• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Finally scheduled an appoitment :D what do you think is gonna happen tomorrow?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ilostmynewunicorn
  • Start date Start date
I

ilostmynewunicorn

Member
Joined
May 1, 2015
Messages
37
Finally scheduled an appoitment :D what do you think is gonna happen tomorrow?

So after my old dentist not being able to properly numb me and do a painless root canal, I finally took the next step and went to a new dentist today, and scheduled an appt. for tomorrow after lunch.

The receptionist (who was wearing gloves so probably was an assistant/dentist as well) asked me if I was having pain, I told her I was thinking about leaving my current dentist and that I had an infected tooth for 2 months now (I didn't tell her that I've been in antibiotics already or that I'm very anxious and have panic attacks since there were lots of people in the waiting room and I decided to save the details for the dentist herself).

She scheduled a "first time appointment" for tomorrow at 3 pm. She seemed to want to schedule it ASAP, she wanted to do it right then or this same afternoon, but I pulled an all-nighter so I really didn't have the patience for that.

She told me the price would be around $50, so I think I'm safe assuming there will be no treatment involved, most likely it will be a check-up of the current situation and a small talk about future treatments. I forgot to ask her if she offers insurance (my current dentist does and routine treatments are 40% cheaper. Treatments on stuff that can be life-threatening if left untreated - i.e. the infection I have right now - go as far as 60-70% off) Sleepness is taking its toll right now and I don't have the will to call them and ask if they offer insurance so I don't know what to do. I don't feel comfortable showing up at 3 pm and refusing to go through with the appt. if they don't offer it, so most likely I will call them in the morning and call off the appointment if they don't take insurances and think about this a little bit more.

Anyways, on the hopes that they do allow insurances, I'm so glad I'm getting this over it. I'm kinda scared I'm starting to get treated tomorrow though since I like to have a 1-2 weeks notice to get ready before a treatment.
Do you think there's any chance for that to happen?
 
Re: Finally scheduled an appoitment :D what do you think is gonna happen tomorrow?

So after my old dentist not being able to properly numb me and do a painless root canal, I finally took the next step and went to a new dentist today, and scheduled an appt. for tomorrow after lunch.

The receptionist (who was wearing gloves so probably was an assistant/dentist as well) asked me if I was having pain, I told her I was thinking about leaving my current dentist and that I had an infected tooth for 2 months now (I didn't tell her that I've been in antibiotics already or that I'm very anxious and have panic attacks since there were lots of people in the waiting room and I decided to save the details for the dentist herself).

She scheduled a "first time appointment" for tomorrow at 3 pm. She seemed to want to schedule it ASAP, she wanted to do it right then or this same afternoon, but I pulled an all-nighter so I really didn't have the patience for that.

She told me the price would be around $50, so I think I'm safe assuming there will be no treatment involved, most likely it will be a check-up of the current situation and a small talk about future treatments. I forgot to ask her if she offers insurance (my current dentist does and routine treatments are 40% cheaper. Treatments on stuff that can be life-threatening if left untreated - i.e. the infection I have right now - go as far as 60-70% off) Sleepness is taking its toll right now and I don't have the will to call them and ask if they offer insurance so I don't know what to do. I don't feel comfortable showing up at 3 pm and refusing to go through with the appt. if they don't offer it, so most likely I will call them in the morning and call off the appointment if they don't take insurances and think about this a little bit more.

Anyways, on the hopes that they do allow insurances, I'm so glad I'm getting this over it. I'm kinda scared I'm starting to get treated tomorrow though since I like to have a 1-2 weeks notice to get ready before a treatment.
Do you think there's any chance for that to happen?

Hi...i have a dental appointment for a wisdom tooth tomorrow and I am petrified about going..so I sympathise completely with how you are feeling...

If you don't feel up to calling your dentist surgery to enquire about the insurance issue is there a family member or friend who could call on your behalf?...or maybe does the dental surgery have an email address where you could email them your questions?

about turning up at 3pm and then not having the appointment ....would the dentist give you a fine?...here in the UK you have to give them 24 hrs notice before cancelling otherwise they fine the patient...

About them giving you 1-2 weeks notice to get ready for your dental treatment....im like that too..dentists usually let you choose an appointment that suits you...if you want one in 1-2 weeks rather than in 1-2 days then make sure you let the secretary know

I hope you have a good experience at the dentist tomorrow...please let us all know how you get on at your appointment
 
Re: Finally scheduled an appoitment :D what do you think is gonna happen tomorrow?

Hi...i have a dental appointment for a wisdom tooth tomorrow and I am petrified about going..so I sympathise completely with how you are feeling...

If you don't feel up to calling your dentist surgery to enquire about the insurance issue is there a family member or friend who could call on your behalf?...or maybe does the dental surgery have an email address where you could email them your questions?

about turning up at 3pm and then not having the appointment ....would the dentist give you a fine?...here in the UK you have to give them 24 hrs notice before cancelling otherwise they fine the patient...

