• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First Tooth Extraction & IV Sedation.... Very Nervous!

G

gem83

Hello!

I'm new and this is my very first post! I've been lurking and reading posts on here for a while but would really like to hear of some positive experiences of having a tooth extraction under IV sedation.

I've never had a tooth out so have no clue what to expect and I've never been sedated before either.

I have a lower molar on my right side that has a failed root canal and a crown that needs removing. I'm booked in for 3 April 2017 and to say I'm nervous is very much an understatement ?

Can anyone help settle my nerves by sharing there experience of an extraction under IV sedation and what I should expect and any tips on trying to remain calm?

Thank you

Hi. I am going through the same thing. I am due to have 14 teeth out under IV sedation on the 6th April and I too have never experienced sedation and was very worried about it.

I don't have a fear of the extraction but more of a fear of how the sedation is going to feel.

I have had my initial consultation with my surgeon and voiced my concerns to him. He told me that he will be using midazolam and will be administering it a tiny bit at a time so it does not hit me hard. He explained the sensation as feeling a happy drunk without the dizziness. He basicallay said I will feel really good and relaxed but won't care about a thing in the world. He also mentioned is can cause amnesia so 2 hours could seem to feel like 5 mins.

He said I will still be able to follow instructions and the pain will be taken care of with locals in the mouth, the IV is to just make the process easier and better for the patient.

I feel a little happier after my meeting but still having a few restless nights over thinking things.

I am am sure if you are anything like me then we are probably worrying over nothing.

Hi. I am going through the same thing. I am due to have 14 teeth out under IV sedation on the 6th April and I too have never experienced sedation and was very worried about it.

I don't have a fear of the extraction but more of a fear of how the sedation is going to feel.

I have had my initial consultation with my surgeon and voiced my concerns to him. He told me that he will be using midazolam and will be administering it a tiny bit at a time so it does not hit me hard. He explained the sensation as feeling a happy drunk without the dizziness. He basicallay said I will feel really good and relaxed but won't care about a thing in the world. He also mentioned is can cause amnesia so 2 hours could seem to feel like 5 mins.

He said I will still be able to follow instructions and the pain will be taken care of with locals in the mouth, the IV is to just make the process easier and better for the patient.

I feel a little happier after my meeting but still having a few restless nights over thinking things.

I am am sure if you are anything like me then we are probably worrying over nothing.

14 tooth extractions... I feel a real wuss now for worrying about a single extraction!!

I really hope it all goes well for you on the 6th.

I too have been having quite abit of anxiety about this procedure but I've been thinking that it's pointless getting myself worked up about it as it's got to be done... I just need to grin and bear it.

Plus I'm gonna treat myself to something nice afterwards for being brave ??

I think it's just fear of the unknown for me, never been sedated or had an extraction still it gets rid of this infected tooth so it saves that pain coming back and me wanting to chop my head off lol!!

Let me know how you get on with your extractions. Sending you lots of luck!

14 tooth extractions... I feel a real wuss now for worrying about a single extraction!!

I really hope it all goes well for you on the 6th.

I too have been having quite abit of anxiety about this procedure but I've been thinking that it's pointless getting myself worked up about it as it's got to be done... I just need to grin and bear it.

Plus I'm gonna treat myself to something nice afterwards for being brave ??

I think it's just fear of the unknown for me, never been sedated or had an extraction still it gets rid of this infected tooth so it saves that pain coming back and me wanting to chop my head off lol!!

Let me know how you get on with your extractions. Sending you lots of luck!

Honestly I can say that having extractions does not bother me usually once they numb my gum. I have had 6 extracted before without the sedation and never felt a thing. Just some pressure from the pushing by the dentist. I am same as you, fear of the unknown which is why the thought of sedation has left me with quite a few sleepless nights. I have even tried hypnosis and meditation but the anxiety is still there. However, I have now convinced myself that it will be an experience and then in the future if I should have to have any medical tests under sedation, I will not have to go through all this worry.

So so same from me, sending you lots of luck and please post your experience once it is done so you can probably tell me we have both been worrying over nothing lol.

