• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Going to the dentist in a few weeks

P

prrykat

Hello,

I regularly visit the dentist every 6 months. I have always recieved the very best dental treatment possible...I'm 15 years old and I have sealants on every tooth (except a 12 year molar that I had filled about 6mos ago, it's sealed up anyway), and have only had one small cavity. Up until 6 months ago, I had never had a cavity....you see, the tooth that had one, a 12 year molar (they came in late), didn't fully come in, so it had a lot of them gum still over it for a while, part of it was sticking out, and I was afraid to brush it I guess...and I got a cavity in it. I got the filling, and the needle hurt so bad I felt like I was about to die. I passed out for a few minutes after the needle. Well, it's time to go back to the dentist, and I'm so scared I can hardly function or live. I've spent hours over the past week looking at my teeth in a real strong (strongest they come) make up mirror, I haven't seen anything, but my jaw hurts from holding my mouth open for so long...I'm so scared something's going to be wrong when I go in a few weeks. It's terrifying, I can't stand being this way anymore!! I can't even imagine going back to the dentist's office again. When I looked at the tooth I had the filling in last time, I see a decent sized green/yellow slightly discolored spot, but I'm assuming that is normal, because I have spots like that on some other teeth. I usually brush my teeth twice every day....I need help, I'm sick of this!! Thanks!!

:welcome:
I'm old enough to be your mother (sorry!) and was wondering if you felt able to discuss this with her or other parent/carer - as presumably they share the same dentist. Ask if they also find the injections painful, as sensitivity levels seem to vary from person to person and dentist to dentist. There is a whole section on this website which you may find useful about injections/needle phobia.

Basically if your dentist has good technique  :) (slow delivery), it can be painless; and is even more likely to be so, if you ask for topical anesthesia (numbing cream) to be placed before the injection is given. Did you have the topical numbing cream on this occasion?  It has to be left for about 3 mins to work properly. Another option is to find a dentist who uses The Wand which is a computer-controlled delivery system which everyone seems to find very comfortable indeed.

It's such a shame  :( that having attended regularly, having your first treatment and it not going well, has tipped you into being afraid - presumably you weren't before?  The bottom line is that it actually doesn't have to be painful and it is a perfectly normal reaction to be apprehensive after what happened to you - it must be quite rare for a patient to actually faint - how did they react to this?

Personally, good injection technique is one of my requirements when looking for a dentist but I can assure you I have had many dental injections and not found them uncomfortable at all (usually but not always with topical first).

I think you should  go back to your dentist as planned and try not to worry, as you may not need any more treatment at all. If you do,then explain that you are nervous because of what happened last time and ask what they can do to make it more comfortable for you and say you think you'd like to try it with topical.

I'm sure you'll be fine...it was probably just bad luck and can be avoided in future.
Hope this helps.
Brit
PS Don't let this new fear stop you from going because as you'll realise if you read more on this site, for very anxious patients there are all sorts of sedation options available. It is better to use these than go without treatment.

Hi,

Yes, the numbing stuff was put on, but I couldn't tell it was - all I remember is screaming as hard as I possibly could when the needle went in, it hurt so bad. The dentist did it very quickly. After that I almost passed out, the dentist was okay about it but the assistant seemed very upset and frusturated. It was a very uncomfortable expierence. My mother has gone to this dentist for 20+ years, and she thinks he's so great and all...I absolutely can't stand going there. If I have another problem or need another filling, I absolutely refuse to go there again. The actual filling part wasn't bad at all - the two injections were so bad though I couldn't stand it. It hurt for about three days where those were done. Like I said, if I need this process done again, I would very much prefer to go to a dentist that uses the 'wand'; almost every dentist around here uses it, from what I see online. Am I just overacting?? I'm afraid of having another cavity or something that needs to be filled when I go in a few weeks. If I knew there was something better that could be done I wouldn't feel this way..I'm really starting to get scared and upset. I would rather have gone somewhere else when I had that filling but the appointment was already made before I had a chance to talk to my mom about it. This just has me so upset all of the time now. :cry:

Hi...so sorry you are having such a rough time. I hate the injections too :) Sounds like he didn't wait for the numbing cream to take effect. Also the faster the give the injection, the more pain there is. It's not the needle that causes the actual pain, but the force at which they put the medicine in. My dentist puts it in very slowly and I don't feel that much. I previously had a dentist that tried to get it over with very fast and it was extremely painful (that's why I panic at the very thought of the injections) Is there any way of letting the dentist know you would prefer they give the injection slowly? That is actually what the wand does, puts the medicine in at a very slow rate.

