Soma
Member
- Joined
- Jan 7, 2012
- Messages
- 92
Gnawing, dull, sometimes non-existant ache deep in my gums around and below my back wisdom tooth, it sometimes travels to my ears, or down my neck. I've had a few bouts of cold sweats, I feel "Off" in general. No medicine, or antibiotic has really made it feel any better or worse. Hot peppermint tea seems to be the only thing that brings some temporary comfort.
I've been dealing with this in waves for almost a year now, I've been to the dentist multiple times throughout these symptoms. I've gone in for "emergency" check up with him twice and I had a regular cleaning, with x-rays a few months ago. He admits things are a bit cramped back there, but otherwise the tooth is in perfect shape. It's never had any work done on it, it grew in perfectly straight. He says he really doesn't think it's dental related, he did give me a round of amox, but as I mentioned before, it really had no effect. He said I should see my regular doctor, and I did yesterday.
They poked around my mouth, my neck, had me do some jaw openings and closings. Asked if I grind my teeth, I do to some extent when I'm sleeping. They did a round of bloodwork to check for any sort of infection or suspcious things, did a throat culture. Everything came back clean. She said she thinkgs it's stress and tmj/grinding - to take some advil and if it doesn't clear up, see the dentist.
I feel like a yo-yo. I am stressed, I am a hypocondriac, but these symptoms feel too uncomfortable to be made up in my head. I'm looking for your 2 cents on the situation. I hate to crawl back to the dentist and beg for another x-ray when we just did that song and dance a few weeks ago. He thinks I'm crazy. Maybe I am...it wouldn't be the first time my body lied to my brain.
My worry is that I have an infection, or a deadly abscess forming.
If I did have an infection, wouldn't the hot tea send me through the roof instead of comforting the area?
The fact that heat is comforting makes me think that just maybe it's muscle related (tmj)
The 'valley' between my cheek and my gums is pretty red and beat up, I've done a ton of hot salt water swishes, oil oil "pulls", I've tried leaving black tea bags tucked in my cheek for a half hour trying to draw any infection out. I feel like that created a ton of microscopic sores, If I slide my finger around the bottom of my gums it feels like I touching 100 canker sores.
I'm just completely lost at this point. If something really bad was going on wouldn't something siginificant shown up for a diagnosis by now - between the dentist and the doctors?
I've been dealing with this in waves for almost a year now, I've been to the dentist multiple times throughout these symptoms. I've gone in for "emergency" check up with him twice and I had a regular cleaning, with x-rays a few months ago. He admits things are a bit cramped back there, but otherwise the tooth is in perfect shape. It's never had any work done on it, it grew in perfectly straight. He says he really doesn't think it's dental related, he did give me a round of amox, but as I mentioned before, it really had no effect. He said I should see my regular doctor, and I did yesterday.
They poked around my mouth, my neck, had me do some jaw openings and closings. Asked if I grind my teeth, I do to some extent when I'm sleeping. They did a round of bloodwork to check for any sort of infection or suspcious things, did a throat culture. Everything came back clean. She said she thinkgs it's stress and tmj/grinding - to take some advil and if it doesn't clear up, see the dentist.
I feel like a yo-yo. I am stressed, I am a hypocondriac, but these symptoms feel too uncomfortable to be made up in my head. I'm looking for your 2 cents on the situation. I hate to crawl back to the dentist and beg for another x-ray when we just did that song and dance a few weeks ago. He thinks I'm crazy. Maybe I am...it wouldn't be the first time my body lied to my brain.
My worry is that I have an infection, or a deadly abscess forming.
If I did have an infection, wouldn't the hot tea send me through the roof instead of comforting the area?
The fact that heat is comforting makes me think that just maybe it's muscle related (tmj)
The 'valley' between my cheek and my gums is pretty red and beat up, I've done a ton of hot salt water swishes, oil oil "pulls", I've tried leaving black tea bags tucked in my cheek for a half hour trying to draw any infection out. I feel like that created a ton of microscopic sores, If I slide my finger around the bottom of my gums it feels like I touching 100 canker sores.
I'm just completely lost at this point. If something really bad was going on wouldn't something siginificant shown up for a diagnosis by now - between the dentist and the doctors?
