• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gum disease - completely terrifed

K

KatherineS

Hello!

I'm new to this forum and just wanted to get some advice/comfort.
I am 21 years old and have always been scared of the dentist since I remember. I've had some bad experiences with not very nice dentists and that had put me off. Once as I needed to start paying for the dentist, I began avoiding it terribly. I only ever visited 3 times for wisdom tooth problems and only because it was unbearably. About 1 year ago, I had to have a wisdom tooth removed and this was awfully terrifying. Since then, I have avoided the dentist and refused to go.
However, today I decided to face my fears and go to the dentist. I regret this decision since.
I was told that I have pretty bad gum disease and this has absolutely terrified me. I have an awful fear of losing my teeth as well and am now so worried about this. I also have to have another cleaning (the dentist tried to clean more today but it was so painful she couldn't complete) which means I have to go back next week and I also have to see a hygienist.
I have always cleaned my teeth twice a day, flossed and used mouthwash. I'm so upset and scared about all of this.

With you being young, there's a very excellent chance that after a proper cleaning followed by the good home care you are doing, that your gums will heal. No matter how well you take care of your teeth, some people are just more prone to tartar build up than others. Most people, when they return to the dentist after many years, have some gum disease. It's the tartar build up that irritates your gums and can cause issues. Once the tartar is removed, things should get much better. BUT to prevent this from happening in the future, it's important to get regular cleanings and keep up with your good oral hygiene routine.

With you being young, there's a very excellent chance that after a proper cleaning followed by the good home care you are doing, that your gums will heal. No matter how well you take care of your teeth, some people are just more prone to tartar build up than others. Most people, when they return to the dentist after many years, have some gum disease. It's the tartar build up that irritates your gums and can cause issues. Once the tartar is removed, things should get much better. BUT to prevent this from happening in the future, it's important to get regular cleanings and keep up with your good oral hygiene routine.

Thank you so much for your reply. It has really eased my worry a lot. I can't believe I let it get this bad and I'm rather disappointed in myself. I just hope that it will be repaired and sorted easily. I feel like the dentist was particularly rude and cold during my appointment and I came out on the verge of tears which was awful. Just hoping that cleaning will be okay, it was particularly sore today. Thank you once again for your reply.

Given some of the language you're using, I'm guessing you're in the U.K. I know that, in some areas of the U.K. there aren't a lot of options for dentists. I'm wondering if you have other options on your area? There is absolutely no reason for a dentist to be rude or shaming!

Given some of the language you're using, I'm guessing you're in the U.K. I know that, in some areas of the U.K. there aren't a lot of options for dentists. I'm wondering if you have other options on your area? There is absolutely no reason for a dentist to be rude or shaming!

Yes, I'm in the UK. And unfortunately in a very small town with only one dental surgery that offers NHS support (I'm a student) so there really is no other option. I think my hygienist appointment will be done at another surgery due to the fact that mine is quite a small one. Which gives me much relief. But there isn't really any reason for a dentist to be rude!

Hi! I was browsing this section and saw this thread and knew instantly I had to log in before I headed off for the night to reply and give you some form of comfort. Im so sorry you dealt with all those issues. :( I feel your pain in the not nice dentist apartment. Heck Ive had ones that have done bad jobs on fillings which has scared me of most of them. :(

You are NOT alone though! Iam in the same exact boat you are, haha Im even the same age as you! Its been a year, nearly 2, since Ive gone to the dentist. Like you I only have went since then to the dentist, because my wisdom teeth were bothering me. (Back in October) But unlike you I had all 4 since they were impacted...only 2 of them ever really caused me issues but it was best to just have them all out.

Ive been wanting to get a cleaning done for 2 months now but my app isnt until next month which sucks for me since I have over 9 trillion questions and fears. myself.
:shame: I have some tartar build up (mainly on my bottom teeth) and despite me cleaning my teeth religiously, flossing and using mouthwash I still get it anyways. I think despite how well we take care of our teeth some of us are just more prone to tartar then others. (Thats what dental cleanings are for hehe!..Rip us poor peeps that are scared out of our minds to go though.)

