• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Having last 8 teeth on top removed 9/26/13 and have questions and anxiety!!!

J

jlewis229

Having last 8 teeth on top removed 9/26/13 and have questions and anxiety!!!

OK, So i'm 28, I've always had issues with my teeth since a teenager! No matter how much I brushed or flossed I always had cavities. Over the course of years my teeth have been filled, over and over and at this point most every tooth on the top needs a root canal and a few are beyond saving and the dentist told me even having a root canal isn't going to save them forever because of the issue I have wit acid erosion and lack of enamel and that it just made more since to pull them and save the money to fix the bottom where I just have a few issues.

SO, This coming Thursday 9/26 I am having the 8 teeth I have left on top (I have a partial, and have had since I was about 20) pulled and I am just so filled with anxiety! I am hard to numb, I know I'll have to have lots of anasthetics to get that job done! I am also getting Nitrous b/c most of the time I have a tooth pulled or major work done I always do b/c it really helps me relax BUT I've never had 8 teeth pulled at once! I have seriously thought about taking like a half a Xanax before I go and the other half when I get there but not sure if they would give me something before the procedure and don't want to take too much. I think I'm going to call Monday and ask if they will give me something there or If they can give me a prescription to get filled and take before the procedure. I do trust this dentist, I've used the group for quite a few years now, he's done a lot of my fillings, made my last two partials and pulled quite a few teeth for me. I'll go ahead & admit that I'm not great when dealing with pain, I have a low tolerance to pain and a high tolerance to meds! Yea, best of both worlds RIGHT!

Anyone that has had this amount of work done care to share their experience with me? Was it as bad as you thought? Were you in just awful pain? How long were you out of work? I work in Customer Service in a call center,so I talk constantly and know I'm going to be really sore! I told my manager I was having it done, I'm having it done of my off day Thursday, I'm also off Friday and plan on taking Saturday off, do you think I'll be able to go back Sunday? I'm having my denture placed immediately b/c no way in hell i'm going without teeth!

I can't think of anything else at the moment, I guess if anyone can please just share experiences and assure me I AM GOING TO BE OK!!! SO NERVOUS!!!! :frantic::terror:

Thanks!

Johnathan

Re: Having last 8 teeth on top removed 9/26/13 and have questions and anxiety!!!

Oh and btw, I did have oral surgery when I was somewhere around 18-20 years old to have all of my wisdom teeth cut out and it was a HORRIBLE experience! I woke up screaming and crying in pain!!!! To top it off, I got an infection & had to have a drain put in! I know that cutting into the gums and removing teeth is more invasive but I am really hoping to not have any issues like this again! Just one more reason for my fear and anxiety! :helpme:

Re: Having last 8 teeth on top removed 9/26/13 and have questions and anxiety!!!

Hi Johnathan.

I just got 21 teeth extracted Wednesday. I took Thurs off, then worked yesterday. I didn't take my pain med, and I was hurting so bad by the time I got off work. I decided to take today and tomorrow off. My off days are Mon-Wed, so I have time to heal. I go back to the dr Wed for a follow up. My job also entails having to talk a lot. Yesterday, people could not understand me...which was frustrating to me.

I would not take any meds before the procedure. If you're concerned, call the office and tell them of your anxiety several days before getting the extractions. Ask them what they will give you and ask about taking half a Xanax. Does someone have to accompany you? I had to have someone at the office during the procedure and to drive me home. You should also get prescriptions to help after the procedure.

You CAN do this, and you WILL BE OK.

My mom is going with me, I definitely won't feel like driving.

I'm going to call Monday and ask about getting something for anxiety to take before.

Johnathan

I called the dentist this morning and they called me in some Valium to take before my procedure! That makes me feel a little better although still nervous:terror: as hell! Hopefully It'll go away once I take the Valium :drool: nd then get on the Nitrous! I know the Nitrous will for sure help relax me!!! :sleep:

I also asked about when I should go back to work and they said I shouldn't go back before Monday, so that's 4 days off, sure will be nice to be off from work over the weekend since I'm never off but wish it were better circumstances LOL...OK well I just wanted to update, although I haven't gotten near the posts I had hoped for since this seems to be a pretty popular site but 1 is better than None! Thank You Oshin for the reply!

Johnathan

Hi, I was wondering how you got on?

My mom is going with me, I definitely won't feel like driving.

I'm going to call Monday and ask about getting something for anxiety to take before.

Johnathan

Back