• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

has anyone tried meditation?

S

sandra03

just wondering if anyone's had any success with meditation at the dentist.
i've tried using some basic relaxation techniques to help ease anxiety, i find it helps quite a bit. at my previous dentist's office he still used the traditional needle method for freezing which meant after the shot he'd leave and check on other patients while waiting for the freezing to set in. i used this time to take deep breaths and do some visualization. by the time he came back in i'd be in a nice calm happy place and just had to maintain it through the visit.

my new dentist uses freezing which is instant so i don't get those few minutes to myself so i find i have more anxiety even though he's supposed to be one of the best in town

Last edited by a moderator:
my new dentist uses freezing which is instant so i don't get those few minutes to myself so i find i have more anxiety even though he's supposed to be one of the best in town

On meditation, self-hypnosis, yes any form of relaxation technique is great....I have always found it easier to relax if I like the dentist on a personal level.
You could go somewhere else where they leave you 'to meditate' before coming back but one downside of that could be if they were busy and rushed, the LA might have worn off by the time they get back to you - so there are always pros and cons.
The modern LAs tend to all work pretty quickly, my dentist certainly never rushes off while its taking effect. We chat for a couple of minutes which is just a different form of relaxation I suppose.

Even if he is 'the best in town', the quality of your relationship needs to be good and there needs to be trust, for you to feel relaxed in his presence, I would bet.

I try to meditate a few times a week. I love it if I can get deep into it. I am still trying too encourage myself too get to the dentist since my mouth is aboslutely horrible. That is my fear is having a panic attack, the mind is such a powerful weapon it can do you good or bad depending on your mindset. What is freezing by the way? Thats how long it has been for me.

Freezing is Canadian for numbing (well, at least I think it's a Canadian expression...)

haha yes sorry. anesthesia/numbing/freezing
the old fashioned needle usually took a few minutes to fully take effect so you had some time to gather your wits before the drill etc hit you, but the newer methods, the wand and whatnot, take effect right away, which is nice cause you're done and out of there faster but not so nice cause you don't get those few minutes to do some deep breathing etc. it's hard to do while they're working on you =/

I would need the meditation before anything started, especially the shot. Way too freaked out about what's going to happen to be able to concentrate and get anything worthwhile out of the meditation.

Last edited by a moderator:
the old fashioned needle usually took a few minutes to fully take effect so you had some time to gather your wits before the drill etc hit you, but the newer methods, the wand and whatnot, take effect right away

Just to clarify - the wand is just a computer-controlled injection - the technique you've mentioned sounds more like intraosseous anaesthesia and this takes effect right away (unlike the wand and other methods). The most common intraosseous system is called Stabident. Routine use of intraosseous anaesthesia is actually quite rare.

Thought I'd mention this in order to avoid confusing other readers :)

Stabident--what a sick, cruel-sounding name for anything dental. Where were the ad people when this name was picked out?

It's so bad it's almost funny ;D... I wonder what other choices the advertising people came up with... Stab-a-Tooth TM?? The Tooth Stabber???

Stabident--what a sick, cruel-sounding name for anything dental. Where were the ad people when this name was picked out?

Maybe it's just me, but it sounds like something you're supposed to use to stab a Dentist with!! :o :giggle:

It's so bad it's almost funny ;D... I wonder what other choices the advertising people came up with... Stab-a-Tooth TM?? The Tooth Stabber???

You want funny...what about a Dutch website which says in Dutch and English:

'Children are very welcome to our practice, and are never too young for their first visit. It should be just as ordinary to visit the dentist as it is the butcher or baker'.
:o :ROFLMAO:

Back