Hi Gem (and anyone else reading this thread who are nervous about having IV Sedation) -

I've had IV sedation for two extractions recently, I had IV sedation for wisdom extractions (all 4 at once, all were impacted) several years ago, I had IV sedation for an implant surgery recently, and I had IV sedation for 2 medical procedures. ALL OF THEM were uneventful and I had very positive experiences. I had zero nausea with any of them. It's important to always follow ALL pre and post procedure instructions and do not deviate without consulting your Dental/Medical provider first. My experiences were basically as follows with minor changes per procedure (Not all were performed by the same Doctor/Oral Surgeon, etc):

The nurse calls me back to the procedure room, I am prepped with sticky pads to monitor my heart during the procedure, I have a finger monitor placed to measure my blood oxygen levels during procedure, and have a BP cuff placed on my arm to monitor my BP several times during procedure. I had an EXCELLENT dental nurse at my last Oral Surgeon...she was just fantastic at calming me and making sure I knew that I was in control and they wouldn't do ANYTHING if I wanted to walk out. Then an Anesthesia Nurse comes in with the Dr. She tells me what she's going to give me (specific drugs), triple checks with me again if I have any drug allergies (This info was given online when I became new patient, I had to sign off that the list hadn't changed every visit and then a 3rd check by the nurse at the procedure). She places an IV in my arm. Then she asks me if I'm ready and says she's going to give me a sedative. Since I've had the IV sedation so many times, I'm always looking forward to it. Literally as soon as she says "I'm going to give you a sedative now" ...I remember nothing after that. Nothing. They say you are able to follow instructions and even walk from the procedure room to recovery room and I have ZERO memory of any of my procedures and I certainly don't remember walking from procedure to recovery room. Most Dr's work off the same cocktail as I understand it and some of the drugs they give you cause retrograde amnesia so that even if you're aware of something during the event, you won't remember it later. Some people say they have flashbacks occasionally about a procedure. It's never once happened to me. Zero memories of any of my IV sedation events.

Also, it's important to know that even tho you're basically out of it, of course they still numb the area they are working on in your mouth. You'll wake up numb and dopey. I asked the nurse last time how they know if you need more local anesthesia, and she told me if I didn't have adequate local anesthesia, my BP would rise, and I would have reacted during surgery so that they could stop immediately and give me more local...and if I got upset or panicked during procedure they would immediately give me more happy juice in my IV. She checked my chart (from previous extract procedure) and showed to me the notes about both local and IV reaction that showed I got minimum amount of IV sedation and had average amount of local -- none needed topping off during the procedure. All of that comforted me that. The Dr was doing his work while also monitoring my vitals, the Anesthesia nurse was there to also monitor vitals and to administer more sedation as needed, and the Dental Nurse was there to assist the Dr and the Anesthesia Nurse as well as monitor vitals. They all made an excellent team and I couldn't have asked for better care. If you're seeing an Oral Surgeon in America, it's important to know that your Oral Surgeon is an MD with additional training in Oral Surgery.

It may be comforting to know that since you are IV sedated and not having general anesthesia like they give during body surgery, the Anesthesia Nurse and Dr. have medications at their disposal that they can use to bring you out of sedation very quickly if the need arises for any reason. All medication has possible side effects, but having IV sedation is exponentially safer than having a general anesthesia.

You'll "wake" in a recovery room and think that only a moment has passed but the extraction site in your mouth is numb. I usually wake up all perky and entirely too happy. Like, stupid happy. I don't know why I have that reaction, but I do. Some people can wake up and be upset or cry. Obviously you can't drive yourself home, and that's something to consider.

There has been one negative in my experiences that I should note: Unfortunately, in most of my medical/dental procedures with IV sedation, the clinic staff seem to rush you out of the clinic. They keep you in recovery for 30-60 minutes generally and they check your BP and blood ox several times to make sure you're recovering well but they're asking you to sit up well before you're ready (you just want to nap!!). I always felt a bit rushed out of my dental IV sedation procedures, and one medical procedure. Another med procedure I was put into a recovery room and allowed to stay as long as I felt comfortable. That was nice.
When you wake, you may feel super tired, and hungry. I'm *always* hungry after not eating for well over 8 hours!! I always stock up on easy to chew foods so that as soon as I get home, I make some soup and eat some pudding, take a pain pill that was RX'd and have a long nap. I wake again a few hours later feeling mostly "normal" except for some tenderness at the extraction site.

