• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Finally made first appointment

@CourageAndBraveryASAP @Dg6300 @letsconnect thanks so much!

The numbness has worn off now. My jaw on that side is a bit sore, but only when I open my mouth. I don't feel like I need to take anything though (plenty of ibuprofen left for next time!).

I just had some soup for dinner as I don't want proper solid food yet.

I did see on the NHS website that they're supposed to use a dam, but I'm really not comfortable with questioning him (not him specifically, I feel very at ease with him, just questioning in general). I know that's what I should do but I think I'd rather just focus on the good. Which is everything else!

Another big deal (for me), is that when asked by a friend how my day was, I actually said I went to the dentist and had root treatment. She was sympathetic and I found myself telling her it was fine, as if I did that kind of thing all the time. When I went to my first appointment back in December I didn't tell a soul I was going. Now it feels like I can join in dental conversations without cringing!

:bounces:

@CourageAndBraveryASAP @Dg6300 @letsconnect thanks so much!

The numbness has worn off now. My jaw on that side is a bit sore, but only when I open my mouth. I don't feel like I need to take anything though (plenty of ibuprofen left for next time!).

I just had some soup for dinner as I don't want proper solid food yet.

I did see on the NHS website that they're supposed to use a dam, but I'm really not comfortable with questioning him (not him specifically, I feel very at ease with him, just questioning in general). I know that's what I should do but I think I'd rather just focus on the good. Which is everything else!

Another big deal (for me), is that when asked by a friend how my day was, I actually said I went to the dentist and had root treatment. She was sympathetic and I found myself telling her it was fine, as if I did that kind of thing all the time. When I went to my first appointment back in December I didn't tell a soul I was going. Now it feels like I can join in dental conversations without cringing!

:bounces:
Congrats Regina. Your much stronger then Me.

Congrats Regina. Your much stronger then Me.
I'm not much stronger than you. I had broken teeth for years without ever facing my fear and doing anything about it. I was 38 before I built up the courage to make an appointment. A lot of it was thanks to the success stories and articles about specific fears, making the appointment etc, on this website, but it was a few years before I joined it.

Courage doesn't mean not being afraid, it means doing it despite being afraid.

Yes, I am happy with myself for getting this far, but honestly, today wasn't the strongest I've had to be. The strongest I have been was when I actually pressed Send on the first email just making an enquiry. Because that was the most scared I felt and I did something anyway. I wasn't terrified today, just nervous, so I didn't have to be as strong.

I'm not sure if that makes much sense. My point is, whatever stage you are on the journey (even making an account here), you are being strong. Just keep going.

It sounds like your biggest hurdle was overcoming fear of the unknown and now you are on a pretty steady climb to the top! Congrats on making it through today! I will cross my fingers everything goes smoothly with healing and the crown. When is your next appointment?

It sounds like your biggest hurdle was overcoming fear of the unknown
Definitely. That and the shame factor. I didn't want to open my mouth to anyone. But once I'd done it at the first appointment and the dentist was still nice, I knew that from then on he wouldn't be shocked at anything or tell me off, and was just going to be doing his job, like any of us do if we have to fix something. The shame is still there to an extent. When friends asked what happened/why I needed it, I said a tooth had broken. I didn't say it broke years ago or that I went for a check up 4 months ago but it took this long because I need so much work done that the NHS had to approve it.

I have a long way to go, especially if appointments are going to take ages to get (not complaining, if I was their private patient it may be fast forwarded, but I'm so grateful to not need loans or to borrow from family that I'm willing to be a patient patient), but for the first time ever, my teeth are in a better condition than they were the day before.

My next appointment is next Friday afternoon. I did what I thought i would on the phone that time and agreed to next Tuesday then hung up and remembered I have to work that day and I had to call them back :rolleyes:

Yes shame is a big obstacle for many people and I do not think that dentists realize the impact of that. They seem to think the major fear is pain but for many phobics, that is actually not the case. You don’t have to share all of the details with friends although you’d probably be surprised about how many dental phobics are actually around you that you aren’t aware of. It’s more common than you realize.

That is a very encouraging way to look at things that “your teeth are in a better condition than they were the day before.” I really like that!

That’s not too long of a wait for the next appointment. You may find as appointments are closer together, the nerves fade considerably. That’s how it is has been in my experience.

That is a very encouraging way to look at things that “your teeth are in a better condition than they were the day before.” I really like that!
I think that came to my head because I had been thinking the opposite when it took so long to get the approval. That my teeth weren't any better than they were months ago. It felt like there was no progress. But now I just have to remember that the opposite is true.

That’s not too long of a wait for the next appointment. You may find as appointments are closer together, the nerves fade considerably. That’s how it is has been in my experience
When the approval first came in, I was to make two appointments a week apart. It was a while before they were available, but the dentist was on holiday so hopefully from now on they'll be fairly close together.

I'm not much stronger than you. I had broken teeth for years without ever facing my fear and doing anything about it. I was 38 before I built up the courage to make an appointment. A lot of it was thanks to the success stories and articles about specific fears, making the appointment etc, on this website, but it was a few years before I joined it.

Courage doesn't mean not being afraid, it means doing it despite being afraid.

Yes, I am happy with myself for getting this far, but honestly, today wasn't the strongest I've had to be. The strongest I have been was when I actually pressed Send on the first email just making an enquiry. Because that was the most scared I felt and I did something anyway. I wasn't terrified today, just nervous, so I didn't have to be as strong.

