• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gum recession in one tooth...implications?

E

emmad85

Hi all,

I'm 28 and going through a fair amount of dental problems at the moment,but one of my more minor problems is gum recession around a lower first molar (6th)? This is causing me ridiculous amounts of discomfort, mainly tactile just from lip / tongue contact but at times so bad I'm taking ibuprofen and using tooth mousse and direct sensodyne application, which helps a little.

What I'd like to know is does this mean I am bound to develop recession around my other teeth as well? Or could this stay localised? I.e what's the prognosis?

I do not show evidence of gum disease on my dental exams and have good oral hygiene, do not smoke etc. I suspect I have been brushing too hard... ironically in an effort to avoid more cavities and root canal!!

Thank you!

What I'd like to know is does this mean I am bound to develop recession around my other teeth as well? Or could this stay localised? I.e what's the prognosis?
The prognosis depends on the diagnosis. Is the recession is a result of gum inflammation (than most chances that other teeth would be involved) or is it hard brushing. Only a dentist who checks your teeth can really answer you.

Hi, thank you for answering! :)

Okay, I assume brushing as my other gums seem fine and I got all '1s' for my gums on my last check up... I think I'm right in thinking this relates to gum health?! :)

Ps, really interesting to note the psychology degree as well if you don't mind me saying! :)

Hi, thank you for answering! :)

Okay, I assume brushing as my other gums seem fine and I got all '1s' for my gums on my last check up... I think I'm right in thinking this relates to gum health?! :)
It is difficult to answer. I prefer not to speculate on this, it would not be a responsible thing to do.

Back