• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gauze In Wisdom Tooth Socket 11 Days After Extraction

A

Aquaman

On Weds May 20th I had one of my lower Wisdom teeth pulled due to an abscess that had formed underneath. I was petrified on the build up to the day, but the actual procedure was easier than I had imagined. The early part of the healing seemed to be fine, some minor pain on the day, but quickly quashed with some ibuprofen. On the following days i kept the area as clean as possible, rinsed with salt water, gradually started brushing my teeth closer to the area, kept my tongue away from poking the gum...

On the second or third day I noticed that the extracted socket had formed what looked like a dark red/brown covering, because I didn't really know what to expect I just assumed this was a sort of "scab" formed from the clot, so was fine. However over the days that followed the wall of my mouth gradually worked a part of the mass out, and on the Friday just gone (9 days into healing) my gum pushed a small amount free. On inspection what I found was a clot of thin fibres, what I now suspect to be some of the gauze that was used to originally form the blood-clot in the socket.

There is still a portion of this fibre material left in the socket which is starting to become foul tasting, and I am in two minds. One, is this a normal part of the healing process and I should just leave it alone and not worry. Or two, should this be cleared out because it might impact on the healthy healing of the extraction.

Has anyone experienced anything like this in their own extractions?

Not trying to bump this, because it's already at the top. More of an update:

Yesterday afternoon another bit of the material worked itself out, enough to manipulate with my tongue and pinch out carefully with tweezers.

The gum around the socket seems pretty healthy, it's not inflamed or sore, so I hope I am healing fine. I'm just not sure whether I should bother booking a morning off work and trying to get an emergency appointment to have my dentist clean the rest of the material out in a proper environment, or be patient and trust that all the material will work itself out in time.

My worry is the risk of the gum healing around this stuff and causing an infection, or is that not how a healthy healing works.

Is there any advice that more experienced people can offer?

Back