• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Has anyone tried whitening products?

kitkat

kitkat

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been known to dabble in the home whitening products and was just wondering what people have tried. Do you have any likes/dislikes? Has anyone tried professional whitening and what kinds?
Personally, I have tried the Crest 3d white strips which seem to work well at first but the effects don't really last long. Also, they make my teeth and gums a little sensitive if I try to use them everyday as directed. I also drool a lot when I have the strips on for those 30 minutes which makes them a little hard to manage! :drool: Now I have resorted to trying the Crest 3d white toothpaste and it seems to be making a difference already (after only 2 uses) but then my teeth are feeling a bit sensitive so I don't know how I feel about it...will have to give it more time... :( A few years ago, I tried the Aquafresh whitening toothpaste and ended up with white spots on my teeth that appeared to be from the toothpaste being too abrasive. I switched to an enamel friendly toothpaste immediately after that and the white spots went away eventually.
I have considered the professional whitening. With the trays that are offered by my dentist, I doubt I'd actually follow through with doing it at home. Therefore, it would have to be an in-office procedure like Zoom but also worried about the sensitivity associated with that and my dentist does not offer Zoom plus I question whether it's worth it. Thoughts anyone?

Hi kitkat I hope you are well, I haven't tried the whitening strips or anything else like that. I do use sensodyne gentle whitening toothpaste because my teeth can be sensitive. I started using it because I was in agony with sensitive teeth. I have found that this is the only toothpaste that works, the whitening one also seems to help with the colour of my teeth as well. I have noticed that if I get one that is not the whitening my teeth don't seem as bright. I didn't think it worked, but it did make a difference.

That's as much help, or not as I can be sorry. :butterfly:

I've used the dental whitening strips and had decent results. I drink a lot of tea and they removed a lot of that staining. Did they get my teeth super white? No. But they did do more than I thought they would.

I have sensitive front teeth and I found that Crest 3D white was too much for them. I use a toothpaste for sensitive teeth that I alternate with Colgate Total.

My dentist offers the Zoom whitening treatment but he did caution me when I asked about it because I have sensitive teeth. From what I've read online about it, if you have sensitive teeth you really need to make a careful decision about whether or not to try that procedure. Apparently the pain is transitory but it can be quite intense.

BH

I have sensitive front teeth and I found that Crest 3D white was too much for them. I use a toothpaste for sensitive teeth that I alternate with Colgate Total.

I'm really liking the Crest 3D white toothpaste and a thinking of alternating between using it with a toothpaste for sensitivity.

My dentist offers the Zoom whitening treatment but he did caution me when I asked about it because I have sensitive teeth. From what I've read online about it, if you have sensitive teeth you really need to make a careful decision about whether or not to try that procedure. Apparently the pain is transitory but it can be quite intense.

Yes, I've read reviews about this procedure online and some people have no problems and others say it is unbearable towards the end! :o I'm a wuss and my teeth are sensitive so this probably wouldn't fly with me. Even if my teeth didn't react to it, I'd be afraid that they might react through the whole procedure! :(

My hygienist recommended that I use the Crest 3D Whitestrips to brighten my teeth. I also have extremely sensitive teeth and did not use the strips for that reason. I did, however, use the Crest 3D toothpaste for a week before my last cleaning appointment, and I did notice that my teeth were probably 1/2 a shade whiter...which was fine by me and my hygienist didn't bring up whitening again so.........maybe it did the trick.

Back