• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Finally made first appointment

Small success... I managed to listen to workmates talking about taking kids to the orthodontist, and I didn't leave the room or change the subject! I didn't contribute to the conversation either, but not freaking out is a good step!

This is a huge thing, really and shows you how much progress you have made. I remember the beginning of my journey when just looking at a homepage of a practice would be too much.. I also needed about one week to read one article here on DFC because everything would be too triggering. Writing an email to a practice would take one week and I would need three days to finally press the send button and would still almost get a heart attack. Receiving a confirmation email from my practice would make me shakey for hours. After half a year of working with my dentist I tried to like them on facebook but would freak out because of pictures of people in the chair. I literally liked and unliked them three times because I couldn't cope. Thinking back I can't believe how bad things were and I am not sure if anyone who haven't gone through this can imagine how draining it can be..

This is a huge thing, really and shows you how much progress you have made. I remember the beginning of my journey when just looking at a homepage of a practice would be too much.. I also needed about one week to read one article here on DFC because everything would be too triggering. Writing an email to a practice would take one week and I would need three days to finally press the send button and would still almost get a heart attack. Receiving a confirmation email from my practice would make me shakey for hours. After half a year of working with my dentist I tried to like them on facebook but would freak out because of pictures of people in the chair. I literally liked and unliked them three times because I couldn't cope. Thinking back I can't believe how bad things were and I am not sure if anyone who haven't gone through this can imagine how draining it can be..
Thank you! I guess any progress is good even if nothing seems to be happening yet, the fact I stepped through the door is massive for me. And I now know that when I do have to step through it again, I will manage.

I don't remember when I first found DFC, but I think I had a look every few months. It must have been when something really made me think I had to do something, but I just couldn't get any further than that.

I was the same with the email. "Just press the send button!" I'm glad I finally did. I'm sure it'll be worth it.

Workmates are talking about dentists again. One is just back from getting fillings with no injection and is unfazed. Another is getting something tomorrow. And another was talking about years ago when an NHS dentist said she needed 7 fillings but got a second opinion and didn't need a thing. I'm trying to not think about that and worry that it could happen to me. The dentist said I need "a few fillings" plus everything else, which probably means about forty! Then again, if the NHS have to approve my treatment, I would imagine they'll have to provide x rays or some kind of proof. No idea, but I'm not overly worried. I'm sure I do need a lot done. And I have no intention of getting a second opinion.

I still wouldn't contribute to the conversation because it would involve saying I have loads to get done as I haven't been in forever. If I had an actual appointment coming up, I think I would be comfortable saying "me too, I've to get root treatment next week" or whatever.

Tomorrow will be 6 weeks since my consultation, halfway through the "up to 12 weeks" for the long awaited approval.

So my appointment is this week, contemplating cancelling it when last night my loose tooth came out ☹️So not only do I have a gap at the front I will definitely have to go weds to sort getting a replacement!!

It'll be worth it! I kind of wish I was going this week. Getting a tiny bit impatient!

Sam44,

Sorry to hear your tooth fell out, I hope everything goes well on Wednesday , will you be okay until then?

Sam44,

Sorry to hear your tooth fell out, I hope everything goes well on Wednesday , will you be okay until then?
Thankyou ?Yep think so, tbh it’s quite a relief as I was struggling to eat and noones mentioned it!!

Thankyou ?Yep think so, tbh it’s quite a relief as I was struggling to eat and noones mentioned it!!
Looking back, I'm now relieved my teeth kept chipping off, enough to freak me out and make me do something. What's left of them now must be strong as nothing else has broken in the months since the check up. I would have probably talked myself out of making an appointment if I'd known that. They're molars so no one would notice. I'm really glad I did go though! I'm now moving forward (very slowly, but that's OK :waiting:!)

I hope it goes well this week. By next week the nerves will be over!

I'm now moving forward (very slowly, but that's OK :waiting:!)

Slow and steady wins the race and it sounds like that's what you are doing now :)
Good luck next week and keep us posted.

Slow and steady wins the race and it sounds like that's what you are doing now :)
Good luck next week and keep us posted.
Thank you ☺️

I'm afraid it's not me next week though, it's Sam44. I still haven't heard yet - less than a month till the end of the "up to 12 weeks." Hopefully once they have the approval I'll be able to get appointments quickly!

Done!

I was shaking when I got there (not helped by the bad traffic stressing me that I was going to be late), but didn't feel sick with nerves or anything like I expected.

I realise now that I was also nervous about having to explain why I hadn't been for so long and what exactly I was so fearful of (I didn't mention phobia in the email, just that I was extremely nervous). I was sure they wouldn't be horrible or judgemental, as they are meant to be good with nervous patients, but I expected more of a chat. Thankfully (for me anyway, I'm not generally the most open person, others might prefer to talk it out more) it was almost straight into the chair. Nothing was said about my no doubt obvious nerves, or when I last visited a dentist. He was just very nice.

