• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Getting my wisdom teeth out in 2 days....SCARED TO DEATH

S

Scaredycat1109

I’m absolutely terrified. I have horrible anxiety and have never been put under anesthesia before. I’m getting all 4 removed with IV sedation. They’re also giving me laughing gas before they put the IV in to relax me. They said I can take Valium beforehand to also relax me. I’m scared that all of these drugs are going to kill me and I won’t wake up. I also have emetophobia and I’m scared that the medicine is going to make me throw up. I’ve never felt so scared in my entire life. Doing it with just local anesthesia is not an option because they are severely impacted and I will probably freak out during the procedure if I’m awake. I’m so scared. I read something about a person that died after the procedure. I don’t want to die. Also will I have control over anything I say afterwards? I’ve seen videos of people acting really weird after the procedure. I’ve never dreaded something more in my entire life. Someone please reassure me... No horror stories please!

I had all mine out (severely impacted as well) under general anesthesia. It was quite a few years back, but was a straightforward procedure, even with difficult teeth. Thankfully it was before cell phone videos, because my mom did say that I was a little loopy afterwards, but nothing crazy. She said I just kept saying I was hungry but wanted to sleep. Lol.

I hate taking medicine as well, but am very thankful for nitrous.

Good luck! It won't be nearly as bad as you imagine. They will be monitoring you closely the whole time.

Dear Scaredycat1109,

we want people to be comfortable here and are very mindful of dental anxiety, so you surely won't get any horror stories here. On the contrary, I would like to encourage you not to look for scary things online (because you will always find some - not because they are probable, but because sensational shocking news that is based on untruth is a good business), but to read some wisdom tooth removal success stories.

I can take away your worry about not waking up, the truth is that you won't be asleep at all. IV sedation makes you really relaxed and happy and will make you forget what happened, however during the procedure itself you will be aware and able to talk, to move and to voice if you do not feel comfortable. I get your worry about behaving or reacting in ways that are normally unusual for you, however, this is something your dental team won't care about at all. If you look at a video of people saying strange things or acting weirdly, it is really funny, but imagine if you would see like five people like this every day, you would stop to care. Your dental team will be too focused on your care to care about what you say. Your safety goes first and will guide everything they do.

Worrying very often begins when we don't have accurate information and start filling the gaps. The best thing to do is to make sure to talk to your dental team about all your concerns and questions. They will be happy to explain to you why what you fear might happen won't happen and what precautions they take to make sure you will be fine.

All the best wishes and keep us posted

Thinking of you today Scaredykat!! Let us know how it goes

"Worrying very often begins when we don't have accurate information and start filling the gaps. The best thing to do is to make sure to talk to your dental team about all your concerns and questions. They will be happy to explain to you why what you fear might happen won't happen and what precautions they take to make sure you will be fine."

SO well said Enarete!!

I survived! Currently sitting on the couch with my ice pack. It wasn’t bad, the Valium helped me sleep but this morning I was a wreck. By the time I got there I was shaking, but the nurse was super nice to me and put me at ease, the strangest thing is I don’t even remember falling asleep. The last thing I remember is them putting the oxygen tubes in my nose and it feeling kind of ticklish. I vaguely remember being walked to to the recovery room afterwards. I remember saying some funny things, but I felt in control of what I was saying (if that makes sense). Like I wasn’t revealing any deep dark secrets or anything. I remember I pointed to the mark where the IV was and said “isn’t this funny!” I also remember briefly crying and the nurse saying that it was normal to feel emotional afterwards. All in all, not a bad experience. The worst part is the anticipation.
Right now the bottom of my jaw is feeling sore, along with the side of my tongue. I couldn’t feel my lip or chin for about an hour but it’s getting better. I hope I don’t get any deadly infections or anything and the recovery is smooth! (My mind always searches for new things to worry about)

Congrats and well done! :jump::jump::jump: glad all went well, sounds like your nurse was very reassuring. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Scaredykat... great to hear!!!! How are you doing today?? :grouphug:

I am so glad it went well and is behind you now!

I survived! Currently sitting on the couch with my ice pack. It wasn’t bad, the Valium helped me sleep but this morning I was a wreck. By the time I got there I was shaking, but the nurse was super nice to me and put me at ease, the strangest thing is I don’t even remember falling asleep. The last thing I remember is them putting the oxygen tubes in my nose and it feeling kind of ticklish. I vaguely remember being walked to to the recovery room afterwards. I remember saying some funny things, but I felt in control of what I was saying (if that makes sense). Like I wasn’t revealing any deep dark secrets or anything. I remember I pointed to the mark where the IV was and said “isn’t this funny!” I also remember briefly crying and the nurse saying that it was normal to feel emotional afterwards. All in all, not a bad experience. The worst part is the anticipation.
Right now the bottom of my jaw is feeling sore, along with the side of my tongue. I couldn’t feel my lip or chin for about an hour but it’s getting better. I hope I don’t get any deadly infections or anything and the recovery is smooth! (My mind always searches for new things to worry about)

So happy for you, it really is a great feeling to get it all over with isn't it? Good for you ?

Back