• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Got a crown, so sad :(

T

TeethGuy

This is the second time I'm writing this since when I was working on this on my phone my battery died, so I'm on my PC. I had braces for 3 years and got them off around 2012 - 2013. At some point later on I got a root canal, and now fast forward to more recently my dentist was recommending a crown for the tooth. I'm no dental expert, and this happened during my routine cleaning so the crowning was scheduled. The tooth in question was a grayish color whereas my other teeth are white, but this difference was not really noticeable unless you really looked for it. Now, I was feeling a bit anxious about getting the nova-cane shot for some reason. Eventually the day came for my appointment. That morning, I really didn't feel like going anywhere. I looked up if I need this surgery, and I found people saying you shouldn't get a crown. I looked into it, but it seemed to be lots of people saying "NO DON'T!" and at the end telling you to come and buy something from them, visit their dentist office so it can be done right, etc. Just trying to make a sale after catching my attention. I figured I would get the surgery, it would be fine I figured. I ended up staying up too late that day, and went to sleep an hour before my appointment time, and ended up missing my appointment (not for a lack of trying, once I realized I only had about 15 minutes until my appointment I rushed to get ready, what happened was I didn't actually plan on this all happening this way, I fell asleep). Anyway, I got the appointment rescheduled. I went and got the surgery done and it was no big deal. Over the next day or so however, I noticed that this temporary crown had a gap on the sides of the tooth. My dentist did mention there being a gap, but I didn't think it was even going to really be of any importance and I just pretty much said it was alright and let her do what she had to do for the surgery. Now here I am looking at my teeth, and there's a visible gap on both sides of this temporary tooth. Now, I was not happy, feeling anxious, and self-conscious. You never know how much you liked your smile untill it's been altered even in the slightest. I told my parents about this gap, and I was assured that this wouldn't be the final look of my teeth and this is just a temporary crown. Soon enough my temporary broke in half during me eating due to me forgetting about the temporary and thus commencing to eat a crispy bacon biscuit my mother made. Now I had no tooth, wishing I at least had the crown with the gap. Now I can't leave the house I thought, and felt sad. This morning, we got an appointment scheduled, and went in to get it replaced. My dentist worked and made me a new one. I asked her about the tooth gap, and was told that if she doesn't put a gap then my teeth basically with me connected together thus looking un-natural. She also put some more teeth material (I think it's the cement stuff that was just used for my temporary) to show me how it would look without a gap. Now to get ready for this, she gave me a mirror so I could see in which I realized this temporary didn't seem to have the gap I didn't like in the first one. Once she put in the new material however, the tooth now was messed up since she successfully proved what she meant, but now I had what she was saying would look un-natural. I got her to shave some of the material down so I now had a natural looking tooth gap on the sides of this temporary. She said the rest of the material that didn't come out would flake off later on. After we left, I could feel it there on my teeth, and I was able to break it out. Now I have a even better looking gap, but now the lower right corner of the temporary tooth is gone. I later in the day talked with my parents about how I'm not too happy with this crown situation, and such. All in all: I regret going through this process. My tooth was not bothering me, was awesomely shaped, and 100% naturally made (as it was a real god given tooth). I feel this surgery has undermined my 3 years of braces to get my smile just right to now have it messed up with this gap in my teeth which so far is sounding like will also be a feature of my final crown. I'm also really annoyed as well when I realized through research that you cannot whiten a crown. That actually makes me want to cry to be honest (tearing up a bit right now). I feel I've made a bad mistake, never again. I'm generally very careful and alert, I read all my dental contracts before signing, and I make sure I understand things but this time I was off the ball. So sad, I hope to at the very least have a crown that looks 99.9% identical to my real tooth. I REALLY hope this will be the case, or else all this braces work seems to have been for nothing cosmetically now at this point. It's amazing how much a gap in your teeth can really change your whole perspective. Now I don't like my smile, it doesn't feel like me anymore, I feel like I've lost some of my physical attractiveness as well. I know that doesn't last forever, but I'm 21 and I want to at least enjoy what I had however much or little that is as I don't really even know myself as I've never really had a girlfriend yet at this point. I just don't feel like this is me anymore when I look in the mirror that's not the guy I know. Man, so sad and angry as well. PLEASE make sure you do your researching and ask loads of questions to make sure you are okay with getting a dental surgery before doing so.
A cavity fill is one thing, but changing the shape, alignment or gaps between your teeth is another. For me if I had a do-over I would of never had this surgery, I think I must of missed the first appointment for a reason. Too late now, this emotionally hurts pretty bad.

:cry:.

Hi,
Sorry to read that you are having such a tough time with this tooth. I would not stress over the temporary crown. They tend to be a bit bulky and ill-fitting. The permanent should be a pretty close replica of your original tooth (that’s why it takes so long to have it made and they take impressions). I was honestly surprised at how natural and realistic looking my crown turned out to be once I got the final product. Sometimes, I actually forget which tooth is crowned or that I even have a crown. They should have you try on the crown before cementing it in place so if you aren’t happy with the look of it, you can insist that they send it back for alterations.

I know what you mean about temp crowns not looking right. You will be amazed at how well the final crown will turn out, though.
I actually lost my front tooth in September (due to a childhood injury that abscessed years later), and I had a hard time accepting the fake temporary tooth (flipper). Mine is made well but it doesn’t look right to me and the dentist was adjusting it and took a corner off, which made it look so weird to me for a long time. I have now adjusted and I can’t wait to get my permanent implant crown in.
When do you get your permanent crown?

Hi TeethGuy,

I second kitkat and MountainMama. The temporary crown is not comparable to the final product, it's just a piece of plastic to fill the gap and protect the tooth until the permanent crown arrives.
By the way, root canalled teeth get weak over time and have a high risk of breaking, that is why they need a crown to get stable. If you haven't agreed on getting a crown now, the tooth might break in the future so you would either have to get the crown then or if the tooth breaks badly, it can only be extracted. In this regard, getting a crown was the right decision and will make sure the tooth can stay with you safely.

All the best wishes and let us know how you get on

Teethguy,

I can only agree with all the above and all my teeth I have left are crowned.. The final crowns are way better than the temps.. I've had some pretty awful looking temps. but thankfully its temporary. Also know they can make adjustments as needed both temps and final crowns to make sure they will function and look good for you! Wishing you the best on the final restoration. Crowns help save alot of teeth and really do look very naturally most the time. !

I know what you mean about temp crowns not looking right. You will be amazed at how well the final crown will turn out, though.
I actually lost my front tooth in September (due to a childhood injury that abscessed years later), and I had a hard time accepting the fake temporary tooth (flipper). Mine is made well but it doesn’t look right to me and the dentist was adjusting it and took a corner off, which made it look so weird to me for a long time. I have now adjusted and I can’t wait to get my permanent implant crown in.
When do you get your permanent crown?
In a few weeks they said it should be ready

Thanks for your replies and support guys :) . I got a new temporary and I liked it better. It came out inevitably but I got the actual crown today. It looks great and natural and so the spacing. It's an improvement.

Back