• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Having the front of a tooth filled...how will they keep my mouth open (please answer)?

Ihatedentistss

Ihatedentistss

Having the front of a tooth filled...how will they keep my mouth open (please answer)?

Hi guys,

I've got a lot going on right now and I have bad anxiety and I'm just going through the roof with emotions at the moment...the last thing I need is my stupid dentist visit Tuesday :helpme:

Anyways, I'm having two fillings done and one is on the face of one of my teeth and it just occurred to me not long ago...how the heck are they going to keep my mouth open for it? Am I supposed to smile wide or something....because I don't do smiling, especially not while feeling like this! Is someone going to hold my lip up lol or are they going to stick something in there to hold my top lip up while the dentist works? It all sounds terrible...just...no.

I'm just such an emotional wreck right now and can't believe no one thought to explain this to me. I feel sick just thinking about it. I hate not knowing what is going to happen.

anyone had a filling done on the front of a tooth before? I hope someone answers. And also calling the dentist to either cancel my appointment or ask what they will be doing isn't an option because they're not open until Tuesday which is the day of my appointment :( just...grrr. What a load of crock!!

I'm off to bed. Someone please be an angel and let me know what to expect!
:off-to-bed:

Re: Having the front of a tooth filled...how will they keep my mouth open (please answer)?

i had a bottom front tooth extracted a few weeks ago, my lip was numb and so the dental assistant held it back with a mirror and he just had me open wide and then he'd give me breaks to open and close.

it's not as scary as it is in our minds :) I've had 6 fillings this summer. Never had to use a bite block or anything. They'll tell you how far to open and then give you breaks to close your mouth

Re: Having the front of a tooth filled...how will they keep my mouth open (please answer)?

i had a bottom front tooth extracted a few weeks ago, my lip was numb and so the dental assistant held it back with a mirror and he just had me open wide and then he'd give me breaks to open and close.

it's not as scary as it is in our minds :) I've had 6 fillings this summer. Never had to use a bite block or anything. They'll tell you how far to open and then give you breaks to close your mouth

Thanks for responding, zombie. It's the front of a canine tooth so that's why I'm concerned since I won't just be able to hold my mouth open like usual I don't think. I'm so self conscious...if I could cancel I would. Maybe she'll hold my lip back with a mirror. I don't know :whirl: still spinning in circles, haha!

Back