About them giving you 1-2 weeks notice to get ready for your dental treatment....im like that too..dentists usually let you choose an appointment that suits you...if you want one in 1-2 weeks rather than in 1-2 days then make sure you let the secretary know

I hope you have a good experience at the dentist tomorrow...please let us all know how you get on at your appointment

Hi there :)

In Portugal patients don't get fined for missing appointments (at least I was never in a dentist that did fine people). At most next time they schedule you whenever they want and they don't care about your complaints. And if you keep missing eventually they reject you as a client.

About the insurance thingy, either me or my mother will call them in the morning so it's all good.

Regarding your treatment tomorrow, I wish all the best in the world. I sent you a PM with more details about how I cope with that :)

Thank you so much for the answer and the helpful tips :)
 
Re: Finally scheduled an appoitment :D what do you think is gonna happen tomorrow?

Hi,

The financial costs are an integral part of the dental service, so it is important to clarify it. It sounds to me like an informative question which you can ask over the phone. As a dentist I can tell you that there are many solutions when it comes to payments. Sometimes a 3 minutes discussion yields the proper financial arrangement (payments, spreading the treatments over a couple of years and more).
In my opinion, it is more important you share your bad experience and see how the new dentist addresses your concerns.
 
Re: Finally scheduled an appoitment :D what do you think is gonna happen tomorrow?

Hi,

The financial costs are an integral part of the dental service, so it is important to clarify it. It sounds to me like an informative question which you can ask over the phone. As a dentist I can tell you that there are many solutions when it comes to payments. Sometimes a 3 minutes discussion yields the proper financial arrangement (payments, spreading the treatments over a couple of years and more).
In my opinion, it is more important you share your bad experience and see how the new dentist addresses your concerns.

I have already cleared the insurance questions over the phone with them :)

What about tomorrow's appt.? Do you think they will jump right into a treatment? I'm kinda scared they do that, I prefer to be told "We will be doing X in 2 weeks" so that I have enough time to meditate and get ready, I don't like going in "blindly" without knowing what to expect. Besides from my experience, $50 is a bit short, even fillings cost more than that, let alone a root canal (no idea about extractions or X-rays though since I never did either).

Or will it be a "let's meet" kind of thing, where we sit and talk about past experiences, and she does a quick check-up before actually marking a treatment?

Thanks for answering :)
 
Re: Finally scheduled an appoitment :D what do you think is gonna happen tomorrow?

In my experience, a first appointment is always just a look around and taking catalogue of any visible issues, x-rays to really check out how the teeth are looking, and then working out a treatment plan.

Good luck!
 
Re: Finally scheduled an appoitment :D what do you think is gonna happen tomorrow?

Hi there :)

In Portugal patients don't get fined for missing appointments (at least I was never in a dentist that did fine people). At most next time they schedule you whenever they want and they don't care about your complaints. And if you keep missing eventually they reject you as a client.

About the insurance thingy, either me or my mother will call them in the morning so it's all good.

Regarding your treatment tomorrow, I wish all the best in the world. I sent you a PM with more details about how I cope with that :)

Thank you so much for the answer and the helpful tips :)

That's great that they won't give you a fine...you are so lucky;D

Whenever they offer you an appointment if its not on a date you want (say they offer it in two days and you want it in a week or two say to them " oh I'm sorry but that's not convenient I have x on that day (and make up an excuse for why you cant be there) and then say what other dates and times are available and hopefully trying that will get you a date and time you want..

I got your PM'S thank you very much for the suggestions...i will definitely be going to my appointment today armed with the tips and advice you gave me...good luck for your appointment at 3pm...by the time my appointment is over you will be starting yours so I hope it goes well for you and that you get the treatment you are wanting:)
 
Re: Finally scheduled an appoitment :D what do you think is gonna happen tomorrow?

Update

Went to the dentist today and she took some x-rays and a look around. Apparently I'm going to need a root canal to fix the broken infected tooth. She put a temporary paste in there (no drilling) and the top part already fell off after a few hours. Don't know whether that was to be expected or not.

I also found out that my old dentist didn't finish her root canal. I kinda lost myself when talking to this new dentist at this point because I think the conversation went two different ways.
I told her how I stillf felt pain in my old dentist when she was using the files after completing the root canal, and so she took an x-ray and showed me that the root canal hadn't been finished because the tooth was still hollow inside, which doesn't answer my complaints about the pain at all.

Other than that I think it went pretty good. She told me that they don't do painful injections in the pulp for a root canal. Rather, if they see that the infection is getting in the way, they'll use a solution that is much quicker and less painful (if anyone knows what solution this is, please tell me as well as the degree of pain I should expect please :)).

Going back in a few days to schedule the root canal. They didn't prescribe me any antibiotics which I think is kinda weird.
 
Back
Top