• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Full Mouth Debridement

S

spooky

I finally went to the dentist today. They had to do a full mouth debridement since I haven't been in years. (I don't remember how long, but the dentist said they apparently have already done a filling before.) The debridement left my teeth feeling rough and my gums are very red and sore. Even just drinking water hurt my teeth. Does anyone have experience with this? Any tips on after care? The dentist just told me to use mouthwash without alcohol, but unfortunately the only ones at the Walgreens I went to all had alcohol. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have go to back in April (the soonest they could see me) for a scaling and root planing. The dentist said if I don't react well to this treatment that I could possibly lose some of my teeth.

Also I'm feeling very self-conscious right now because the cleaning left gaps between my teeth. I'm so scared :(

Hi,

I had similar done to me last year, I had a lot of plaque built up between my 2 front lower teeth which I didn't even know about, anyway it has left a big gap which feels odd.
As an alternative to mouthwash why not use a mild salt water solution 2-4 times a day to see if that helps? Don't drink or eat anything too hot or cold, and eat soft things until your gums settle down.

I finally went to the dentist today. They had to do a full mouth debridement since I haven't been in years. (I don't remember how long, but the dentist said they apparently have already done a filling before.) The debridement left my teeth feeling rough and my gums are very red and sore. Even just drinking water hurt my teeth. Does anyone have experience with this? Any tips on after care? The dentist just told me to use mouthwash without alcohol, but unfortunately the only ones at the Walgreens I went to all had alcohol. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have go to back in April (the soonest they could see me) for a scaling and root planing. The dentist said if I don't react well to this treatment that I could possibly lose some of my teeth.

Also I'm feeling very self-conscious right now because the cleaning left gaps between my teeth. I'm so scared :(

What is the difference between
full mouth debridement" and a root scaling and planing? I have had root scaling and planning before which I have also heard some people call a "deep cleaning" but I am not familiar with the term mouth debridement. is it the same thing?

What is the difference between
full mouth debridement" and a root scaling and planing? I have had root scaling and planning before which I have also heard some people call a "deep cleaning" but I am not familiar with the term mouth debridement. is it the same thing?

I hadn't been to the dentist in years, so my dentist explained they had to do a mouth debridement first in order to get most of the plaque/tartar off my teeth. The reason for that is that they had to really see what was underneath the plaque/tartar. My hygienist explained that for the scaling and planing, they would really get under the tooth and into the root to clean the tartar off. However, I am not sure what the difference is between that and a deep cleaning.

I had not been to a dentist in about 18 or 19 years myself. So when I went they said I needed the scaling and planning because of gum disease. My mouth felt like you described after and my gums were sore for a few days. my front teeth were very sensitive to cold for about a week afterwards but then settled down. they had also put me on a prescription mouthwash and a low dose of antibiotics. they also squirted some antibiotics right under my gums

Back