I have to say, and I'm not making this up, recovery from extractions is EASY with regards to "pain" following the extraction. It's not really "painful" as much as it's tender and sore. Follow all instructions with regards to pain management after your extractions and you should be fine. Literally, my pain is generally a 3-4 at most following a textbook extraction -- this lasts me less than 30 hours usually. I've never suffered the dreaded dry socket -- but I know people who have. No straws, no smoking and try not to disturb the clot to avoid dry socket!! The discomfort and swelling from extraction shouldn't last more than a few days for most people. If you're currently having pain in the tooth that's scheduled to be extracted, the recovery from extraction will be much easier than the pain your tooth is causing you now!! I do not say this to make you less anxious, it's absolutely true in most cases.

I've read that dental pain is generally caused by inflammation - I tend to have better results with Ibuprofen to keep swelling down after extraction...the RX'd pain pills don't do much for pain, they just make you so dopey that you're not as aware of the pain (or not as anxious about it)...this is just my experience, others may have different experience with pain meds. I take the Ibuprofen *with* the pain pills for best relief. Again, just my experience. Follow your Dr's advice and always make sure you're not taking something that will have a negative interaction with other meds you're taking, incl vitamins. Check with your pharmacist to be sure.

Overall, I've had nothing but excellent experiences. Well, as excellent as possible considering the circumstances. I don't have any horror stories about having extractions. I've never been awake for an extraction but I've heard it's rather quick and a lot easier than most people think it will be. The tooth isn't "pulled" as much as it's wiggled out of the socket (as was explained to me by my Oral Surgeon). Honestly, I'm surprised they offer IV sedation for a single extract -- it's over within minutes. Literally. It takes much more time to prep you with all the cuffs, sticky pads, double checking your allergies, placing an IV, confirming what procedure and which tooth you're having extracted and then getting you to "sleep"...all of that takes more time that the actual dentistry! There are occasions of complications, but it's never happened to me. And it's so expensive!! But if you're nervous, it will certainly keep you comfortable.

You'll be fine. Think positive thoughts and go in the clinic with confidence because you can do this!!

Good luck. ;)

Honestly I can say that having extractions does not bother me usually once they numb my gum. I have had 6 extracted before without the sedation and never felt a thing. Just some pressure from the pushing by the dentist. I am same as you, fear of the unknown which is why the thought of sedation has left me with quite a few sleepless nights. I have even tried hypnosis and meditation but the anxiety is still there. However, I have now convinced myself that it will be an experience and then in the future if I should have to have any medical tests under sedation, I will not have to go through all this worry.

So so same from me, sending you lots of luck and please post your experience once it is done so you can probably tell me we have both been worrying over nothing lol.

I'm not sure if I could be fully aware whilst having an extraction, I'm worried I'd try and leave halfway through lol! And for me the least I know the better! I will defo post back on this post after it is done so I can try and put your mind at ease with hopefully a positive experience story! Fingers crossed!!!

Hi Gem (and anyone else reading this thread who are nervous about having IV Sedation) -

I've had IV sedation for two extractions recently, I had IV sedation for wisdom extractions (all 4 at once, all were impacted) several years ago, I had IV sedation for an implant surgery recently, and I had IV sedation for 2 medical procedures. ALL OF THEM were uneventful and I had very positive experiences. I had zero nausea with any of them. It's important to always follow ALL pre and post procedure instructions and do not deviate without consulting your Dental/Medical provider first. My experiences were basically as follows with minor changes per procedure (Not all were performed by the same Doctor/Oral Surgeon, etc):

The nurse calls me back to the procedure room, I am prepped with sticky pads to monitor my heart during the procedure, I have a finger monitor placed to measure my blood oxygen levels during procedure, and have a BP cuff placed on my arm to monitor my BP several times during procedure. I had an EXCELLENT dental nurse at my last Oral Surgeon...she was just fantastic at calming me and making sure I knew that I was in control and they wouldn't do ANYTHING if I wanted to walk out. Then an Anesthesia Nurse comes in with the Dr. She tells me what she's going to give me (specific drugs), triple checks with me again if I have any drug allergies (This info was given online when I became new patient, I had to sign off that the list hadn't changed every visit and then a 3rd check by the nurse at the procedure). She places an IV in my arm. Then she asks me if I'm ready and says she's going to give me a sedative. Since I've had the IV sedation so many times, I'm always looking forward to it. Literally as soon as she says "I'm going to give you a sedative now" ...I remember nothing after that. Nothing. They say you are able to follow instructions and even walk from the procedure room to recovery room and I have ZERO memory of any of my procedures and I certainly don't remember walking from procedure to recovery room. Most Dr's work off the same cocktail as I understand it and some of the drugs they give you cause retrograde amnesia so that even if you're aware of something during the event, you won't remember it later. Some people say they have flashbacks occasionally about a procedure. It's never once happened to me. Zero memories of any of my IV sedation events.

Also, it's important to know that even tho you're basically out of it, of course they still numb the area they are working on in your mouth. You'll wake up numb and dopey. I asked the nurse last time how they know if you need more local anesthesia, and she told me if I didn't have adequate local anesthesia, my BP would rise, and I would have reacted during surgery so that they could stop immediately and give me more local...and if I got upset or panicked during procedure they would immediately give me more happy juice in my IV. She checked my chart (from previous extract procedure) and showed to me the notes about both local and IV reaction that showed I got minimum amount of IV sedation and had average amount of local -- none needed topping off during the procedure. All of that comforted me that. The Dr was doing his work while also monitoring my vitals, the Anesthesia nurse was there to also monitor vitals and to administer more sedation as needed, and the Dental Nurse was there to assist the Dr and the Anesthesia Nurse as well as monitor vitals. They all made an excellent team and I couldn't have asked for better care. If you're seeing an Oral Surgeon in America, it's important to know that your Oral Surgeon is an MD with additional training in Oral Surgery.

It may be comforting to know that since you are IV sedated and not having general anesthesia like they give during body surgery, the Anesthesia Nurse and Dr. have medications at their disposal that they can use to bring you out of sedation very quickly if the need arises for any reason. All medication has possible side effects, but having IV sedation is exponentially safer than having a general anesthesia.

You'll "wake" in a recovery room and think that only a moment has passed but the extraction site in your mouth is numb. I usually wake up all perky and entirely too happy. Like, stupid happy. I don't know why I have that reaction, but I do. Some people can wake up and be upset or cry. Obviously you can't drive yourself home, and that's something to consider.

There has been one negative in my experiences that I should note: Unfortunately, in most of my medical/dental procedures with IV sedation, the clinic staff seem to rush you out of the clinic. They keep you in recovery for 30-60 minutes generally and they check your BP and blood ox several times to make sure you're recovering well but they're asking you to sit up well before you're ready (you just want to nap!!). I always felt a bit rushed out of my dental IV sedation procedures, and one medical procedure. Another med procedure I was put into a recovery room and allowed to stay as long as I felt comfortable. That was nice.
When you wake, you may feel super tired, and hungry. I'm *always* hungry after not eating for well over 8 hours!! I always stock up on easy to chew foods so that as soon as I get home, I make some soup and eat some pudding, take a pain pill that was RX'd and have a long nap. I wake again a few hours later feeling mostly "normal" except for some tenderness at the extraction site.

I have to say, and I'm not making this up, recovery from extractions is EASY with regards to "pain" following the extraction. It's not really "painful" as much as it's tender and sore. Follow all instructions with regards to pain management after your extractions and you should be fine. Literally, my pain is generally a 3-4 at most following a textbook extraction -- this lasts me less than 30 hours usually. I've never suffered the dreaded dry socket -- but I know people who have. No straws, no smoking and try not to disturb the clot to avoid dry socket!! The discomfort and swelling from extraction shouldn't last more than a few days for most people. If you're currently having pain in the tooth that's scheduled to be extracted, the recovery from extraction will be much easier than the pain your tooth is causing you now!! I do not say this to make you less anxious, it's absolutely true in most cases.

I've read that dental pain is generally caused by inflammation - I tend to have better results with Ibuprofen to keep swelling down after extraction...the RX'd pain pills don't do much for pain, they just make you so dopey that you're not as aware of the pain (or not as anxious about it)...this is just my experience, others may have different experience with pain meds. I take the Ibuprofen *with* the pain pills for best relief. Again, just my experience. Follow your Dr's advice and always make sure you're not taking something that will have a negative interaction with other meds you're taking, incl vitamins. Check with your pharmacist to be sure.

Overall, I've had nothing but excellent experiences. Well, as excellent as possible considering the circumstances. I don't have any horror stories about having extractions. I've never been awake for an extraction but I've heard it's rather quick and a lot easier than most people think it will be. The tooth isn't "pulled" as much as it's wiggled out of the socket (as was explained to me by my Oral Surgeon). Honestly, I'm surprised they offer IV sedation for a single extract -- it's over within minutes. Literally. It takes much more time to prep you with all the cuffs, sticky pads, double checking your allergies, placing an IV, confirming what procedure and which tooth you're having extracted and then getting you to "sleep"...all of that takes more time that the actual dentistry! There are occasions of complications, but it's never happened to me. And it's so expensive!! But if you're nervous, it will certainly keep you comfortable.

You'll be fine. Think positive thoughts and go in the clinic with confidence because you can do this!!

Good luck. ;)

Hey!

Thank you for you detailed reply! You sound like a sedation pro lol! It somnice to read such positive experiences!

I'm in the UK so this dental work is being carried out by a dental surgeon who specialises in sedation and as I have a crowned root canal tooth it is likely to break as it's brittle which may mean my gum/bone having to be cut to get the roots out so it's classed as a surgical extraction and it's one of my main reasons for wanting sedation so that I'm not aware of any of this!

I had my son delivered by c-section and I'd rather do this again than a tooth extraction! But as my mum keeps reminding me if I can go through that the tooth extraction will be a walk in the park! I know I'm probably making the whole situation a hell of a lot worse than what it will actually be!

I'm trying really hard not to get myself worked up about it especially over the weekend when I'm trying to spend quality time with my son. It's easier said than done I guess.

Thank you for the boost of confidence with your kind words, I really hope I can do this, I will be so proud of myself afterwards! Just got to try and get myself together beforehand!

Honestly Gem, you've had another human being come out of your abdomen...you can do this sedated extraction !!! I hope you know I'm not saying this as if I'm scolding you or implying you're being a "baby" by fretting about having a dental surgery, I've always been in awe of women who can be awake and have a baby pulled out of their body while wide awake!! And dental surgery IS surgery...I think it's very normal to have a bit of anxiety about the unknown. Take comfort in the fact that this is what your dental surgeon does all the time and he/she has a great deal of training and experience to draw upon.

I was very nervous about my first sedated extraction, too. I was very comforted to hear my Oral Surgeon and Dental Nurse explain to me how they GENTLY wiggle the tooth out of the socket after using a specialized tool that assists the "lifting" of the tooth-- they made it seem like this was a very gentle process and that the chances of complications or damage to surrounding teeth was incredibly rare. Anyway I'm sure I have the terminology wrong there but I like the idea of "gently lifting" and a "gentle wiggle" to ease a tooth out. All the while, I promise you won't know a darn thing. My first extract was a RCT and Veneer too...I kept my extracted tooth and he must be a pro because there isn't even a ding in the gorgeous, horribly expensive veneer.

I forgot to mention that I did have sutures for this extraction, but the stitches came out on their own a few days later. None of the stitches hurt...it did surprise me, I didn't know they'd go in behind the tooth that way but I'm sure that's why the tooth came out so easily and w/o any damage (this was a front upper tooth so the sutures were on my palate behind it -- It was one cross stitch, very small and I followed all post op advice to ensure I had an infection free recovery). Also, I had bone graft done at the same time. Donor bone -- so I have zombie jaw....:scared:

So essentially, I had the same circumstances as you (root canal, veneer) and surgical extraction (tiny sutures -- they used pink suture "thread" and I thought it was cute!!)...with IV sedation.

