• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

gum abscess or mouth ulcer? how do I tell the difference?

G

gerbilnut

I noticed a whitehead (tiny) sore by my back molar (root canalled/with crown afew years ago), it only is sore when i touch it so don't think it's an abscess? I'm using salt rinses and manuka honey to help clear it up. Is this something i should worry about or get checked out? I'd rather not go to the dentist now due to covid fear so hope it's something i can treat myself. I can eat on that side and no pain, i've been eating more sugary foods due to stress so is this what may have caused it? Thanks.

Hi,

An ulcer is mostly temporary and should go away within two weeks. An abscess should remain (may increase or decrease over time).

okay, thanks. it is going away so am hopeful it won't be an issue. What should i use to clean my gums to prevent an infection?

Nothing. You can rinse round with salt water if you really want to do something but it won't make much difference :)

Back