Best of luck to you, keep us posted.

prrykat said:
Hi,

Like I said, if I need this process done again, I would very much prefer to go to a dentist that uses the 'wand'; almost every dentist around here uses it, from what I see online.  Am I just overacting??   :cry:

I don't think you are overreacting at all  :scared: - it sounds like it was very unpleasant. Don't think I'd go back for seconds - if he can't be bothered to do injections slowly,then it's probably always going to be somewhat uncomfortable.

I agree with everything  Freakout has said  - the slowness is more important than the numbing cream as the single-use needles are so sharp (thesedays) anyway.

If it's so easy to find a dentist with the wand (not so easy in Europe) then it might be a good idea to change - hope your mom is sympathetic  :) - chances are though, you probably won't need any more treatment, so either way I wouldn't worry too much.

The reason the filling was fine is because the anaesthesia worked - whatever you do, don't be tempted to try fillings without anesthesia in order to avoid the shots, as that can be unbelievably painful - unless it's a tiny tiny cavity.
Good luck.

He did do the numbing substance, I think he waited about 3 minutes. They gave me gas too, but that didn't do much good either. The second injection was done slowly, but it didn't help much; it still hurt bad, and actually, they did that one at a different spot than the other one, and it hurt even worse.

WHen I look at my teeth in the mirror, on the far back one that I had filled, all along the side of the surface, I see yellowish/dark patches, all along that side. Could that be from the fact that due to the way that tooth was coming in, I didn't brush it, so it turned dark? Or could that be from where it was drilled on? That's what I'm mainly upset about. I don't see any black places, it's just different looking from the rest of my teeth..What could that be?

prrykat said:
He did do the numbing substance, I think he waited about 3 minutes.  They gave me gas too, but that didn't do much good either.  The second injection was done slowly, but it didn't help much; it still hurt bad, and actually

Sounds like you'd definitely be better off with the Wand then. Some people (maybe your mom too) just expect dental treatment to be slightly painful and put up with it. I don't think it has to be and so in your shoes would definitely change.

Okay, thank you. Let's just hope if I need dental treatment/procedure my parents will approve. We have insurance and all, I'm sure that's all covered - mercy, if it costs extra to go somewhere that uses the wand, I'll pay the difference!

One more thing - when I look at my teeth in a mirror (magnified), I see a lot of black lines on my teeth. I've always had those, but the dentist never says anything. What are those?

Hon, you probably had a panic attack during all this and when that happens, things take longer to work, to numb, etc.

You absolutely positively need the Wand. look it up on the internet.
You'll be amazed at this new technology.

Do Not go back to that dentist if you are not comfortable!!!!

Talk to your mom and if necessary, bring her on your computer and to these boards. Let her read our comments.

Tell her we care about you and want the best for you.

We are phobics and we stick together.

We don't want YOU TO BECOME ONE OF US!!!
Let's catch this early and get you the best treatment available.

You're only 15 and we want your teeth to last you the rest of your life.

Love, Melody

prrykat said:
He did do the numbing substance, I think he waited about 3 minutes.  They gave me gas too, but that didn't do much good either.  The second injection was done slowly, but it didn't help much; it still hurt bad, and actually, they did that one at a different spot than the other one, and it hurt even worse.  

Hi There!
I'm really sorry for the bad experience you had...just out of curiosity though...where was the injection given at in your mouth? Top, bottom, front, back...cause there are areas that are much more sensitive then others as well which is a factor...for example...I have had 7 fillings with the same dentist and always had painless injections without the (topical numbing substance prior) all except for one occasion of one bad luck experience where I had one given on the front top left side which was extremely painful but in that case mine stopped, waited for the anesthesia she had already given me to take effect and numb the area up, and then continued with the rest. But I have always heard that the ones in the front are more difficult cause of the tissue there or something like that. I agree with the others as well that going slow is VERY important though...Basically though, I also want to stress that because one injection hurt doesn't necessarily mean it will be terrifyingly painful every time, but I would agree on switching offices if your not comfortable, if you can ,that is. Hope this next appt goes smoothly for ya :thumbsup:

Thank you everyone! I'm going to start brushing with baking soda and try and remove the brown patches before I go - I don't think it's decay, I think it's from where I didn't brush that tooth when it was coming in. Keep fingers crossed.

The injection was given in the back of my mouth - I remember dried blood all over my teeth, it was horrible. I'm never letting that dentist do work on me again. He seemed nervous and kept rolling his eyes like at the assistant. She was very cold too, my mom says she was new and didn't like her either.

Thanks again!

Back