• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Having panic attacks over upcoming wisdom teeth extraction

B

Breathe_Deep23

I’m having my wisdom teeth extracted early Friday morning, and I’m having pretty severe panic attacks about that are affecting my sleep (I have been prone to anxiety and panic attacks since I was a kid). I’ve long had a pretty bad phobia about the dentist because of bad experiences as a kid. I have a small mouth and a sensitive gag reflex (I think this has become as much a psychological response as a physical one, to be honest). My problem is that I also have a fear of being sedated, which will be necessary for this procedure. I’ve never had it before, and I am very worried.

I have asked all the questions of the doctor and nurses that I can think of to try to calm myself. It’s IV sedation (“conscious” sedation or “twilight sleep”). The drugs they give are fentanyl, versed, and Propofol (as needed), as well as an anti-nausea medicine. The women in my family have reacted very poorly to Propofol (having a difficult time waking up and dealing with severe nausea), so I very much do not want this. I have also asked to be given the reversal drug flumazenil to counteract the versed.

My major fear is feeling and acting outside of my own control. I don’t like the vulnerability of being sedated and I don’t like the idea of anyone seeing me like that, and I was wondering if anyone with experience with these drugs or this kind of sedation could offer any insight (and comfort if possible). I don’t like the idea of being out of it all day for a basically 30-minute procedure, but I also know I’d be miserable during the procedure if awake (scared of the procedure, scared of the stuff that makes you not scared, *sigh*).

My procedure is at 7:45 a.m. (I specifically wanted to get it out of the way early so I wouldn’t dread it all morning/day). I have several (probably silly) questions:

1. How much do you wake up before they discharge you? Are you fairly normal? I would prefer to be at least back to acting relatively normal, if not feeling it, before I leave the doctor’s. Are they required to make sure you’re awake and pretty alert before they let you go?
  2. How long does the medicine take to wear off? I’m told these drugs are meant to be fairly short-acting, but a lot of people say they’re out of it for the day. I realize everyone reacts differently, but I’d rather not just be out for a whole day.
  3. I’m getting all four wisdom teeth taken out, and I’m guessing that means a good bit of Novocain. How long will that last? That’s such an annoying feeling, and I don’t want to feel like I can’t swallow or will gag.
  4. Will I act dumb? This is one my biggest fears. Most people I know in real life with experience say no, but those videos we’ve all seen have me worried. Are those people being primed to act that way, or am I doomed to make a fool of myself?
  5. One of my biggest concerns is nausea afterward (I’m somewhat emetophobic anyway, which plays a part in my gag response to stress, I think). They’re going to give me anti-nausea medicine in the IV, but what are the chances of having trouble with that. Nausea is no fun anyway, least of all with a freshly operated on mouth.

This are all the questions I can think of now. As you can see they’re all related to the sedation. I’m not looking forward to the procedure or recovery, either. But sedation just really stresses me out (ironically, as it’s meant to help anxiety), and I’ve never had it before.

Basically I want to bounce back to full consciousness and clearheadedness as quickly as possible and avoid nausea. Those are my main fears and concerns. Any advice on how to do this, or words of comfort from people who’ve had IV sedation before would be wonderful. I’m very panicked, and dreading the panic attacks is almost worse than dreading the procedure. Thanks in advance!

Hi Breath deep..

Well its been many years since i've been put out for dental I've been put out quite a few times with those drugs for other procedures. I am always frightened myself. being worried about saying or doing something dumb, or just many other factors I get nervous to the point of being sick about it. But everytime I've had these it has been fine.. One time I was a bit faint but I didn't faint.. They were all very short lasting and i was fine and going to the bakery within a short time .. of course with a driver :). I you tubed propofel and got myself scared but i trusted my Dr and everything really was ok. and I'm glad I had no idea what was going on. They did say I mentioned my favorite bakery before they did the procedure which was an upper endoscopy one time. but that was the extent. once they put the meds in your iv line you wake up and are good was my experience.. it wasn't wisdome teeth but it was those sedation drugs.

