• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Freaking out over Essix Retainer

M

mariyam

Ok. I did it. I got the wisdom teeth pulled and the failed root canal. Got the bone graft and the post thing for the implant put it. That was 7 hrs ago. It took 1 hr to do. I got the Essix at 1 pm. The dentist said leave it for 24 hrs, not like I should do anything with my mouth in those 24 hrs except eat (soft foods or just broth, whichever I am comfortable with) drink fluids, take my meds, and LEAVE THE RETAINER ALONE AND THE STICHES ON THE WISDOM SITES ALONE... She literally had me repeat it because it was pretty obvious I wasn't absorbing much mentally. So it went great in short. I have mild bleeding but she said that's going to be a thing for a bit, if it becomes excessive obviously it's an emergency, like excessive as I'm just dribbling blood, not "I taste more cause I forgot to swallow my own spit for 20 min out of fear".

Ok here's what I'm terrified of... What happens if I take off the retainer in 24 hrs and I can't get it back on or... If I start bleeding like A LOT. Is 24 hrs the absolute time you MUST take them off or is this one of those "obviously if I'm crazy swollen/can barely open my mouth then DONT take it off"? She tried to explain that if I'm still swollen to leave it alone, if I'm so swollen I can't open my mouth I won't be able to safelu remove it anyway and I'll hardly be able to brush. But I just don't think I comprehended what she said.

Thoughts?!

You won't suddenly start bleeding after 24 hrs.

If you can't get it back on over the weekend then go back to the dentist on Monday.
If your mouth is that swollen that you can't get it out then leave it alone, but it's exceptionally unlikely.

You won't suddenly start bleeding after 24 hrs.

If you can't get it back on over the weekend then go back to the dentist on Monday.
If your mouth is that swollen that you can't get it out then leave it alone, but it's exceptionally unlikely.
Thanks so much. I suppose it's a bit... Use normal wound care logic. Whole procedure went well and was simple.

Back