Girl, you're going to be fine, I promise. Go in there with your head held high and remember that you are stronger than this evil tooth of yours. You'll feel so much better after this is over. Then if you ever need IV sedation again for any medical/dental procedure, you'll know what to expect and if you're like me, you'll be relieved to have sedation again!

Is the tooth painful now? Who is taking you for the procedure? Are you worried or anxious about the IV? Remember to shop for easy foods so that you come home to a boatload of high calorie but tasty food. Use the surgery as an excuse to nap for hours on end and watch bad chick flicks while eating ice cream or D grade horror movies with brownies. Let your little boy help by fetching a magazine for you or maybe getting you a drink from the fridge (I don't know his age and it's none of my business, but age appropriate help is the idea here) - that way he can feel like he's nursing you and doing a good job getting you back on your feet quickly. This isn't really related but my mother had a horrible car accident when I was about 8 and it terrified me seeing her in the hospital like that. She let me "help" when she got home, getting her drinks or turning on/off lights or "dusting" the house, fetching & rotating her heat or cold pads, setting my alarm so I could make sure she didn't miss her medicine, or getting ice cream and watching soap operas with her while she rested on the couch. It gave me something else to focus my energy on than worrying about her...and it eased my anxiety a lot. I think I "learned" how to do laundry during this period and let's just say that some of our clothes were never the same. :grin:

Honestly Gem, you've had another human being come out of your abdomen...you can do this sedated extraction !!! I hope you know I'm not saying this as if I'm scolding you or implying you're being a "baby" by fretting about having a dental surgery, I've always been in awe of women who can be awake and have a baby pulled out of their body while wide awake!! And dental surgery IS surgery...I think it's very normal to have a bit of anxiety about the unknown. Take comfort in the fact that this is what your dental surgeon does all the time and he/she has a great deal of training and experience to draw upon.

I was very nervous about my first sedated extraction, too. I was very comforted to hear my Oral Surgeon and Dental Nurse explain to me how they GENTLY wiggle the tooth out of the socket after using a specialized tool that assists the "lifting" of the tooth-- they made it seem like this was a very gentle process and that the chances of complications or damage to surrounding teeth was incredibly rare. Anyway I'm sure I have the terminology wrong there but I like the idea of "gently lifting" and a "gentle wiggle" to ease a tooth out. All the while, I promise you won't know a darn thing. My first extract was a RCT and Veneer too...I kept my extracted tooth and he must be a pro because there isn't even a ding in the gorgeous, horribly expensive veneer.

I forgot to mention that I did have sutures for this extraction, but the stitches came out on their own a few days later. None of the stitches hurt...it did surprise me, I didn't know they'd go in behind the tooth that way but I'm sure that's why the tooth came out so easily and w/o any damage (this was a front upper tooth so the sutures were on my palate behind it -- It was one cross stitch, very small and I followed all post op advice to ensure I had an infection free recovery). Also, I had bone graft done at the same time. Donor bone -- so I have zombie jaw....:scared:

So essentially, I had the same circumstances as you (root canal, veneer) and surgical extraction (tiny sutures -- they used pink suture "thread" and I thought it was cute!!)...with IV sedation.

Girl, you're going to be fine, I promise. Go in there with your head held high and remember that you are stronger than this evil tooth of yours. You'll feel so much better after this is over. Then if you ever need IV sedation again for any medical/dental procedure, you'll know what to expect and if you're like me, you'll be relieved to have sedation again!

Is the tooth painful now? Who is taking you for the procedure? Are you worried or anxious about the IV? Remember to shop for easy foods so that you come home to a boatload of high calorie but tasty food. Use the surgery as an excuse to nap for hours on end and watch bad chick flicks while eating ice cream or D grade horror movies with brownies. Let your little boy help by fetching a magazine for you or maybe getting you a drink from the fridge (I don't know his age and it's none of my business, but age appropriate help is the idea here) - that way he can feel like he's nursing you and doing a good job getting you back on your feet quickly. This isn't really related but my mother had a horrible car accident when I was about 8 and it terrified me seeing her in the hospital like that. She let me "help" when she got home, getting her drinks or turning on/off lights or "dusting" the house, fetching & rotating her heat or cold pads, setting my alarm so I could make sure she didn't miss her medicine, or getting ice cream and watching soap operas with her while she rested on the couch. It gave me something else to focus my energy on than worrying about her...and it eased my anxiety a lot. I think I "learned" how to do laundry during this period and let's just say that some of our clothes were never the same. :grin:

I know I shouldn't be scared about this and your right I have been through a c-section so this should be a doddle, it's just the not knowing what it's gonna be like that's make me a wuss!