I'm not sure if that makes much sense. My point is, whatever stage you are on the journey (even making an account here), you are being strong. Just keep going.
Yes Your stronger then Me. I am a Weak Person. Remember I am retarded.

I'm a bit late on this, but: congrats, well done and so glad it all went well! :jump::jump::jump:
Nice to read your dentist kept on checking on you and offered you to get a break whenever you like. I was a bit surprised about the rubber dam not being used, however I have also an rct tooth that has been there for 16 years without troubles.

All the best wishes and let us know how you get on :)

I'm a bit late on this, but: congrats, well done and so glad it all went well! :jump::jump::jump:
Nice to read your dentist kept on checking on you and offered you to get a break whenever you like. I was a bit surprised about the rubber dam not being used, however I have also an rct tooth that has been there for 16 years without troubles.

All the best wishes and let us know how you get on :)
Thanks so much ?
The anaesthetic was the only time it was sore-ish (but not enough to want to stop him). For some reason I kind of forgot that meant it would be a jag and when I saw it I thought "uh oh, that's a needle", and closed my eyes. But it definitely didn't put me off getting the next one.

The only thing is that my jaw is still a bit sore on that side. Just when I open it quite wide, like yawning. It's not agony, but it's been 5 days. Is that normal?? Sorry if that question has been asked hundreds of times :redface:

The only thing is that my jaw is still a bit sore on that side. Just when I open it quite wide, like yawning. It's not agony, but it's been 5 days. Is that normal?? Sorry if that question has been asked hundreds of times :redface:

I have no idea if that's normal, however I have heard that after being numbed in the lower jaw some people might have a kind of bruise for few days that can be painful, if that is how it feels like. You could consider to put it into the ask a dentist section or give your dental practice a call? They are surely used to reply to questions like this.

@Enarete thanks, I've just posted on the ask a dentist section. I didn't want to bother them but I guess they'll know best!

I guess the more work I get done, the more I'll know what to ask at the appointment. And preferably before getting numb when I can still speak!

Part 2 over.

I told the dentist my jaw was still sore so he gave me a different anaesthetic. I don't think it was as strong as I didn't feel as numb as the last time. I felt a bit more of what was going on, but I still wouldn't really call it pain. Although he did have to ask me a couple of times to open a bit wider, which I managed to do, but that did hurt my jaw a little.

I thought he was putting a crown on it but I think it was just a filling. He also put a filling on a tooth on the top.

It felt like it took a while, but it was ok. I had my eyes open a lot more this time so it was "interesting" to see what was happening. Turns out I'm not scared of the instruments but I think I used to be.

Then he told me I was done and I was to make the next couple of appointments (not till May 7&23) for the right side. I think that means the left side of my mouth is all done (apart from the perio treatment). So I have half a healthy mouth?? Getting there!

Incidentally, while I was waiting, the nurse came and called another patient through. The three times I have been, the dentist himself has come to get me. I wonder if that's because I had said in my first email that I was nervous or if it's just a coincidence. It's not something I would have thought of but I've read a few people on here appreciate their dentist getting them personally. So that's nice if it is why!

And I bumped into two acquaintances after ? The first just said hi and kept walking which I was glad of. The second saw me sitting in my car and came up. I told him I'd just been to the dentist and he said he'd catch me another time when I feel better. Hopefully I didn't come across as rude!

I don't know how I feel now. I should be really happy it's done and went well, and I am. I think I'm just quite tired. Might have a nap :drool::sleep:

Regina,

Wow , sounds you did really well managing keeping open despite a sore jaw and through feeling a bit more. I hope you can get some good rest and reward yourself somehow for a job well done. I love taking naps after dental work when possible.. That is nice your dentist came and got you , very personal. :). I've heard of that too for those who have mentioned anxiety. :you-rock::welldone:

Thanks very much @krlovesherkids777
I had a good rest :)
I think I'll reward myself with a glass of wine later :sleepyjuice:
Last week I got myself a watch. I was getting it anyway in the sale, I just happened to order it the same day as the start of my treatment, so I'll treat it as a reward and every time I look at the time I can remind myself I'm capable of things!

It is typical that they will put a temporary filling on a tooth right after a root canal and allow time for the tooth to settle and then after a few weeks, they will go back and crown it. Usually you get a temp crown first while you wait for the permanent to be made (they take impressions and send it off to a lab). Then you will come back to replace the temp with the permanent after a week or two. I don’t think a root canal tooth is stable enough to hold up long-term without a crown to protect it.

I used to always shut my eyes tight for the duration of any treatment until I met my current dentist. Strangely, I don’t think I’ve ever closed my eyes with her but she’s always talked to me a lot more throughout appointments than other dentists so I guess it would just feel awkward to close my eyes.

Regina,

Sounds like lovely rewards :) especially the watch to always remember , that is great :) I hope you are getting some rest and feeling good after.

I feel like I always need a nap after any kind of dental work. I think I just have a complete adrenaline surge due to nerves and crash afterward. I always feel pretty worthless the rest of the day lol

@krlovesherkids777 thanks. Yes, I felt better after my nap. Had some soft dinner then that glass of wine and now ready for a proper sleep. The numbing has worn off and I'm not in any pain, other than the jaw pain I already had from last week. But even that feels like it's getting better. I can yawn bigger than before! So I haven't taken any more ibuprofen (I took 2 just before the appointment to try and help with keeping open).

@kitkat that must have been my problem. I was in a strange mood after, but I think I just needed to sleep! Thankfully my next 2 appointments are for late afternoon so I'll be able to go home and rest then too.