• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Got nitrous didn't feel shit ??

Mims92

Mims92

So my dentist office doesnt have the latest equipment compared to my last dentist but they didn't offer nitrous. So I asked for the gas and they put the nozzle over my nose and honestly it wasnt tight over my nose at all and I could tell it was kind of escaping. We said we would try again next time. She also said she could refer me to a person who would put me to sleep for it but she said it was pricey and wasn't really giving me an approximate quote. Also idk if I trust to be put asleep. I mean anyone can do anything and when Im numbed up good it's not a big deal I just hate the pain of the needle drill and the sound. That's all. What do u guys for this? Do u guys get the gas or pills? I don't want to have to switch my dentist but if their gas mask sucks I might have to find one where I'll actually get effects.

I have had nitrous multiple times. The mask isn’t completely air right on me but it still works. I will say that a few times the gas wasn’t turned up very high and I couldn’t feel the effects at all. I mentioned this and the surgeon turned it up. Then I felt it. Maybe it wasn’t on a high enough titration?
I prefer the nitrous because I want to be able to still know what is going on and be able to hear the surgeon talking me through it. My dentist doesn’t offer nitrous but I haven’t found one in this area that does. I would gladly get nitrous at the dentist if they offered it.

I have had nitrous multiple times. The mask isn’t completely air right on me but it still works. I will say that a few times the gas wasn’t turned up very high and I couldn’t feel the effects at all. I mentioned this and the surgeon turned it up. Then I felt it. Maybe it wasn’t on a high enough titration?
Idk honestly but it was rather disappointing

Being put to sleep is kind of misleading, if she’s talking about IV sedation. Yes, it is expensive but you’re not actually unconscious as you would be for a surgery procedure at a hospital (assuming the sedation is done at a dental office). I’ve had this, and it’s really called conscious sedation - I was out of it enough to not feel any pain or panic, but awake enough to respond to commands and I really don’t remember much of anything.

Being put to sleep is kind of misleading, if she’s talking about IV sedation. Yes, it is expensive but you’re not actually unconscious as you would be for a surgery procedure at a hospital (assuming the sedation is done at a dental office). I’ve had this, and it’s really called conscious sedation - I was out of it enough to not feel any pain or panic, but awake enough to respond to commands and I really don’t remember much of anything.
Oh okay that doesn't sound too bad then. Do you continue to have that done ? Do you know how much it is in Canada Ontario?

When I used to have nitrous gas, I had to use a children's nose attachment because too much of it leaked out of the sides of an adult one. I also had to have it on a very high setting in order to get any effect at all. And I'm in Toronto and just checked my bill for conscious sedation for having most of my teeth extracted about 3 years ago. I was charged $370 for "4 units". I don't know how units are measured, so don't know if that would be based on the time you're under, or the strength of the anaesthetic.

When I used to have nitrous gas, I had to use a children's nose attachment because too much of it leaked out of the sides of an adult one. I also had to have it on a very high setting in order to get any effect at all. And I'm in Toronto and just checked my bill for conscious sedation for having most of my teeth extracted about 3 years ago. I was charged $370 for "4 units". I don't know how units are measured, so don't know if that would be based on the time you're under, or the strength of the anaesthetic.
Thanks girl. 370 isn't that bad for t.o I'm in Kitchener but I think t.o might be cheaper. Idk. I definitely think I need the kids nose attachment I'm gonna mention that to my dentist next time

Oh okay that doesn't sound too bad then. Do you continue to have that done ? Do you know how much it is in Canada Ontario?
No, and no. I had all my teeth extracted at one visit and had temporary dentures the same day, so I no longer need the sedation. I knew there was no way I would be able to have that done while awake and aware. As for the cost, each office has their own pricing schedule so I can’t help you there. Mims cost of 370 per “unit” is less than I paid.

Don't forget that's the prices in CAD and for Ontario, Canada.

Back