• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Glass Ionomer filling

I

ihatethedentist

Hi I've just had a filling and my dentist said the usual amalgam ones wouldn't work because my tooth was fractured, so she gave me a glass one. How long do these last for? They don't sound very safe and I'm worried about eating on it in the future. I've googled it and it says they make teeth brittle and likely to crumble.
Has anyone ever had one of these? How long did it last for? I've had fillings before and my first one fell out, which was done 7 years ago, so they do tend to last a while.
also can fillings get redone? I'm just worrying because I have that many. Last time one fell out I had the tooth taken out too. If that happened with all my filled teeth I'd hardly have any left!

I have composite (white) fillings that have lasted since 2007. Some of them have started to need to be replaced (they didn't fall out, but some have started to breakdown or leak leading to additional decay). From a patient's perspective, replacing a filling is the same as getting the original filling.

I have composite (white) fillings that have lasted since 2007. Some of them have started to need to be replaced (they didn't fall out, but some have started to breakdown or leak leading to additional decay). From a patient's perspective, replacing a filling is the same as getting the original filling.

That's good to know they're easy to replace. Is a composite filling similar to the glass one I have then? It really doesn't sound safe to me. She only told me after she had done it but I was too numb to ask any questions.
It just doesn't sound right that you can bite on glass...
it's the very back one I've had filled. My back molar on the top right.
Google just says glass is for front teeth so I'm worrying now.

A glass ionomer cement (GIC) is a dental restorative material used in dentistry for dental fillings and luting cements. These materials are based on the reaction of silicate glasspowder and polyalkenoic acid, an ionomer. These tooth-coloured materials were introduced in 1972 for use as restorative materials for anterior teeth (particularly for eroded areas, Class III and V cavities).
As they bond chemically to dental hard tissues and release fluoride for a relatively long period, modern day applications of GICs have expanded. The desirable properties of glass ionomer cements make them useful materials in the restoration of carious lesions in low-stress areas such as smooth-surface and small anterior proximal cavities in primary teeth. Results from clinical studies do not support the use of conventional or metal-reinforced glass ionomer restorations in primary molars, due to higher occlusal stress loads. However, use of glass ionomers in molar teeth is common as cementing, luting or basing materials may be used in temporary to intermediate term restorations in children and adults, particularly in difficult and dentally compromised cases and for medically compromised and elderly patients.

Source:

doesn't tolerate stress well

doesn't tolerate stress well

How long do they usually last? She said she used that as the tooth was fractured so she built it up again using that. Would I be able to go back in a year or two and have it refilled with the other white filling?
I'm scared to eat on that side because I've heard it won't last long and I really can't face any more extractions.

Back