He had a look and took x-rays and I went back to the waiting room and played a quick game of solitaire on my phone to give me something to do before being called back in. So, apart from needing deep cleaning, I have 3 teeth that are broken and decayed that will need root treatment. He said they could extract them if I wanted but that the root treatment would be the best choice. They first have to get NHS approval which could take a long time, so I just have to wait for them to contact me when they get it. I'll wait until then before getting nervous about that.

I'm so relieved that is out of the way and really wasn't bad at all, although I'm still in shock a bit. I was sure I would have really bad gum disease, and maybe I do and he's just not wanting to overwhelm me, but I do know that there shouldn't be any extractions, so I'm not overly anxious.

:sleepyjuice:
You are so brave! Share some of that courage with me. I’ve got my appointment tomorrow and I am unraveling fast.

You are so brave! Share some of that courage with me. I’ve got my appointment tomorrow and I am unraveling fast.
Thank you ?

You can do it! The fact you've made an appointment means you already have courage. So just summon up a bit of that for tomorrow and you'll do great!

Easier said than done, I know that, you will be nervous, but you'll feel sooo much better for having done it and not having to wonder anymore. Once the fear of the unknown is away it's a lot easier.

All the best!

Hi Regina! My story is so so so similar to yours. I'm 35, having my very first dental experiences now, with a list similar to yours to tackle. Have you had your deep cleaning yet? I'm also told I'm on the border of severe gingivitis and mild periodontitis, and I need a full mouth scaling and root planing, ie deep cleaning (in the US.) Wondering about your experience so far!

Hi Regina! My story is so so so similar to yours. I'm 35, having my very first dental experiences now, with a list similar to yours to tackle. Have you had your deep cleaning yet? I'm also told I'm on the border of severe gingivitis and mild periodontitis, and I need a full mouth scaling and root planing, ie deep cleaning (in the US.) Wondering about your experience so far!
HiCourageAndBraveryASAP!

I've just read some of your posts, you're doing great!

I haven't had my deep cleaning yet. I decided to wait and get it included in everything else that needs approval, rather than pay extra. So I still feel a bit like I'm just sitting back doing nothing while my teeth don't get any better. Then I remind myself that if that wasn't the case, I would have had to pay for everything myself and I'd never be able to afford that. So it's helping me to be patient!

I'm afraid you'll probably overtake me with everything so I won't have much to offer in the way of advice. Just moral support... Go you! :cheer2:

Thanks, @ReginaPhalange (btw, this username cracked me up and made me want to binge Friends, which so far I've resisted). I'm sure it isn't the case that I'll overtake you. But maybe you'll have some parts done first and I'll have some done first and we can compare. So happy you're out there in the world though. :)

Thanks, @ReginaPhalange (btw, this username cracked me up and made me want to binge Friends, which so far I've resisted). I'm sure it isn't the case that I'll overtake you. But maybe you'll have some parts done first and I'll have some done first and we can compare. So happy you're out there in the world though. :)
Haha, I think I was in the middle of a Friends binge when I made the account.
I also sympathised a bit with Rachel when she was in labour for what seemed like forever and everyone else was in and out while she was going crazy ? But the baby was eventually born and I'm sure my half decent mouth will eventually come too!

Looking forward to comparing with you!

They're talking about teeth at work AGAIN! The subject doesn't make me want to run away like I would have in the past, but I would prefer a change of topic, just because I still have nothing to say! I can just see how that conversation would go...
"Your tooth broke last week and you have an appointment booked? Oh, a few of mine broke too years ago."
"What did they do?"
"Nothing. I'm waiting for them to get back to me. I've been waiting 10 weeks so far."
"10 weeks??"
"Yes, it's because I need soooo much done because I didn't go for 20 odd years."

Actually, if I did say all that and added that it was because I had been terrified, they would probably be sympathetic. But I don't want to!

Yes, tomorrow it will be ten weeks of the up to twelve weeks for NHS approval. I had thought that by March I would have at least had something done. Maybe by summer it will have started ?

Excuse my ramblings!

I just got a text message saying my check up is now due, telling me to call to make an appointment. Check up?? Maybe that's just a standard text they send. I'm sure I've had my check up and it's lots of treatment I need. Or maybe since it's been months I need another check up before they do anything.

I know, all I have to do is call them and it'll be sorted, but I hate making phone calls, especially for something like this. I was hoping they would email me since that was the previous contact.
Come on, just do it and get it over with! I will. Soon... :hidesbehindsofa:

Phone calls are so hard.... they just are . :hidesbehindsofa::frantic: