• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Full extractions IV sedation Temp Dentures

A

Anokai

So my surgery is Monday, which I want to cancel so badly.. I feel like I need more time. But I know more time is the opposite of what I should do right now. The past week I've been up half the night in panic attacks or just fits of tears. I want it over with but that doesn't help me do it. There is no thought I can think of to get myself in the chair. I'm shaking right now thinking about it.

I was just wondering if anyone who had FULL extractions could give me a run down of how it goes after? They said that I have to put and keep my temp dentures in for 2 days I think?

I'm so worried of complications or botched surgery.. I have a fear that I won't know about it either. The day I went to meet the surgeon I was so scared I can't remember a single thing he said to me.

Hi there, just wanted to wish you luck for Monday, I honestly think the antisapation is always worse than the procedure itself, like when your in the waiting room and your heart races like crazy.
I myself am always thinking what can go wrong probably will with me, like my last appointment but actually everything went fine ( I think when we are fearful we tend to think the worst, I'm sure you will be just fine)
Is there anyone that can go with you?
I don't have experience will full extractions but I did have to have a block of three teeth removed and a temporary partial denture put in which I am currently still wearing.
I was told to not remove it for the first 24 hrs as your gums can swell quickly after extractions and I wouldn't have been able to get it back in which would have been a nightmare as it's my front teeth! After 24hrs I was told to take it out to brush my remaining teeth and also the denture it's self and rinse my mouth with warm salty water for 3mins (Aids healing) I did this twice a day and no infections occurred.
You may find a week or two after that your temporary denture becomes loose, as your mouth changes after extractions, I use the powder addisive to hold mine in place but you may want to use fixodent.
I think most dentist like to wait 4-6 months before fitting you with your actual permanent dentures, that might be worth asking.
Anyways best of luck, try not to worry to much, easier said than done I know but I'm sure you will be just fine.

Appointment is tomorrow and I'm totally freaking out. Time to try my valium and get some sleep hopefully.

So my surgery is Monday, which I want to cancel so badly.. I feel like I need more time. But I know more time is the opposite of what I should do right now. The past week I've been up half the night in panic attacks or just fits of tears. I want it over with but that doesn't help me do it. There is no thought I can think of to get myself in the chair. I'm shaking right now thinking about it.

I was just wondering if anyone who had FULL extractions could give me a run down of how it goes after? They said that I have to put and keep my temp dentures in for 2 days I think?

I'm so worried of complications or botched surgery.. I have a fear that I won't know about it either. The day I went to meet the surgeon I was so scared I can't remember a single thing he said to me.

Hello there, I’m just seeing this now and I’m sorry I didn’t get a chance to reply to you before you went in for your extractions. I had this done in September under IV Sedation and didn’t remember any of the procedure. After you will be sore and a little swollen but if you keep up with ice or frozen peas did the first 48 hours it does help a lot. Take your prescription medications and most of all relax and take it easy for as long as instructed if you’re feeling better after a few days. The dentist office will likely send you home with written instructions on how to take care of yourself but if you have questions you should feel free to call. Also if you go on google you will find lists of foods that are soft to eat after extractions so your diet won’t get too boring. Be sure to eat and drink even if you don’t feel like it as you will recover faster. I hope all goes well for you, I’m sure that it will. Keep us updated to let us know how it went. ❤️

So my surgery went well i don't remember anything. But right now I'm in more pain then I've been with my teeth. Specifically the front where my front two teeth were. I also have temps in not allowed to remove for 48 hours. Im on Tylenol, advil, and oxycodone 5mg.

As soon they woke me up I had pain in the back, he gave me more shots in the gums there, which made it hurt less but it still did. I did not feel tired or groggy.. Nothing. In the car I cried and wished to die, it was a 1hour30minute ride home and as soon as we got 15 mins in ALL the numbing was going away. I got the advil and Tylenol in me, didn't help, got my oxy an hour later (i hate pharmacies) and i stopped crying a half hour after. Its still not making me pain free, and honestly I've been taking it an hour earlier then i should.

Right now like i said the front is killing me. I did have 2 abcesses, one above the right that was the tip of a pen size. But the left was the size of a bb, large enough to puff my lip. So I'm wondering if thats why I'm having all this pain.

I plan on calling my dentist in the morning if it still hurts. I kind of think he won't believe me or will not give me any help.. He's sweet but everytie i went to the er or medexpress for an abcess in the past they refused to give me anything for pain. Between my mouth looking like i do drugs and the fact my anxiety makes my heart rate140+ in doctor settings. I have to much anxiety to do anything not prescribed to me including pot so it's kind of funny but really sucks when I'm in desperate pain. Hopefully my dentist will believe me though and bump me up to 10 mg.

He gave me the ones with out anything else in them, so would it be safe to take 2 at a time? I'm hoping after this first day or two my pain will lesson but I can't just wait. This is worse then the abscesses or having a tooth break down to the gun then h have syrup touch it.

I'm really getting exhausted from pain so I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense but any tips for pain let me know. Also, don't let my story scare you if you're still in your process, I'm still incredibly glad I'm done with this and can move on with my life. This is only temporary, I think. :redface:

My heart is with you, Anokai. So sorry that the pain is so bad and that you have spent your ride suffering that much.

Your post is from yesterday so hopefully you are comfortable and painless right now and getting some really good rest after the last days. It would be inhuman not to believe you how much pain you have and not to help you, I cannot imagine this would be the case if you called your dentist, especially since he is the one who treated you.

May you recover very soon and please don't forget to give you a huge pat on the back for going through this. You have been very brave.

Take care

Starting to feel a bit better today. Pain is a littleless, swelling is way up! Today I get to take my temps off to wash, which I think will be so relieving. I'm afraid I will hurt myself taking them out or putting it back in.

Just have to keep telling myself is only temporary. I'm 23 I will heal soon. He also said all of my teeth were infected, besides my3impacted wisdom teeth.

It'll be all worth it in the end.

I do have a serious issue.. My temp dentures do not have back teeth on either side front or bottom? They have about 6 teeth in the front then are just smooth pinkness. Is that because my teeth were almost all broke to the gum? But why add front teeth and nothing to the back.. I wanted to keep these as long as i could so i can save up and heal as much as possible for perms, but i feel Itll be hard living with these.

:confused:

Back