• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Full mouth extractions and immediate dentures help please

K

kijkk

Hello I'm 37 and have just had my remaining 20 teeth pulled 2 days ago due to periodontal disease, I've 100% bone loss and ridge resorption, which I have been told will always need fixident to wear dentures, I've had immediate dentures glued in and they were ok until I took them out to clean, my bottoms will stay in with fixident for a couple of hours but my tops will not stay in at all not even with fixident they simply just drop out , is there something I'm doing wrong could the salt water be stopping them from sticking in, I look horrendous without them in and I'm getting very depressed and not leaving my bedroom if anyone has any advice I would much appreciate it thank you

It could be that they were made a little too loose. Immediates are a "guess", as they don't know exactly what shape your gums will take after extractions. My immediates didn't fit at all, they were far too large. It's not unheard of.

You should have a follow up appointment with your dentist to adjust the dentures if needed. That's standard practice. You can bring it up then. They may need a bit of a remould to get a bit more suction. Don't be afraid of "nagging" your dentist - you definitely need something workable, as it's hard to go without!

Thank you so much for your reply it's so upsetting seeing myself with nothing in what worries me is that I have no ridge what so ever so I'm not even sure my permanents will ever fit , my temps were fitting perfect until I took them out to clean and now they just won't go in so this is why I didn't think it would be they are to large I've got a follow up on Wednesday but I think I will call them on Monday as I also have bone sticking through in a couple of places which I've heard is normal but hopefully they can advise maybe I need a stronger adhesive for the tops

It could be that. Perhaps the dentist can advise you on better adhesive. And yes, bone shards poking through is very normal, I had a couple too. :)

Shrinkage after extractions- get a reline with soft temporary material then about 6 months after extractions get a hard reline. Most people do well with that approach.

Thank you for your reply, can shrinkage happen a day after extractions I thought it took quite a while the problem I'm having is what I've been told that I have complete ridge resorption and 100% bone loss so it will be very hard for the denture to stay in place

Sorry to hear you're struggling Kijkk.
Can I ask, did you get any choice in what shade your immediate's were as I'm getting mine next week and apparently I just have to make do with what the technician makes! ?
Hope you get settled in with yours quickly - I've read cushioning can help though I'm no expert as only just starting my journey to dentures.

Sorry to hear you're struggling Kijkk.
Can I ask, did you get any choice in what shade your immediate's were as I'm getting mine next week and apparently I just have to make do with what the technician makes! ?
Hope you get settled in with yours quickly - I've read cushioning can help though I'm no expert as only just starting my journey to dentures.

Denture teeth come in many shades and variations. As a minimum you should have a choice of shade.

Back