• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Front upper tooth root canal

J

Jmd57

I am 57 years old, and am terrified of dentist. In younger years, freezing never worked well. I have a dead tooth that requires a root canal, filling. I spoke to dentist, and she said that the upper front freezes easier and much better, is this true? What can I buy over the counter to help me relax?

Is there over the counter medication I can take before appointment to allow my body to relax?

I had a front upper tooth root canal in October. I also have difficulty getting numb. It was easier to numb than the molars I have had worked on. Another thing is that if the tooth is already dead, as mine was also, you won't feel anything when they drill anyway. I have had two root canals and the front tooth was definitely the easiest.

As far as over the counter, I know of nothing that would help that I would be qualified to recommend. I use nitrous when available, and the last time it wasn't, my doctor prescribed me lorazepam. Your dentist may be able to prescribe something if you ask.

Jmd57,

I'm not sure about if it is typical the top are easier to freeze for everyone, but I can say it has mostly been true for me! It also has to do with your dentists technique and that they take their time and know about your anxiety regarding this. As far as anything natural, I have used melatonin myself to help get to bed and it is a little natural relaxer , also I have previously taken a supplement with L-tryptaphan, not sure if that is how to spell it, but its like a natural well being type feeling.. not sure if either would be safe for you or good or helpful.. but just something to think on.

Hi Jmd57,

upper teeth are in general easier to get numbed up as the lower ones as the nerves and bone there work a bit differently. Here is an article about getting numb from our common fear sections, if you haven't seen it already. There are a lot of explanations about why numbing sometimes can get difficult. Again, it shouldn't be a problem on your upper front tooth but I believe that understanding past experiences can help so maybe a bit of background won't do any harm.

Hope you have a lovely caring dentist who supports you well.

All the best wishes and keep us posted

Hi Jmd57,

upper teeth are in general easier to get numbed up as the lower ones as the nerves and bone there work a bit differently. Here is an article about getting numb from our common fear sections, if you haven't seen it already. There are a lot of explanations about why numbing sometimes can get difficult. Again, it shouldn't be a problem on your upper front tooth but I believe that understanding past experiences can help so maybe a bit of background won't do any harm.

Hope you have a lovely caring dentist who supports you well.

All the best wishes and keep us posted

Since was young, the freezing never worked for me. As I got older, I explained that freezing didn’t work, and we tried a nerve block with limited results. In 1991 I had all my back teeth removed as they were crumbling. The anxiety of any dentist appointment is unbelievable. I have my root canal on May 28 in the evening after work for 1.5 hr sit in the chair. I am trying to convince myself that I can do it, but it terrifies me to all ends.

Just a thought if the tooth truly is dead it may not need local anaesthetic anyway.

I am concerned that I am on medication to deal with infection, but still have two puffy areas above affected tooth.

How can I calm myself down so I am not having a death grip on the chair?

Last edited:
Ask your dentist to prescribe you something?

Update, my experience was nothing like I imagined! First my gums were numbed by a topical freezing, barely felt the freezing needle. Work began in about 15 minutes, the entire 1.5 hours was painless, and my dentist really cared about my experience! Going back for tooth restoration, then permanent fillings week later

jmd57

Sounds like a great experience knowing the dentist really cared and you didn't feel it , it was painless and you feel good to go ack for more a week later.This is great!!!:perfect::welldone:

Great news! I am glad it went well.

Back