• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Glass Ionomer Filling & panic

C

Cribgoch

Hi,

I have been battling dental phobia for some years now. I had a really bad time at the dentist yesterday (not the dentist's fault at all, she couldn't be nicer) and I was in a very panicked state before I had my checkup. At least I can drag myself to checkups now and receive basic treatment. When the dentist looked in my mouth I was told that I need the metal filling that was replaced 6 months ago needs replacing again with a glass ionomer one this time because the tooth is still very sensitive and I think that glass ionomer ones soothe the nerve (or something like that). The tooth is sensitive to the squirty air thing and I can't eat anything cold, hot, sour or sweet on it. The other teeth seem all ok and there is no decay present. I yelped when the air gun thing hit it, though all the other teeth were fine.

I've done so well with my dental phobia but I'm terrified of going back and having this filling done again incase I panic again, or if the pain doesn't go away and I need something like a root canal or if I need the whole thing taken out. I'm disappointed in myself for assuming I was "safe" to go to the dentist (i.e able to go and not panic) and yesterday felt back to square one.

Please could a dentist here explain what a glass ionomer filling is and how it's placed? Why wasn't I given this type originally as this would have saved me one scary procedure? Also, I feel like I've taken some massive steps backwards in dealing with dental phobia and I'm just really panicking now. Sorry. Feel so ashamed.

A glass ionomer filling is one type of white filling material that dentists use (the other being composite fillings). It is primarily used on baby teeth and on areas of the teeth that don't receive any direct biting force as they tend to wear down far more quickly than composite or amalgam fillings with direct contact.

There are several benefits to glass ionomer over amalgam and composite materials. Glass ionomer bonds chemically to your tooth without any extra bonding steps. It also directly releases fluoride which can help reduce cavities around and under it.

Placement of a glass ionomer filling is very similar to any other type of filling. They'll numb your tooth, remove the old filling with a dental drill, rinse and dry the area, then use a special instrument to place the glass ionomer. It only takes a couple of minutes before it sets up. They'll then smooth and polish and you'll be all done!

Thanks for the info and the clear explanation of what to expect :) One further question: as the filling to be replaced is on a biting surface (it says UR6 O on my treatment plan) will this more fragile type of filling withstand biting and chewing?

I guess I'm a bit miffed as I'm very anxious patient and this isn't the first time a dentist has replaced a filling 6 months later with a different type of substance and on both occasions it was a problem with the filling material, not any more decay being present in my mouth and to be honest I feel frustrated that as an anxious patient I'm being made to have more treatment than absolutely necessary. Oddly enough this tooth didn't hurt at all before the dentist started messing about with it.

One thing that I find difficult to explain is that I am not overly worried by the physical discomfort of the procedure itself - dental procedures always hurt to some extent in my experience but I can play counting games in my head, distract myself and I know that eventually it'll be over. What I do struggle with is the weeks before the appointment when I'm so anxious I can't sleep and feel constantly sick. I suppose if the dentist had said "sorry I need to replace a filling - I'll do it now" then I wouldn't be feeling so horrible. But I need another 6 weeks and that's a scary prospect.

I'm a bit surprised they'd put glass ionomer on the occlusal of the UR6. It won't necessarily break, but it will wear away a lot more quickly than other materials. Typically occlusals are treated with either a composite filling or an amalgam. A well placed (<--this is the key) composite filling should have very little sensitivity within a couple of weeks afterwards. If I were you, I'd discuss this issue with your dentist before they do the work.

drm,

Thanks so much for your responses - will have a chat with my dentist when I go in for the appointment. I'm not great at discussing things with dentist as I tend to panic but I don't want the amalgam filling to be replaced with something that won't hold up only to have to have it taken out and the amalgam put in again. That happened with one of my lower teeth and seriously, all this extra drilling does my head in! I've also read somewhere on this forum that every time a tooth is drilled there is a potential for the nerve to act up and become sensitive. I think my dentist said that she's only drilling out the amalgam, no need for any extra tooth structure to be drilled, but even so, if that's going to make the sensitivity potentially worse, maybe I'm just better off not eating hot/cold/sweet/sour stuff on that side.

Cribgoch

Back