Re: Hadn't been in 7 years...went today...but now.
I went today to the for my consultation with the new dentist. It was great, they spent 2 hours talking with me! I didn't feel silly or stupid at ALL. And they said (though they don't take state health insurance normally for over 21 patients) they would take it for the stuff the state insurance will cover (fillings & extractions is it we think), and I'll be borrowing money from my Mom for the rest (I'll get the "hard numbers" next Wednesday or Thursday, he said it will be under $15,000, but likely over $10,000, I'm not sure if that's including what medicaid covers or not, whatever it is, it's at least $7-$8K, should've seen my Mom's face when I told her that, hehe). They did a new set of x-rays too. I need 3 root canals, ALL 4 wisdom teeth out, at least 1 crown, and about 8 fillings I think it was, and *possibly* one of the root canals could turn into an extraction, and then I'd get a lovely fake tooth put in (they DRILL into your tooth to hook the fake tooth in, which terrifies me). Something strange, on the bottom left side of my mouth, the ONLY thing I need done is a wisdom tooth out. No cavities or anything, isn't that bizarre? So anways, one of the Dr's there also does the anesthesia for an excellent endodontist (root canal guy), so they are thinking I should have the root canals done first, at the endodontist they work with, under "deep sedation" not general. And then I'll go back to them for everything else being done in one appointment, under General. They showed me the surgery room and explained everything to me (I can have nitrous first, so I'm not even awake for the needle in the arm, and they'll take that out, and also the tube down my *nose & throat* before I'm awake). And they gave me a valium that I can take the night before if I want, but they said it could make my nursing toddler sleepy, so I likely won't take that. And after the surgeries, it can take 24-48 hours for it all to be out of my system since I don't pump. With enough movies and Grandma/Daddy/Grandpa attention, the little one likely won't truly notice. Unless I get into the endodontist for the actual work (I have to have a consult with him first) the week after next, I won't go into that until at least July 10th. They said I could even go the very next day after that and have the stuff under General done, and that I'll feel pretty out of it for 24-48 hours (tired, droopy, etc.)
I didn't cry at all at this appointment, I'm in awe that they spent 2 hours with me (hygenist, and 2 dentists!) They were sooo nice. And I've been in the office before because of the kids, so I felt more at ease. It was just actually a great appt. I hope they'll let me go there for my regular cleanings after all this is done, because I'd be more likely to go if I'm already at ease with the place! I feel like I can do all this, and then if I ever have a cavity or two in the future, I can do it with just novacain. I just need to get over these BIG humps.