• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Has anyone ever tried to take a stress ball?

• Thread starter ilostmynewunicorn
  • Start date
I

ilostmynewunicorn

I've heard it reduces anxiety and pain on the office.

Gonna have a RCT next Tuesday and I'm seriously considering taking one of these.

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

I just read about someone using a stress ball and music a couple of days ago on here. If you think it will help then take it with you.

You shouldn't have any pain while treatment is being done, if you do feel anything let them know and they can give you more of the numbing stuff.

I have had a few rct's all pain free, they aren't to be feared. I understand your anxiety, but you will be amazed at how easy they are to get done. You will feel nothing, the worst thing about a rct is that they are boring. There is very little drilling and the work on the tooth once access is gained the rct is done with little hand files. It will be over before you know it. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

I just read about someone using a stress ball and music a couple of days ago on here. If you think it will help then take it with you.

You shouldn't have any pain while treatment is being done, if you do feel anything let them know and they can give you more of the numbing stuff.

I have had a few rct's all pain free, they aren't to be feared. I understand your anxiety, but you will be amazed at how easy they are to get done. You will feel nothing, the worst thing about a rct is that they are boring. There is very little drilling and the work on the tooth once access is gained the rct is done with little hand files. It will be over before you know it. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

Hey thanks for the kind words :jump::jump::):)

I already had a rct before but my old dentist was crazy so she would give every one of her patients a injection on the root of the tooth, close to the bone. Those injections are only needed 5-10% of the time and are usually avoidable pretty easily, but she would just give them out even if we were reacting just fine to the normal anesthesia. So that's why I'm a little scared :( but I'm with a new dentist now, I hope everything goes fine.

I am sure you will be fine, I don't know the last time you saw a dentist but my experience over the last 3 to 4 years is that things have changed a lot. The stuff they use now seems to work quicker and doesn't take as long to thaw out after.

How many times have you seen the dentist that is going to do this ?

Explain how nervous you are and explain that the injection bothers you, they have a gel called topical that they can rub on your gums before injecting so that you don't feel it. Even without the gel if they do it really slowly you won't feel it.

All the best to you :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

I am sure you will be fine, I don't know the last time you saw a dentist but my experience over the last 3 to 4 years is that things have changed a lot. The stuff they use now seems to work quicker and doesn't take as long to thaw out after.

How many times have you seen the dentist that is going to do this ?

Explain how nervous you are and explain that the injection bothers you, they have a gel called topical that they can rub on your gums before injecting so that you don't feel it. Even without the gel if they do it really slowly you won't feel it.

All the best to you :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

The last time time I saw a dentist was 3 months ago :/ and this new one, I have only seen her once (x-rays and treatment plan).

I'm not afraid of the local anesthesia, it's something else called a supraperiosteal injection, that is sometimes used in root canals. That's the thing that scares me the most.

Thanks for the wishes :)

Hi.

I've used a stress ball at appointments for several months now. It helps with the anxiety, not pain. If you're worried about pain or numbing tell your dentist and they can give you extra no problem.

For me, I actually have to keep something in both of my hands, because I shake a lot and the anxiety gets really bad for me. I've started taking a small stuffed bear with me to appointments and I hold the bear in my left hand and the stress ball in my right. I can squeeze them both when necessary.

My suggestion is take anything with you that you feel will help to put you more at ease. It's not uncommon for patients to take their own music with headphones to the dentist now, to help block out sounds and relax them. I do this also.

Feel free to ask if you have any other questions or concerns.

If your dentist knows your situation they'll work with you. My new dentist is working with me on things like this to use as coping skills during appointments.

Good luck.

JJ

Hi! I normally do not take anything to hold/squeeze but in the past, when I have been very anxious, my dentist has offered me a stress ball during treatment to help my nerves and it makes a difference. Do whatever you think will make you more comfortable! Good luck! :clover:

Back