight and hopefully a new outlook on everything tomorrow morning!!

Spanky

Actually one of my favorite things was egg fou young gravy, it was thick and tasty.. lol seemed to fill me up a little too.. of course how much egg fou young gravy can one eat?

I'll give this a go tomorrow!! Thanks for the idea!

Hi Spanky, you’re a trooper! I know all about that third day of discomfort, that’s about the time the bruising or swelling “peaks” as well. One thing that was very soothing for me was moist heat. I took a nice warm bath and took a damp/wet warm washcloth and held it gently on my face and it felt so soothing. Ice for the first 48 hours (frozen peas actually wrapped in a kitchen towel) and warm moist heat thereafter were so incredibly helpful. With my day coming Wednesday I am prepared and stocked on the peas. Try the wash cloth and hopefully it helps you and stay on top of your meds best you can. Also please relax and don’t do too much even though you many be feeling better or having a good day. Too much too soon can set you back so try to spend the next few days taking it easy. Warm salt water is also soothing to your gums. 1/2 teaspoon table salt in 8 ounces warm water. Take into your mouth and just let it bathe your gums, don’t swish so you don’t disturb healing and then let it dribble out of your month. This cleans your mouth and helps you to heal faster. I’m thinking of you and sending positive healing vibes your way. You’re getting there!

Hi Spanky, you’re a trooper! I know all about that third day of discomfort, that’s about the time the bruising or swelling “peaks” as well. One thing that was very soothing for me was moist heat. I took a nice warm bath and took a damp/wet warm washcloth and held it gently on my face and it felt so soothing. Ice for the first 48 hours (frozen peas actually wrapped in a kitchen towel) and warm moist heat thereafter were so incredibly helpful. With my day coming Wednesday I am prepared and stocked on the peas. Try the wash cloth and hopefully it helps you and stay on top of your meds best you can. Also please relax and don’t do too much even though you many be feeling better or having a good day. Too much too soon can set you back so try to spend the next few days taking it easy. Warm salt water is also soothing to your gums. 1/2 teaspoon table salt in 8 ounces warm water. Take into your mouth and just let it bathe your gums, don’t swish so you don’t disturb healing and then let it dribble out of your month. This cleans your mouth and helps you to heal faster. I’m thinking of you and sending positive healing vibes your way. You’re getting there!

Anxious76, I've been trying all your recommendations but I'm having very little relief. The very back left side molars that were removed had some bone augmentation done to remove the jagged/sharp bony edge. The rest of my mouth is doing really well except for that back corner. I removed my denture today to clean it and I noticed a little blood under that area. Did my salt rinse and denture clean etc, but when I put the denture back in the pain where it touched was excruciating, seems to be contact pain so i'm hoping that it's just swelling and the denture needs a slight adjustment. The only other thing it could be... is the last remaining wisdom tooth that has been laying dormant all these years... I hope to god that it hasn't decided to come and play now the others have been removed. I can't pinpoint the exact area of pain but I might get an xray at my appointment on Thursday if the surgeon can't see a reason for it straight up.

Almost time for your main event!! Such an exciting time for you to finally be getting your implants!! I'll be checking in on our progress... you'll be fine! Soon you'll have a brand new smile and be able to live each day as if you had your own teeth!

Spanky

Spanky, I hope you do well with dentures. I hopefully can avoid complete dentures if my teeth hold. I know I will eventually need a partial as you wore for years. I have no idea how they even function as it must be hard with fitting.

Anxious76, I've been trying all your recommendations but I'm having very little relief. The very back left side molars that were removed had some bone augmentation done to remove the jagged/sharp bony edge. The rest of my mouth is doing really well except for that back corner. I removed my denture today to clean it and I noticed a little blood under that area. Did my salt rinse and denture clean etc, but when I put the denture back in the pain where it touched was excruciating, seems to be contact pain so i'm hoping that it's just swelling and the denture needs a slight adjustment. The only other thing it could be... is the last remaining wisdom tooth that has been laying dormant all these years... I hope to god that it hasn't decided to come and play now the others have been removed. I can't pinpoint the exact area of pain but I might get an xray at my appointment on Thursday if the surgeon can't see a reason for it straight up.

Almost time for your main event!! Such an exciting time for you to finally be getting your implants!! I'll be checking in on our progress... you'll be fine! Soon you'll have a brand new smile and be able to live each day as if you had your own teeth!