That is good to know that they wiggle the tooth out rather than yank it out!! Also sounds abit gruesome but this terminology has put me more at ease!

I feel so much better knowing that someone else has been in the same situation i.e a RCT tooth with a crown that has been extracted! Sometimes you feel like your the only person on this planet that this is happening to!

The tooth doesn't hurt and hasn't done for months but when it first kicked off I could have seriously chopped my head off the pain was so bad! It is infected and I have an abscess that comes and goes but I'm on antibiotics at the moment in readiness for monday's procedure. Yep I have someone coming with me and my parents will be doing the school run and taking my son to his swimming lesson so least he is being taken care of. Plus I have a couple of days off work to recover. My son is 7 years old so he may well be a little angel that day and help mummy lol!

I'm not worried about th IV as I've had these before, it's more the. It knowing what it's like to be sedated or to have a tooth out.

Oh I'm sure I could look forward to the ice cream and chick flicks!!! There has to be a silver lining to this experience right! Lol!!

Honestly thank you so much for your positivity and kind words! You've made me feel so much better about the whole thing!!! X

So today's the day, in 3 hours time I will be sat in that dreaded chair! I am nervous but also glad at the same time that all the issues I've been having with this tooth will soon be over with! I'm feeling quite anxious about being sedated as I've never had this before so have no clue how it's going to feel but I figure it's got to be better than being fully aware of my tooth being pulled! I will update once I've come round from sedation.... wish me luck!!!

So today's the day, in 3 hours time I will be sat in that dreaded chair! I am nervous but also glad at the same time that all the issues I've been having with this tooth will soon be over with! I'm feeling quite anxious about being sedated as I've never had this before so have no clue how it's going to feel but I figure it's got to be better than being fully aware of my tooth being pulled! I will update once I've come round from sedation.... wish me luck!!!

Hello Gem -- I'm sorry I missed this -- I would have liked to have given you pre-procedure pep talk. I'm in America (west coast) so the time is off, too, I think...I'm guessing you're in UK?

More importantly, how did it go? I'm assuming you got along fine and any anxiety or nerves the day of is TOTALLY UNDERSTANDABLE! So don't feel bad or guilty if you got scared suddenly before your procedure. I did too! I was really resisting giving up a front upper tooth!

How are you feeling now? How is your son helping or coping? What are you binge watching? Do you feel good? Is any post op pain controlled well with your medication?

Hello Gem -- I'm sorry I missed this -- I would have liked to have given you pre-procedure pep talk. I'm in America (west coast) so the time is off, too, I think...I'm guessing you're in UK?

More importantly, how did it go? I'm assuming you got along fine and any anxiety or nerves the day of is TOTALLY UNDERSTANDABLE! So don't feel bad or guilty if you got scared suddenly before your procedure. I did too! I was really resisting giving up a front upper tooth!

How are you feeling now? How is your son helping or coping? What are you binge watching? Do you feel good? Is any post op pain controlled well with your medication?

Hey Deck2015

Yes I'm in the UK :)

Well I'm 4 hrs into my extraction, I'm still bleeding quite a lot so I'm just gonna keep an eye on it and call the dental surgery back if it doesn't stop shortly.

I'm still slightly numb but thinking that will wear off soon and then the pain will kick in but I'm armed with paracetamol and ibuprofen so that should sort me out!

My son is still at school at the moment but finishes in 45 mins, my mum is going to collect him shortly.

