• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

help!! Had a bad panic attack. Only went in 2 change address

  • Thread starter Thread starter lclark69
  • Start date Start date
L

lclark69

Junior member
Joined
Apr 2, 2008
Messages
19
hi all sorry to be going on again but i am in such a state. I am moving house tomorrow so while i was in town today i thought i would pop in2 dentist and change my address. It didnt go well i got into reception and had a major panic attack!!! What is wrong with me!! I got through my first ever check up a couple of weeks ago with the help of sedatives and gas i freaked out a bit when he used the hook but it was ok i have a 2 hour app on the 4th july for a lot of work and thought ide be ok till the week before or something not have a panic attack changeing my address. How am i going to get through this i have been really worried about this up coming app because i have never had any work done etc but i thought i was dealing with ok controling my breathing so whats going on please help!!!
 
One panic attack doesn't mean you are doomed. Maybe you were having an extra sensitive day or your body just was caught off gaurd and it produced panic symptoms. The very best thing you can do for yourself right now is to not dwell on it. There is no reason to expect another because it just might not happen. And you can tell yourself too that IF another happened it wouldn't hurt you and nothing really bad would happen. You would just get symptoms for a bit that are fight or flight and they would be unpleasant but it would pass and you would come out of it fine. IF another happened you can tell the dentist ok I am having osme panic here so can we just back off for a bit. If you get there and it seems like too much break up the appointment into smaller time frames. Get part of the work done to start if you feel 2 hours might be too much. It's what I do. I'll go in and tell him ok todau I this or that so can we just do A today. It takes more appointments but I know what I can tolerate and what I cannot. Be open and talk with them and you will feel loads better. I've had to have him stop for a bit because I was having heart palpitations. Make up a mantra in case you need it to say to yourself. Something totally true. Ex: "I am safe and this will be over soon and my teeth will be better" or just "I am ok" or If I get panic symptoms I know form past experience I will be fine". Do whatever works for you and what makes you feel calm. Distract your brain and think safe feelings and it will help some.
 
Try not to worry too much and think that you may have gone a couple of steps backwards after your last appointment. Sure, you may feel disappointed that you were as panicked as you were, but on the other hand, just bear in mind you went in simply for an administrative reason and so you didn't have your actual dentist there who would be able to put you at ease and with whom you would feel OK. This was just purely a visit to see the office staff/receptionist, for a specific purpose and therefore their manner would probably have been perhaps brusque and business like when you needed gentle handling with kid gloves.
Don't beat yourself up about it - your next appointment I am sure will go oh so smoothly.
 
Remember you'll be psyched up for it on the day as you've had time to get ready for it. I know by the time my big day came, I was more panicking something would happen to STOP it going ahead, I was so psyched up. And that's what your mind will do, automatically. But today you weren't psyched up, and that's all it was.[smiley=hugging.gif]
 
hi thanks every1. I think im so worked up at the moment with moving house hospital appointments to arrange major back surgery i have my mentaly disabled uncle coming to stay with in a couple of days and im organising a suprise party!! I just dont think ive had time to think about my up coming app so had not mentaly prepared myself and being very tired and worked up i guess its not a good combination. Im sure when things have settled down and i can chill out take my tablets again for a few days before and ill be fine i got through it once right. Thank again all.
 
Back
Top