Spanky

Hi Spanky I’m sorry to hear you’re having tenderness in that one area. Maybe try to leave your denture out some if contact is causing the soreness. Are you taking it out at night to give the area a rest?

Thank you for the words of encouragement I’m feeling very nervous bordering on scared. I don’t know if all the implants will be loaded tomorrow or just some and neither does the dentist until he’s working in there so this may not be my last go at this. I’m trying to stay as optimistic as possible. Keep us posted on you and I hope that you will have some relief after an adjustment on Thursday.

Spanky, I hope you do well with dentures. I hopefully can avoid complete dentures if my teeth hold. I know I will eventually need a partial as you wore for years. I have no idea how they even function as it must be hard with fitting.

Thanks jadon77... so far it's been a total change going from partials to a denture. In my early years when I first had the partial, they were solid, stable, never had an issue, until the other teeth supporting them started to fail... and in hindsight I should have replaced my partial a LONG time before I finally did, but at the stage I was losing another tooth, and then when time would be getting close to looking at getting a new partial, I'd lose another tooth and even when I saw the prosthetic technician she advised me to get all the remaining teeth fixed before getting work done, which I eventually did and got the new partial... unfortunately 3 months later I'm getting the remaining top teeth pulled for the full upper. Bone loss will happen as soon as the tooth is pulled, and unfortunately in my case the remaining teeth didn't have a good enough foothold to support a partial.

My advise... if you get a partial, make sure you're at the dentist every 6 months like clockwork... more if you have any reason such as accelerated decay, gum issues etc. But if you can save your real teeth, and they aren't costing you a fortune or causing you pain, and you can maintain them, there's no substitute for the real dead. If you're like the millions in the world who just have crap teeth from bad genes, never looked after them properly, or some type of illness, look at getting rid of the bad ones and getting a partial, or getting them all out and getting a denture or implants. Good luck!

Hi Spanky I’m sorry to hear you’re having tenderness in that one area. Maybe try to leave your denture out some if contact is causing the soreness. Are you taking it out at night to give the area a rest?

Thank you for the words of encouragement I’m feeling very nervous bordering on scared. I don’t know if all the implants will be loaded tomorrow or just some and neither does the dentist until he’s working in there so this may not be my last go at this. I’m trying to stay as optimistic as possible. Keep us posted on you and I hope that you will have some relief after an adjustment on Thursday.

Hi Anxious76,
So check up today... I had 2 sore spots at the back where the molars were removed (quite bad, bleeding a little, no wonder it has been so bloody sore). And under my front lip where the gum intersects the lip... ulcerated :(
The dentist made some alterations to the denture and it is not nowhere near as painful but it feels a bit looser compared to before. Have a follow up in another month so will see how it goes until then.

This morning I had a new treat to deal with... GAGGING!! Up until now I've been absolutely fine... this morning, GAGGING! I asked the dentist and he said that I will adjust to it but it's gotten worse over the day. I looked at the denture tonight and the back of it isn't even... the curve isn't even and seems to be further back on the left hand side. I think I'll have to go back and get him to remove some material... I go back to work next week and I can't be walking around a hospital randomly gagging :scared:

Spanky

Hi Anxious76,
So check up today... I had 2 sore spots at the back where the molars were removed (quite bad, bleeding a little, no wonder it has been so bloody sore). And under my front lip where the gum intersects the lip... ulcerated :(
The dentist made some alterations to the denture and it is not nowhere near as painful but it feels a bit looser compared to before. Have a follow up in another month so will see how it goes until then.

This morning I had a new treat to deal with... GAGGING!! Up until now I've been absolutely fine... this morning, GAGGING! I asked the dentist and he said that I will adjust to it but it's gotten worse over the day. I looked at the denture tonight and the back of it isn't even... the curve isn't even and seems to be further back on the left hand side. I think I'll have to go back and get him to remove some material... I go back to work next week and I can't be walking around a hospital randomly gagging :scared:

Spanky

Hi Spanky! I’m glad you aren’t in pain anymore. I’m sorry about the gagging. You’re right, it needs to be trimmed so it’s not sitting so far back on your pallet, some have an easily triggered gag reflex. Also you may encounter some drooling over the next couple weeks as you adjust to life with a foreign object in your mouth, which can at times be inconvenient and a little embarrassing but it WILL pass after a couple weeks time. It’s just a matter of your mouth adapting to the new structure. I’m glad you have been able to take some time off work to recover and adapt and also to practice your speech. You’re well on your way to being a lot more comfortable and I’m really happy for you! :)

Back