The procedure itself was fine, and you were right I had nothing to worry about! I remember them putting the sedative in my IV and the dental nurse speaking to me about my earrings saying how pretty they were and then I just remember being sat up and the nurse going through with me the dos and donts after an extraction. I was quite wobbly on my feet to start with, a bit like having one too many disarrano and cokes! Lol! That soon wore off though and I'm just at home deciding what film to watch :)

Thank you again for all your positivity and amazing words of comfort! You really don't know how much that helped me! ?? x

Super excited that it went so well for you!! You did well, Gem!! When you're back to 100%, you should make some time for a celebration. This wasn't easy for you and you did it anyway.

I am thrilled that you literally had no memory of the procedure and "woke" in recovery...I wasn't kidding about them trying to get you up and out of the clinic while you still feel totally sleepy!!

Now you know know exactly what to expect from the IV sedation if you ever need it in the future for a med/den procedure and I hope you can find comfort that the option is there for you if you do ever want it again.

Boo that you're having so much post op bleeding!! That darn tooth...what a pain in the neck (literally amirite?)...Did the bleeding stop or did you have to call the clinic?

Super excited that it went so well for you!! You did well, Gem!! When you're back to 100%, you should make some time for a celebration. This wasn't easy for you and you did it anyway.

I am thrilled that you literally had no memory of the procedure and "woke" in recovery...I wasn't kidding about them trying to get you up and out of the clinic while you still feel totally sleepy!!

Now you know know exactly what to expect from the IV sedation if you ever need it in the future for a med/den procedure and I hope you can find comfort that the option is there for you if you do ever want it again.

Boo that you're having so much post op bleeding!! That darn tooth...what a pain in the neck (literally amirite?)...Did the bleeding stop or did you have to call the clinic?

Oh yes a celebration is needed! I have a girls night out planned in the next few weeks so think a new handbag is in order ?

You were right they donkind of ship you out of the recovery room rather quick, I was very wobbly on my feet but that soon wore off when I got home.

The bleeding stopped about 8pm last night so I had about 8 hours of bleeding ?

This morning I've had some scrambled eggs and a smoothie, chewing hurts slightly but pain relief is helping.

Feels very strange having a tooth missing but I'm sure that's something I will get used to! Just hoping healing time is quick and goes without a hitch!

So happy everything went well for you :).

I am still nervous but by 12pm on the 6th I should be in that chair myself.
I just hope my experience with a sedative is a smooth as yours.

So happy everything went well for you :).

I am still nervous but by 12pm on the 6th I should be in that chair myself.
I just hope my experience with a sedative is a smooth as yours.

Hey Mrleeuk

You will be absolutely fine! Honestly once the IV had gone in it felt like literally seconds and I was awake again and it was all done, I was asking the dentist if I could have a Nando's lol!

I didn't feel a thing or know anything about the procedure and it felt like I was asleep for seconds when it was really around 30 mins or more maybe. I was quite wobbly on my feet afterwards.

I'm a bit tender still now. I'm doing salt water rinses and keeping topped up with painkillers.

This time tomorrow it will all be over for you.

Keep me posted with how you get on.

Good luck for tomorrow!

Well I am done. I did nearly pass out in the dentist chair before the sedative was put in but the dentist reassured me and game me in small amounts.

Within in seconds I went pleasantly light headed (sort of a couple of pints). Next he laid me back and gave me anoth dose which made me feel sleepy and in a daydream state with. No sense of been bothered. I remember about 10 minutes of the procedure but really did not care as it was just like I was daydreaming. And 1 hour felt like 10 min

apparently the dentist had to top me up half was through as I would not shut up talking lol.

Came around feeling find and not dizzy. Just slightly unateady on my feet.

all in all a good experience.

Well I am done. I did nearly pass out in the dentist chair before the sedative was put in but the dentist reassured me and game me in small amounts.

Within in seconds I went pleasantly light headed (sort of a couple of pints). Next he laid me back and gave me anoth dose which made me feel sleepy and in a daydream state with. No sense of been bothered. I remember about 10 minutes of the procedure but really did not care as it was just like I was daydreaming. And 1 hour felt like 10 min

apparently the dentist had to top me up half was through as I would not shut up talking lol.

Came around feeling find and not dizzy. Just slightly unateady on my feet.

all in all a good experience.

So glad it went so well for you!

See we both worried over nothing!!!

I hope recovery goes well for you!

Back