• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Having my first ever extraction next week ... starting implant process too

L

luckyman316

So I've been to my 3rd dentist, after never seeing one for almost 5 years now. I'm satisfied with this step and unfortunately need a tooth extract which had a root canal fail on it (and get infected).

Here are some of my thoughts:

-Not only did this dentist explain this to me, but he put me at ease and confirmed my fears for a fistula I've had for over a year
-Dentist gave me plenty of options and didn't push anything on me
-They are open during this time of COVID-19 to do this and have pretty much given me their only appointment
-He checked my bite from where I had a bridge done. Not only did he disagree with the bridge being done, but my bite is very off, so this will be corrected. It probably has caused my jaw to shift a lot.
-I feel this dentist is a perfectionist

Now the scary thoughts:
-The price and length of time it takes to do this procedure
-Will pulling the tooth cause my tinnitus to spike up. After all, that same root canal is when things started up on that
-How will I reach to the medication he wants to give me, especially with a liver condition.
-Will I experience any post extraction issues short of the soreness and stuff going on with it

While I keep having second thoughts, I know this needs to get done. This is not curing itself any time soon. It may even resolve a lot of neuromuscular issues I'm having from my jaw/ears/head afterwards. I've never had a normal tooth extracted in my adult life short of 4 wisdom teeth, which I was put under for. Crossing my fingers and wish me luck!

Hi there,

reading your post makes me wonder what kind of restrictions are going on in your country currently.. reading about people who can't even get an extraction done at that time, I am a bit surprised about your implant procedure. On the other hand dentists in my country work more or less as usual so this might differ depending on where you are..
I can only encourage you to clarify and ask any questions you need to know before starting any procedure, particularly something like an implant. It sounds to me like you are pushing yourself to get it done and try not to pay to much attention to your second thoughts, but you do not have to. It is ok to get all the background information you need and then start the process.
May I ask what exactly will be done in terms of starting the implant process on your next appointment?

All the best wishes

Hi there,

reading your post makes me wonder what kind of restrictions are going on in your country currently.. reading about people who can't even get an extraction done at that time, I am a bit surprised about your implant procedure. On the other hand dentists in my country work more or less as usual so this might differ depending on where you are..
I can only encourage you to clarify and ask any questions you need to know before starting any procedure, particularly something like an implant. It sounds to me like you are pushing yourself to get it done and try not to pay to much attention to your second thoughts, but you do not have to. It is ok to get all the background information you need and then start the process.
May I ask what exactly will be done in terms of starting the implant process on your next appointment?

All the best wishes
If the OP is in the US, the restrictions can vary from state to state. The American Dental Association put out recommendations to stop all work that wasn’t an emergency but it wasn’t an order. Each state has its own set of guidelines and rules. My state allows dentists to still see patients with emergencies and “special conditions”, as long as they follow the guidelines put in place, which call for extra sanitizing and only one patient at a time in the lobby or with the dentist. I was called in as a special condition to get my implant crown placed. Plus just a few days ago the federal government laid out a phased plan to reopen states, decided by each state’s government, as long as certain requirements are met. So in some states, dentists have still been working on patients, just not elective work.

So I've been to my 3rd dentist, after never seeing one for almost 5 years now. I'm satisfied with this step and unfortunately need a tooth extract which had a root canal fail on it (and get infected).

Here are some of my thoughts:

-Not only did this dentist explain this to me, but he put me at ease and confirmed my fears for a fistula I've had for over a year
-Dentist gave me plenty of options and didn't push anything on me
-They are open during this time of COVID-19 to do this and have pretty much given me their only appointment
-He checked my bite from where I had a bridge done. Not only did he disagree with the bridge being done, but my bite is very off, so this will be corrected. It probably has caused my jaw to shift a lot.
-I feel this dentist is a perfectionist

Now the scary thoughts:
-The price and length of time it takes to do this procedure
-Will pulling the tooth cause my tinnitus to spike up. After all, that same root canal is when things started up on that
-How will I reach to the medication he wants to give me, especially with a liver condition.
-Will I experience any post extraction issues short of the soreness and stuff going on with it

While I keep having second thoughts, I know this needs to get done. This is not curing itself any time soon. It may even resolve a lot of neuromuscular issues I'm having from my jaw/ears/head afterwards. I've never had a normal tooth extracted in my adult life short of 4 wisdom teeth, which I was put under for. Crossing my fingers and wish me luck!

I had my first adult tooth/teeth extractions (other than wisdom teeth which I was put out for) in the past year and a half. I also got implants put in. It was a long process but it was worth it! I can’t answer your medical questions but I can say having my failed root canal tooth extracted took away a whole host of problems, some I didn’t realize where related until it was gone. I felt so much better! It was pricey for sure, but worth it. I don’t know what medications you would need, but I just got low level pain killers and only took them a few days, then just Tylenol. I can’t take ibuprofen due to a past stomach ulcer. I did get some antibiotics but that was it.

Hi there,

All the best wishes

Thanks. Yeah, I'm in the Northeast too so I was surprised to find a dentist (that I can actually walk to) for this. I've been putting it off far too long and since the tooth is infected, it'll be needed. They were one of the only places open for a while as well, but not seeing a lot of patients unless it was for emergency services or stuff that was on schedule such as dental implants

I had my first adult tooth/teeth extractions (other than wisdom teeth which I was put out for) in the past year and a half. I also got implants put in. It was a long process but it was worth it! I can’t answer your medical questions but I can say having my failed root canal tooth extracted took away a whole host of problems, some I didn’t realize where related until it was gone. I felt so much better! It was pricey for sure, but worth it. I don’t know what medications you would need, but I just got low level pain killers and only took them a few days, then just Tylenol. I can’t take ibuprofen due to a past stomach ulcer. I did get some antibiotics but that was it.

Good to hear that as well. Yeah, I need to be careful with what I take. I just don't like the long process idea but I do like the fact that I may be experiencing some symptoms from this infection in there.. and the tooth doesn't even hurt. I've had various strange things happen the past 5 years and things just progressed to worse this year after the fistula started to show up. Hoping for the best!

Good to hear that as well. Yeah, I need to be careful with what I take. I just don't like the long process idea but I do like the fact that I may be experiencing some symptoms from this infection in there.. and the tooth doesn't even hurt. I've had various strange things happen the past 5 years and things just progressed to worse this year after the fistula started to show up. Hoping for the best!
I understand. I had an undetected abscess that had been growing for about 2 plus years (according to the endodontist). It never hurt until it was huge and had tunneled backwards into my palate. It was my front tooth. I had chipped it as a kid, and apparently the tooth died really slowly over the years with no pain. I had a lot of sinus issues over the years and general fatigue. Over the past few years I had days here and there that I just didn’t feel good...no energy. After we discovered the abscess (the tooth never hurt but I started getting pain right under and along my nose), I had a root canal but it failed. I actually had seen an ENT multiple times as well, due to the pain in my nose and sinus. The endodontist said the root canal was good and kept putting me on antibiotics. The ENT told me the infection was still present and was irritating the nerve in my upper jaw. He recommended getting the tooth out and the oral surgeon agreed. I was absolutely amazed at how much better I felt about a week or two after the tooth was out. I had more energy, less sinus issues, and my immune system functioned better. Before, even a little cold would wipe me out.

Back