• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First appointment in 18 years next Tuesday

H

Hancock49321

Made my first appointment about a month ago, after putting it off for 18 years…roughly. Very weird considering a huge fear of mine is have to have any front teeth (any teeth really) extracted. Why have I put it off for so long? No idea, but I finally decided I just need to do it

As of about 5 years ago, I have started flossing every single night after brushing. I’ve always brushed twice a day. I even run those flossers along my gum lines sometimes. I have no pain or doscomfort with any teeth. I’m mainly worried about my bottom front gum line. Seem a little inflamed, but not dark red and I have a rear permanent retainer from braces which makes those difficult to floss. I have no blood when I brush, maybe sometimes if I floss a bit hard on accident. Aside from my front bottom gums, I feel they are in pretty good shape. But I feel like they are all slightly inflamed. I don’t know. I’m rambling. I eat pretty healthy. Not many processed sugars at all. I’m in good shape. That’s where I get angry with myself is I take such good care of myself….except I’ve put off the dentist for way too long now. No matter how many success stories I read, I think I can’t compare and my mouth is the worst. My biggest worry is my bottom front teeth. I hope they don’t need to come out

Sorry for the random ramble. A lot of the support I’ve read on here has been helpful, but I can’t get the “what if” out of my mind

@Hancock49321 I doubt they will need to extact your bottom front teeth, as you say you have took care of your teeth and brushed twice a day and flossing so I wouldn't worry to much about it. You might only need a filling or two or maybe just a scale and polish. Good luck

I totally understand how you are feeling. I have my first appt since I was 13 (am 35 now) in about a week and a half. It is so hard to not let your mind go crazy and not let the fear and anxiety take over. I find myself thinking all time time, "There's no hope. It's going to be the end of the world. This is the BIGGEST deal ever." Because, to me, it is.

This forum is a huge help. I've realized making that appt is a huge first step, and I just have to make it through the waiting and get there. Even though I am absolutely terrified and constantly thinking the worst.

Whatever happens, hopefully it will not be nearly as bad as you have made it out in your mind to be! Sending you good luck for your appointment!

I find myself thinking all time time, "There's no hope. It's going to be the end of the world.
That's exactly how I feel. I even stop working on any hobbies because I feel like "What's the point, it's all over now." People who are lucky enough to not have this type of anxiety just can't understand how terrifying it is. I've had actual nightmares about it when I was younger.

Hancock49321,

Hello and :welcome: to DFC. You are definately in the company of many who understand how awful the "what ifs" are replaying time and time again sometimes for years or decades who freeze us from moving and getting into the dental office.

It does sound like you are doing an amazing job of selfcare and taking care of your teeth , it doesn't negate how hard it is mentally to think of of. Usually most the time it is not near the bad news we come up with in our heads. I know that is true for me.

I think also now so many dentists are more compassionate and anxious friendly I think they are actually having more training on this which is a good thing. Just remember you are worth kind compassionate treatment from your dental team! I hope it all goes well. let us know!!:grouphug:

Thanks for the replies everyone. It’s really appreciated. Will be under the scope in about an hour ! I’m actually much more nervous than I anticipated I’d be

Just got out. Not as bad as I thought. Just need bottom wisdom teeth out due to coming under a molar. 6 tiny cavities that will be a breeze to take care of. On the road to oral health ! If you’re on the fence, just do it!!!

@Kml1998 thank you. I cannot believe the weight that was lifted walking out of that office. Back on the 8th to finish cleaning and have cavities filled. My bottom gums were the worst I believe like I thought. But not as bad as I figured they would be. She just said they were inflamed from tartar build up over time and removed the tartar.

Overall, I consider myself very lucky. I also believe the fact I have taken very good care of myself (besides going to the dentist) helped me too. I stay away from sodas and processed sugary foods. I eat a lot of vegetables and fruits and grains; not much meat. I’m an avid mountain biker. Anyways, non relevant

If you haven’t gone in awhile, go now!!! If there are any issues, they won’t just magically resolve. Make an appointment and go! It’s a good feeling. A very very good feeling

@deeflannery either way you look at it, no matter what the outcome is, you are on the right path. I was losing my mind in the waiting room. As soon as they got X-rays done and she say there are no infections, I felt a bit better. Then I told her how long it has been since I’ve seen a dentist. She didn’t bat an eye. Then told me she was surprised that there was no visible tartar build up on the X-ray for how long I had been away. I thought my teeth and gums were trash. Turns out there is just a lot of build up under my gum line. Some of my chart readings were higher measurements than they like to see but, as long as I keep up the work and visit the dentist, it’s all fixable. Nothing was even said about any gum disease.

