• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gum growing over broken tooth

L

leve

I made a appointment with my dentist and I will be going in on Thursday. I had a root canal done well over 10 yrs ago and when my filling came out it took a part of the tooth with. I know it needs to be taken out, just this weekend a part of it cracked and now the gum has grown over. I am beyond scared, for one im not a huge fan of my dentist ( I just started going to him, and im a anxious person) so when he was taking xrays I continued to gag, he will need to take an xray on this tooth and im scared to do so. My question is, if the gum has grown over what can be done to remove the remaining tooth, will I need to go see a oral surgeon? I fear i'm starting a infection if I take antibiotics will the swelling go down and allow him to remove it? I think if i go in knowing what to expect I will feel better about the situation.

Lauren

Hi Lauren sorry it has taken a couple of days to answer you. I am not a dentist but they will be able to get the remainder of the tooth out. You will be numbed up and they can test this to make sure, if you aren't then they can give you more stuff. They will prepare the tooth that is left then lift it out. People have said that it is easier to get roots out than a full complete tooth.

You won't feel anything, maybe a bit of pressure no pain. You may hear like a tearing noise, again no pain. Your dentist may not have to take another x ray, they may be able to see the best way to treat it without. Explain that having an x ray worries you and why to the dentist if they are aware of how bad you feel they will be able to help you.

I wish you all the best :XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug: let us know how you get on please GOOD LUCK :clover::clover::clover: :hug5::hug5::hug5::butterfly:

Back