• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

HELP! Anyone know a caring dentist/oral surg in east bay California? -TERRIFIED!!!!!!!! ):

valentine

valentine

HELP! Anyone know a caring dentist/oral surg in east bay California? -TERRIFIED!!!!!!!! ):

Im terrified of the dentist because of bad past experiences and now Im in constant pain with 5 horrible teeth (3 being badly cracked/chipped) and I feel like Im just screwed now. I have no dental insurance, some savings, but otherwise low funds. As pathetic as it sounds, I constantly am thinking of winning the lottery so I can pay someone to put me to sleep and have all my teeth fixed when I wake up.
Im to the point where my teeth hurt every single day. Every orning, first thing I wake up to is pain in my jaw. I don't know if I have an infection. Every time I feel sick, Im terrified I might have a deadly infection that has spread through my body because Ive read so many scary things about people dying from tooth infections. This is RUINING my life.
I have no idea what to do because even with this, Im so scared to go. If they could just look and do xrays and tell me what I need done - maybe. But they wont. They have to poke you and put ice on your teeth (ive called around) and theres no way Im letting anyone poke that sharp thing down into my painfull teeth. Im so scared all the time. I think about this all day because they hurt all day. Id pay extra money to be put to sleep, and have them all pulled, but then Id be missing 5 of my back teeth because I cant afford the bridges. I know Ill need to have them pulled or have root canals because they are so far gone. Id have heart faileure if I had to sit through 5 root canals. Im beyond terriefied to get one. This sucks so bad. I live in the east bay in California. does anyone know a dentist or oral surg who specializes in fearfull patients? PLEASE HELP:shame:

You can do it! As a phobic myself I can honestly tell you that being ashamed and afraid is probably why you're on here. I know I'm afraid and ashamed and I have found comfort but enough about me. You have already take more steps than me. By calling around and asking questions. I am working on some letters to different d- words asking them how they deal with phobics and what do they do to help them not be so afraid. I still need to send them but I know that you'll be able to get through this! You can survive this! I hope this helped.:cool:

Re: HELP! Anyone know a caring dentist/oral surg in east bay California? -TERRIFIED!!!!!!!! ):

Thank you for the support, I really appreciate it:)

Re: HELP! Anyone know a caring dentist/oral surg in east bay California? -TERRIFIED!!!!!!!! ):

Hi you could both try emailing a few dentists and explain how afraid and nervous you are. See what feedback you get and then decide if there is one you feel you could find the courage to go and see.
If you ask them to just have a look with the mirror and not to use the probe (the pointy tool) they will, they can also do the x rays and be able to tell you what treatment they advise that you need. You probably won't need 5 root canals. The trick to being able to go to the dentist is to find one that will listen and move at a pace that you feel you can cope with and not try to push you into doing more.

The way you feel at the moment is much worse than anything a dentist will do to you. If you don't feel comfortable with a dentist then leave and don't go back get another one. You are in charge and need to give them consent to be able to do any treatment. They advise you and ask you if you would like them to do the treatment you say yes or no. If you like they can start with the small stuff and work your way up when you feel comfortable and have a trusting relationship with them.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover: there is a find a dentist section on here, maybe there is one near you. The dentists recommended on here have been tried and tested by the people on here and are proven to be good and patient with nervous patients. :butterfly:

Back