And its perfectly okay cuz not everyone is the same but you'll be okay after you get all the icky stuff off and you'll feel so much better. Good for you for getting it done don't regret your descesion. :( youve taken a really brave step having went through it. Though since we're in the same boat I wonder if I'll have to see a hygentist myself. :confused: My teeth don't bleed or hurt when I floss/brush my issue is just moreso build up and stains from this medicated rinse I had to use a month ago.

And like Fearful said your still young so you'll be able to heal/get through this alot quicker. :)

And your dentist shouldn't have been so rude either!! :mad: Maybe you should look into finding a different one I wouldn't wanna go back to someone that had terrible manners. really sucks there aren't too many dentists there in the UK. In the state I live in there aren't too many dentists that take my insurance so I only have a very small circle of options. :(
I just hope you don't put too much blame on yourself for all of this, its never too late to take care of your teeth. :XXLhug:

Hi! I was browsing this section and saw this thread and knew instantly I had to log in before I headed off for the night to reply and give you some form of comfort. Im so sorry you dealt with all those issues. :( I feel your pain in the not nice dentist apartment. Heck Ive had ones that have done bad jobs on fillings which has scared me of most of them. :(

You are NOT alone though! Iam in the same exact boat you are, haha Im even the same age as you! Its been a year, nearly 2, since Ive gone to the dentist. Like you I only have went since then to the dentist, because my wisdom teeth were bothering me. (Back in October) But unlike you I had all 4 since they were impacted...only 2 of them ever really caused me issues but it was best to just have them all out.

Ive been wanting to get a cleaning done for 2 months now but my app isnt until next month which sucks for me since I have over 9 trillion questions and fears. myself.
:shame: I have some tartar build up (mainly on my bottom teeth) and despite me cleaning my teeth religiously, flossing and using mouthwash I still get it anyways. I think despite how well we take care of our teeth some of us are just more prone to tartar then others. (Thats what dental cleanings are for hehe!..Rip us poor peeps that are scared out of our minds to go though.)

And its perfectly okay cuz not everyone is the same but you'll be okay after you get all the icky stuff off and you'll feel so much better. Good for you for getting it done don't regret your descesion. :( youve taken a really brave step having went through it. Though since we're in the same boat I wonder if I'll have to see a hygentist myself. :confused: My teeth don't bleed or hurt when I floss/brush my issue is just moreso build up and stains from this medicated rinse I had to use a month ago.

And like Fearful said your still young so you'll be able to heal/get through this alot quicker. :)

Thank you for your reply! I'm so glad I found this forum, people are incredibly nice here :)
I'm so glad I only had to have one wisdom tooth out, all of my others have come through fine but that one decided that it wanted to grow into my jaw, so unfortunately had to get that one out!

I hope that your appointment goes well and try not to be too worried. My gums were bleeding quite bad before so maybe you might be okay? Either way, you're just as brave for making an appointment. Let me know how it goes!

Thank you once again for your kind comments! They have really reassured me!

And your dentist shouldn't have been so rude either!! :mad: Maybe you should look into finding a different one I wouldn't wanna go back to someone that had terrible manners. really sucks there aren't too many dentists there in the UK. In the state I live in there aren't too many dentists that take my insurance so I only have a very small circle of options. :(
I just hope you don't put too much blame on yourself for all of this, its never too late to take care of your teeth. :XXLhug:

No, it was really horrible. Luckily, my dentist surgery often switches around dentists as they take on newly qualified dentists and trainees (more dentists) so there's usually never the same dentists every 6 months. Unfortunately, the same dentist will be doing the same clean on my teeth next week and I'm dreading it already. She wasn't exactly very gentle with it and my gums are still hurting today :( thank you for your comments and I will try not too :XXLhug:

Can you request a different dentist at at practice for your next appointment?

Back