• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Getting braces bit anxious....

  • Thread starter Thread starter hannah
  • Start date Start date
H

hannah

Junior member
Joined
Mar 17, 2011
Messages
3
Hello, I'm getting damon braces. I had my impressions done a week ago, and when my dentist did the top one, it made me gag. It was the first time I had them done, so didn't know what to expect. But now I'm really worried about gagging again, as it wasn't very nice, and a little embarrassing too, not just that, but for some reason when I'm laying down, I get the urge to swallow-ALOT! That was what made me gag with the impressions, because every time I swallowed, not only was it really difficult, but I could feel the stuff really far back in my mouth. I'm worried about when I get the braces fitted, because I know its going to take quite a while laying there with my mouth open, and I've heard you aren't aloud to swallow?? I just want to know how I can get rid of this urge to swallow all the time. Thanks
 
Hi Hannah,

First off, I've never heard of a dental procedure where you're not allowed to swallow. I mean, I stand to be corrected by one of the dentists on here, but I don't really see how they can stop you! lol The urge to swallow when you're lying back plus your saliva glands are activated by all the stuff going on in your mouth is completely normal, and I'd imagine happens to everyone (to some extent). And impressions are particularly difficult. Some people do struggle with gagging more than others, though - I'm one of them, so I do sympathise. But one of the ways I've been getting through my appointments without gagging is just by my dentist stopping frequently to let me swallow. And, in fact, when I discused this with my hygienist she told me that other people often struggle with gagging beause they won't swallow while they're being worked on, when actually doing so would help them.

Also, I expect your dentist will use a suction thing (sorry, that's about as technical as I can be!) in your mouth to suck up the saliva, so that you don't feel the need to swallow all the time. It's a long time ago now, but when I had braces fitted, I remember my dentist gave me the suction thing to hold in my mouth myself during the whole appointment, partly as a distraction probably, but also so I could help myself not need to swallow or gag as much. Whoever holds it, it should help a lot.

Whatever your worries, it can never do any harm to talk them through with your dentist before they start working on you. Swallowing/gagging issues are so common, so your dentist will definitely be able to try and help, but they may not know you're struggling unless you tell them.

Hope this helps. :)
 
Last edited:
Some people think impressions are easier lying down, others prefer sitting up - try whichever is easier for you. You should still be able to swallow during...from what I can recall...I think. Remember to breathe through your nose.
 
Back
Top