I bet your appointment won’t be too bad. With modern dentistry, I think I’d you don’t have any aches or pains or loose teeth, they can get your mouth all tuned up. Seriously, I am pleasantly surprised at how far dentistry has come. Good luck!!!

@Hancock49321 Thanks so much! My appt is tomorrow, and am trying to keep myself busy and distracted so that the anxiety of it doesn't get too bad. My sister is going to come with me to my appt just in case, which I think will be helpful. At this point, I know what will be will be, and just have to face the fear. I feel if I can get through these 24 hours and make it to the appointment, that will be a huge accomplishment! Fingers crossed, and thanks so much for taking the time to reply. This forum is actually a huge help! I hope everything is going well for you in your journey as well!

You’ll be fine. Trust me, I was dang near a wreck in the waiting room. As soon as I got back with the hygienist, 75% of the fear I’d had for a couple months before my appointment, and up to the day of it, was gone. You get this sense of knowing you are doing what needs to absolutely be done and it sort of puts you at peace (for me anyways, it did). When they say dentistr has come along way, it’s no joke. The environment is so much more at ease than what I remember. Your appointment will be fine. You’re on the right path and the weight that will lift off of your shoulders when you walk out will be worth it in itself

Good luck to you!!!

@Hancock49321 Hi! It went okay. Was sick to my stomach before, but got through. Was upfront about my anxiety and everyone I interacted with was kind and understanding. The dentist came in before my initial cleaning to reassure me, which I appreciated. Have my first real cleaning on Friday, and will go over my plan with the coordinator. Initially, I need two extractions and some fillings. But the dentist assured me I will have at least nitrous for everything so that helps. The hardest part of the whole appt was honestly sitting in the chair and opening my mouth. It was hard, but I did it! Feel a weight lifted off my chest!

Thank you so much for checking in! This forum is such a great help! Hope things are going okay for you as well!!!

@deeflannery good to hear. Best part, now you know. No more unknowns. Now you are on your way to better days! Good work!!!

I have cavities filled next week and then a week or so after that, my cleaning. Need to make an appointment for wisdom teeth extraction

@Hancock49321 YAY! So proud of you and happy for this step of bravery.

Had my cleaning today. Thought I was going to have cavities taken care of. Wrong. That’s in a couple weeks. The cleaning went well. It wasn’t terribly enjoyable, but hopefully it was the worst of the cleanings. Hygienist actually said I have nice tight teeth. Lol. Cavities on the 22nd, appt for wisdom teeth. Best of all, next cleaning in December! If you haven’t made the appointment to get in, do it now. lol he longer you wait the tougher it’s going to be. Just think, if you make the appointment now, you will be a nervous wreck. BUT, if you wait until you have pain and you KNOW something is wrong, then you still have to make an appointment. Except you will have the normal anxiety along with the anxiety of knowing something is for sure wrong. Like the saying goes, take care of yourself now or you will be forced to at some point. (Something like that).

GET TO THE DENTIST AND MAKE IT A HABIT!!! I’ve already scheduled my next cleaning for December

Figured I would give an update as it’s been some time. Ended up having fillings taken care of. No issues. No pain except a molar in the back which I believe was being aggravated from me grinding teeth at night. A mouth guard fixed this issue as the dentist said there were no issues with the filling or tooth.

Made an appointment for wisdom teeth consultation in October. Consultation was made for November 22nd. Then a couple days after I made that appointment I had some of the worst pain of my life in my left lower wisdom tooth. Horrendous, I wish it on nobody. Ended up dealing with it for a week, miserable and hating my life. It got to a point where I called the oral surgeons office and told them what was going on. Ended up getting them pulled October 14. Everything was great. Healing process went ok.

Now, just had my 6 month cleaning this morning from my cleaning in June. No cavities, and dentist said “everything looks really good “

I’m back on track. If I put it off for 18 years and got back to it, so can you. It feels so good

Cheers!

@Hancock49321 Well done. I'm so proud of you. Have you seen my posts and what do you think of my situation?. I have autism and I have very high levels of anxiety.

Back