• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Front tooth broken root canal

  • Thread starter Thread starter bigboblee
  • Start date Start date
B

bigboblee

Junior member
Joined
Apr 24, 2026
Messages
9
Location
Kent uk
My front tooth is broken I am facing root canal trying save it I have bad gag reflex will a dental dam be less likely to trigger it being front teeth I am terrified
 
Usually a dam helps, it stops debris and spray from the handpiece falling down onto the back of your tongue which generally is what triggers the gag reflex.

PS This sounds really daft but actually works, sprinkle a small amount of table salt on the back of your tongue before starting treatment, for some weird reason it really helps with gagging.
 
Interesting, hopefully as it's nearer the mouth being an incisor it won't be as bad. Previously root canal was without dental dam which in hindsight is worrying
 
Depends, dam isn't compulsory for a successful RCT, as long as you can keep the tooth well enough isolated from the rest of the mouth.

It does make things much easier all round though!
 
Told it's compulsory by the dentist just have to take their word for it fortunately it's maxillary upper front incisor which has less roots and canals one from my reading @Gordon
 
Usually a dam helps, it stops debris and spray from the handpiece falling down onto the back of your tongue which generally is what triggers the gag reflex.

PS This sounds really daft but actually works, sprinkle a small amount of table salt on the back of your tongue before starting treatment, for some weird reason it really helps with gagging.
Yes I read that about salt as well as it's front upper the dam well away from trigger spot mostly sitting on lips I think I can deal with it molars a whole different issue tbh I don't think I will worry about them
 
Told it's compulsory by the dentist just have to take their word for it fortunately it's maxillary upper front incisor which has less roots and canals one from my reading
Good for them, it makes things much easier all round, but some dentists really hate using dam.

You're right, the central incisor (usually) has a single root and canal.
 
@Gordon Had back molar done without I hate thought as I gag easily but but fact they didn't well it's all added to my anxiety I am praying it's just three appointments
 
Back
Top