• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Going in for swollen gum - anxiety, bladder issues

  • Thread starter Thread starter Raw_Curls
  • Start date Start date
R

Raw_Curls

Junior member
Joined
Feb 6, 2007
Messages
7
Hello, this is my first post.

I've had dental anxiety for a while now. It isn't anything in particular, just being in the dentists chair. I'm a good patient, try to stay as still as possible, don't scream or fidget, etc. I like my current dentist as well, but for some reason I have tremendous anxiety as soon as I sit in the chair.

I'm no stranger to dentists. All of my adult life I've had root canals and caps because of poor diet and hygiene. The past 6 years though I have really cleaned up my diet, although I have not been regular with the dentist due to the anxiety.

My biggest problem though is the anxiety causes strain and pressure on my bladder. Sometimes I will fast for 8 hours, no food or water before hand, and I still feel the constant need to use the toilet, usually in the middle of treatment. I usually use the bathroom before I leave the house, once I arrive at the dentists' office, and usually at least 2 times if I'm in the chair for more than 45 minutes.

I feel this is the main reason I have avoided the dentist. I did see one a few months back to get a tooth capped. Now I have a very swollen gum in front of my canine tooth, and I haven't had a cleaning in such a long time, I am sure that I have gum issues. I use a sonicare toothbrush, special oral and gum mouthwash and a gum treatment by Dr. Tung's, called Renew.

I have an appointment for tomorrow, and I'm already anxious about it. I'm so sick and tired of having this anxiety. I'm trembing right now even thinking about it.

Any tips?
 
Re: Going in for swollen gum - anxiety, bladder is

Hi and [smiley=welcome.gif],

it is oftentimes harder to overcome anxieties for which there are no apparent reason, so you're not alone in that feeling. What you're describing (needing to empty your bladder) is typical when your body goes into 'flight-or-fight' mode - it's thought that emptying your bladder was a useful response when we had to run from dangerous creatures (such as dentists :P).

Have you shared your concerns with your dentist - does s/he know exactly how frightened you are? Sometimes a problem shared is a problem halved, and many people find that their dentist knowing about how scared they are takes a huge weight off their shoulders.

You could also try things like relaxation audio CDs before appointments, listening to music on an mp3 player while having treatment, or, as recently suggested here, bringing a squeeze ball to squeeze during treatment :). Some people also find it helpful to bring a blanket along - having a blanket cover you may help you feel protected.

Best of luck for your appointment tomorrow :grouphug: - and let us know how you got on.
 
Re: Going in for swollen gum - anxiety, bladder is

oh bless your heart [smiley=hugging.gif] . i no how you are feeling i truly do .
i just went to the dentist this past monday and had two teeth pulled and i was shaking i mean shaking in the chair . my dh was so supportive , and once it was over i seen it was not as bad as i thoguth really , and believe me i am so sceard of a dentist i have not been in years and do to this strong hold of fear i am having to have all my teeth pulled [smiley=ashamed.gif] .
its to late for me to save mine [smiley=ashamed.gif] .
but what helps me to get through this is with every tooth that he pulls right after he pulls one i tell my self you wont hurt me any more ever [smiley=jumping.gif] and then i smile to my self .
i have to go back this thursday and have 4 more pulled that will leave me 15 teeth left , i can not stop now i have to finish this :-/ .
i think its more of a mind game then any thing else . and remember you are in control and you can walk out at any time .
good luck to you and i will be thinking of you [smiley=hugging.gif] .
and remember its ok to be sceard and nervus , but its going to be ok you will be ok and once its over you will think it was not that bad after all [smiley=hugging.gif].
 
Re: Going in for swollen gum - anxiety, bladder is

Thank you for the replies.   It's a funny thing, whenever I'm done with the dentist my bladder no longer feels pressure, and I feel a little euphoric, although a bit exhausted from all the built up stress.

I started using a homeopathic remedy called Gelsemium from the health food store.   It seems to help somewhat.   I have to use adrenaline free novacaine and won't use gas as I'm very sensitive to drugs and tend to get panicky.

The family dentist is a very nice man, he has worked with us financially as we have no insurance, and he knows that I don't like using mercury fillings on the kids, so he charges us way less for the non-amalgam kind on them.    My husband has taken my children on their last appointments, but now I wonder if I should be doing this.   I think if I expose myself to the dentists office more it might get easier when I really need to go in for myself.

I know I really need to get in with a cleaning.   With my teeth, it would probably need a very deep cleaning.
 
Re: Going in for swollen gum - anxiety, bladder is

I'm also wondering if I should do some kind of physical excercise before going, maybe it'll wear out my anxiety a little and I'll be more rested...I don't know....
 
Re: Going in for swollen gum - anxiety, bladder is

Yeah, some physical exercise would probably be great 8-)!


Best of luck with your appointment :grouphug:
 
Re: Going in for swollen gum - anxiety, bladder is

I am back from the dentist.   I wasn't as anxious as I expected myself to be, I believe it is from many of the things I have done:

1)  I didn't eat much at all.  Just had a little fruit last night and 6 oz. of fresh orange juice this morning.   If I was thirsty I just had a sip of water, and no more because of my bladder issues.

2)  I worked out HARD about 1 1/2 hours before my appoinement.   I have a rebounder (mini trampoline), I jumped hard on it for a good 20 minues, and then did my Tibetan Rites and some stretches.  

I truly believe this helped displace a lot of the nervous energy and tension.  That nervous energy had to go somewhere!  Had I just sat around waiting, I think I would have been more anxious.

3)  I took some of the Gelsenium homeopathic remedy after I took a hot shower following the work out.  The hot shower was very relaxing.  

4)  As my car warmed up, I prayed for the Lord to give me peace and help me to relax during the appointment.

5)  When I got into the dentists chair, after the assistant left, I put a dropperful of Bach's Rescue Remedy flower essence under my tongue.  

6)  I talked to the assistant and asked her questions about her, to get the focus off myself.  I talked to her about the song playing on the radio, etc.

7)  Before I left my husband told me that I shouldn't think about all the negative stuff, like being nervous, having to use the toilet, etc.   I kind of agree with that - seems like the more I tell myself I'm going to be anxious and my bladder will bother me, I will make it true in my head.

I truly believe that doing all this, meditating on how relaxed I will be etc. really helps.   Other times I've gone and been a neurotic wreck I usually just sat around waiting for the time to come instead of keeping busy.   I really think that keeping busy, very busy, before hand helps to remove that extra energy.  I was actually so tired from all the busyiness, that I could have fallen asleep in the chair at one point.

I was actually a lot calmer than I thought I would be, however once she tilted the chair back, my heart started to palpitate a bit.  

They took a couple of x-rays and he said that probalby after a deep cleaning my gums will improve...they actually went down from yesterday quite a bit because I was applying tea tree oil on it with a cotton swab, plus I was using Dr. Tung's Rejuv on it, and an herbal oral rinse.

Turns out that I'm going to need to go in for 4 separate quads and a couple of cavities, and I'm also going to get the bonding on my front teeth (from braces) redone. I bought a couple tubes of whitening gel while I was there and dug up my old trays from a few years ago, I'm chomping on them as I write.

I know I will still be nervous, but I will be practicing all the above steps to insure the calmest environment possible.

I'm going to post these tips in the other section, hoping it will help others.
 
Back
Top