• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Freaked out by rubber dam

S

Snowy

Hi Everyone. So pleased to find this amazing site and to know I am not alone.from age 12 I have suffered with Emitophobia and as a consequence, dental phobia. I have a strong gag reflex and as a young girl was told off for gagging at the dentists. When forced to go, I would not open my mouth and they held me down and forced my mouth apart. Over the years I have got a lot better and thought I was over my dental phobia. Even moving to France 8 years ago, having to find a new:(:(:( dentist and having work done has not been a problem. However I have a tooth that has become sensitive to cold and is painful when bitten on. I went to the dentist who said he thought I had a small crack in the tooth. He gave me a treatment plan which came to over €1,OOO euros. As I am retired, there is no way I can afford this. He then mentioned Root Canal as a possibility. At this point I freaked. I have not been back, but last week I bit down on the tooth and it was really painful. It has now gone back to being just very sensitive again. The thing that is freaking me out is the rubber dam. I don't think I could tolerate this. My anxiety means I need to swallow frequently and I can't do this with my mouth open. Also it reminds me of when my mouth was forcibly opened. I am thinking I might just have the tooth out, although this would mean I had no back teeth on my bottom left. Very anxious and depressed and feel really trapped! Sorry for going on a bit in this, my first post here!:(

First, welcome!

I've had 4 RCT's and a rubber dam was used for each one. I was able to close my mouth most of the way and could easily swallow. There are also a lot of opportunities to take a break and rest your mouth during a RCT. I also have emetaphobia and actually find that the rubber dam helps because I don't have to worry about anything getting close to my throat.

Hi, thank you for replying to me with your experience. I am concerned that I only had one reply, as this must mean I am the only one who is worrying about this aspect. I can't see how you can swallow as isn't the dam on a rigid frame over your mouth? I have taken the positive step of writing to my dentist explaining how I feel. I just don't know how I am going to face up to this.

from what I know, dental dams don't prevent you moving you mouth the rigid frame is outside your mouth and you can close a far way when the dentist isn't working, so swallowing can happen, and it isn't that far in you mouth so you may be able to swallow form behind it.

awesome that you have emailed your dentist.

keep posting

I was petrified of having a rubber dam having had RCT without it in the past, it made the experience much easier for me, the only bit I was not keen on was the attaching of it as I was anticipating it was going to be awful by the time they had finished but it genuinely wasn't and I felt more comfortable with it on than I did the previous RCT's

Hi rest assured you are not the only one fearing the dental dam, lots of people on here are worried about them. The dental dam is a small piece of rubber with markings on it that show the position of a full mouth of teeth. The dentist punches a hole in it in the position of the tooth he is going to be working on.
This goes on a metal frame. The frame is attached to the tooth that is going to be worked on, it feels like the thing they attach when doing a filling sometimes, it doesn't hurt as you will be numb. The rubber sheet will be put over the frame and sealed around your tooth. The frame with the dam can be removed in a second and you can close your mouth.

They do an x ray during this procedure to check that the roots have been cleaned out properly, the dam is left in place but the frame is removed. It is best to have a rct done with the dam being used as it keeps the tooth dry and sterile.

You can breath, and swallow as normal. I love having the dam used because it stops the little bits that you get down your throat when having a filling done.

It is really good that you have written to your dentist explaining how you feel, they can now address the problems you see and put your mind to rest. :butterfly: