• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

frustrated and scared

Itsliz

Itsliz

Hey everyone I posted recently about being frustrated and scared to go back to the dentist in December but I’m now getting really bad jaw pain because I have tmj issues
To cut a long story short my mum didn’t think getting to see the dentist for the referral to a jaw person was a good idea so the GP gave me one but the jaw person wasn’t happy about not having a dentist referral and questioned why ect so I explained about my dental anxiety and he was so dismissive of it claiming it wasn’t as bad as i thought it was he did some tests and said your jaws fine nothing wrong looked at my mum and said are you sure she’s not faking it and walked out I felt like shit and still do now my poor mum doesn’t know what to do as she knows that when we see the dentist in December he will want to check my jaw again he’s done this since I was 12 and he will find something as I can click my jaw on command I’m just so frustrated that this could get in that way of me getting all the work that needs doing done ?

Hi Itsliz,

sorry to see you haven't got any reply so far, hope you feel a bit better by now. I wished your GP would have more understanding for your situation as dental anxiety is something that should be taken seriously by any health care professional. The comment sounds very inappropriate from a doctor :(
The part I didn't get too right was what you believe will happen when you see your dentist - do you believe he wouldn't give you the referral?

All the best wishes, may you feel better soon and keep us posted

I guess you saw your dentist, how did it go?

Back