Hi Breath deep..

Well its been many years since i've been put out for dental I've been put out quite a few times with those drugs for other procedures. I am always frightened myself. being worried about saying or doing something dumb, or just many other factors I get nervous to the point of being sick about it. But everytime I've had these it has been fine.. One time I was a bit faint but I didn't faint.. They were all very short lasting and i was fine and going to the bakery within a short time .. of course with a driver :). I you tubed propofel and got myself scared but i trusted my Dr and everything really was ok. and I'm glad I had no idea what was going on. They did say I mentioned my favorite bakery before they did the procedure which was an upper endoscopy one time. but that was the extent. once they put the meds in your iv line you wake up and are good was my experience.. it wasn't wisdome teeth but it was those sedation drugs.

Thanks so much for replying. Would you mind giving me an idea of how long after the procedure you were able to go to the bakery and be out and about? A few hours?

When I had my endoscopy and colonoscopy done under these drugs.. i was out and literally wanted to stop at my fav bakery which was located close by. i had my boyfriend at the time driving and with me but I felt relaxed but alert and I actually had no pain of rememberence. it was within the 2 hour time frame I was out and about by possibly sooner. from the time they woke me up. i know that can vary but other times were even quicker

When I had my endoscopy and colonoscopy done under these drugs.. i was out and literally wanted to stop at my fav bakery which was located close by. i had my boyfriend at the time driving and with me but I felt relaxed but alert and I actually had no pain of rememberence. it was within the 2 hour time frame I was out and about by possibly sooner. from the time they woke me up. i know that can vary but other times were even quicker

Gotcha. I'm hoping that's how I react. Thanks so much for the responses. Makes me feel better. :)

I'm hoping and praying all will go well for you!! and you will have peace and health in this! It is scary to do but you're going to be good! :).

i asked for the lightest sedation possible for the same reason.I was awake almost as soon as they took the IV out before they moved me to recovery. I was 100% awake and annoyed i couldn't leave right away. I never had a whole lot of pain after other than muscular soreness.
However my wisdom teeth were fully errupted and in straight already...so that may have made it easier.
Pretty sure they won't let you leave until you are suffuciently awake anyway. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Update that I'll be adding to Success Stories thread. Had it done early this morning, it was a breeze. Seriously, I was terrified, but it was smooth as silk. I hope it's an omen for how the recovery will be. Nitrous oxide to calm me down (I actually had to ask them to turn this down and eventually off, because they were overdosing me and making me feel icky), but they were nice and told me how everything they did before they did it. Nurses talked to me as the gas took effect and as they put the IV in. Doctor came in and I talked to him for a second, where he said that he would do his best to abide by my wishes to keep the sedation as light as possible, and he promised to reverse it as I had hoped. I asked him if he foresaw fewer problems with the upper teeth since they were fully erupted, and he kindly and confidently said he didn't expect any problems with anything. He then said that the medicine he was going to give me acted very quickly, and I don't remember anything after that. I don't remember the sensation of the medicine going up my arm, no "here it comes" feeling, no dizziness or nausea. Just woke up with a ice pack wrapped around my head, they let me get my bearings and then got me to my mom's car. It was about a 35 minute drive back home and by the time we got there I was fully awake, and didn't need a nap or anything. They told me the entire procedure, once I was sedated, took only 15 minutes. Wasn't asleep long enough for it to linger, especially with the sedative reversal drug. I had no ill effects like nausea, and what discomfort I've had has been mild and easily controlled with the Ibuprofen they gave me. Have not needed the narcotic (*crosses fingers*, *knocks wood*). This literally could not have gone better and having it behind me when I've been putting it off for literally years and having panic attacks all week that disrupted my sleep and appetite... it feels so good. Thanks to everyone who commented on this thread with words of advice and support. It meant the world.

WOW!! So good to hear this!!! HOpe the healing goes smooth.. take it easy this weekend !!

Back