• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Finally plucked up the courage and been advised..

M

MarkGeordie88

Hi guys,

I basically haven't seen a dentist for around 12 years and I am now 30. I know my teeth have got worse, look bad and I get a lot of pain and I eventually decided I needed to pluck up the courage and go and see one, so I spoke to a few practices regarding my concerns, fears and general phobia and found one I liked and went there this morning.

I needed to make them aware that I was petrified, and also have type one diabetes and registered partially sighted.

Anyway to cut it short, they have basically said there are teeth on the bottom that are fine and can be saved, but some of the bottom teeth and all of the top need to be out, because of the phobia thing they have suggested all in one go might be the best option and I could go with a dentist doing it under sedation or going to a hospital and getting GA, they are going to get back to me anyway as she wasn't sure if they would do sedation with my diabetes.

They couldn't say how long I would wait for GA as it depends on waiting lists.

Although I'm glad I went, I'm more terrified now about the extractions and partial denture.

You’ve already demonstrated a lot of courage.

Keep posting here. Good luck.

Ah, thanks, that means a lot to hear.

I agree with DG6300.. You are most definately courageous. Going after such a long period of time, speaking to a few practices to see which one you felt most comfortable, then going and letting them know of your fears!! This is hard news to hear you have to lose some, and partials. I also got several extractions and a partial at the age of 31. The partial was actually the best thing that happened to my teeth at that point. I really hope the best for you in this all. Keep us up to date on your journey!

Just wanted to pop back and say thanks.

Had a lot of thoughts about it all and questions, which is terrifying me.

My referral went through for extraction with GA.

Got the letter this morning to ring up and get booked in for an assessment, can’t be seen until 11th September which is both a relief but a nightmare.

You can do it. Keep us posted.

You’ve already come a long way.

Very well done for having come so far. I get the feeling of relief and a nightmare at once and if you are like the most people, there will be quite a rollercoaster until then but the most important thing is that you are moving forward. We have a journal section here if you feel like writing out your worries might help you to get through the waiting time and if you look around you will also find a lot of success stories.

All the best wishes, keep us posted and do not forget to give yourself a huge pat on your back.

Yeah I will keep you all updated, you have all been great. Thanks for the support as its much appreciated.

Back