• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

help, i need to see a dentist, young and scared

ok so I have been avoiding thinking about this for the last few weeks. I was ready to give up, all the fear was to hard and I hadn't even rung them yet.

today I have had a molar chip and it hurts a lot!! and the taste is horrible.

so I have rung and am going in on the 13th.

ahhhhh, I haven't been able to stop shaking and moving around all day.

Good luck at your appointment kt your molar can likely be repaired.

thanks for the support, if it wasn't for this site and forum I would even be thinking of this.

I had very little sleep last night, I couldn't stop thinking about it, it is going to be a long 10 days

thanks for the support, if it wasn't for this site and forum I would even be thinking of this.

I had very little sleep last night, I couldn't stop thinking about it, it is going to be a long 10 days

I know how you feel. I have to go Thursday and I've been losing sleep worrying about it too. The waiting and worrying is usually worse than the actual appointment.

anyone got some ideas on how I can help plan to not have anxiety issues at the dentist next week.

I have a issue with people invading my space, and especially in my mouth, and the sensory, feeling makes me really scared .

I wanting to know things I could do leading up and during the exam

when it gets that bad for me I ask them to prescribe valium. It's the only way I was able to sleep at night without sitting up crying and worrying about the appointment. I also took one an hour before my appointment but if you do that you need someone to drive you there and back.

You should give yourself a really good pat on the back for making the appointment. I would either email the dentist you will be seeing, or write him a short letter just to tell him your particular fears etc. this way he will know your anxieties
He may just chat to you, and take everything more slowly. We know we are all very anxious, but the dentist is not a mind reader. Hence if you forewarn him, he will treat you accordingly. The thought is always worse than the doing. However be kind to yourself, and take it a step at a time.

a little update,

one week to go before D-day, I had a rough night, damaged tooth is very sore and kept me awake.
every time it hurts, it reminds me of the dentist and the fear responds takes over!

I am so tired,

today was the day,

a full exam, xrays and consult.

I DID it !!! xrays were hard and I just about ran out of the room twice when the chair was being tipped back, but with friend support I did it,

I need to DEEP fillings and one shallow filling.

two weeks time im getting all that and a deep cleaning done under oral and inhalded sedation.

now the next wait begins.

Great job! This is awesome! I hope that you are proud of yourself, because you should be!

Did they do a cleaning too? Are your fillings next week? Like many have already said, the waiting is the hardest part. I found it extremely difficult to wait for the fillings appointment. I was really scared, especially of the shot. I can promise you that it won't be as scary as you think. We all know that you can do this!

If you want to talk privately, you can PM me or someone else on here. We are all in this together.

Great job! Keep up the good work!

ill be getting a cleaning and the fillings the next visit, never experienced either so any info would be good please.

I too am in your situation. I have written to one dentist, emailed another and got no replies! Even doing this took a lot of courage and then to receive nothing, it makes you feel worse. I do hope you have a positive visit and that you find help for your situation.

feeling quite good, I can say I am feeling proud how I did, and feel I can over come this, trying to decides what to do regarding sedation for the next appointment, for 3 fillings. I have been advised nitrous and halcion, oral sedation.

just wanted to update what im up to. my next appointment is in 10 days

Nice work!!! I've never had any type of sedation (though I've had tons of dental work, I'm even more afraid of being sedated than I am of dental work - control issues, anyone? :) ). What I can tell you from everything I've heard from other people is that everyone reacts differently to sedation. Some people find that it works very well and others don't seem to find it effective at all (and then there is everyone in between). For me, the worst part about a cleaning is that it takes about an hour and the noise of the instrument touching my teeth is a little unnerving. I would highly recommend bringing an MP3 player if you have one (iPod or music on a cell phone). You also may want to think about if you want the hygienist/dentist to tell you everything that they are doing or if you'd prefer to just be distracted. Same with seeing the dental instruments (do you prefer to see them or would you rather not). I think the clearer you can be about what is going to be most helpful for you, the easier it is for both you and the dentist. Best of luck to you!

one week to go and im feeling so scared, I am obsessing about everything to do with my mouth.

study isn't happening, I cant focus. I wish it would just go away!!

Nice work!!! I've never had any type of sedation (though I've had tons of dental work, I'm even more afraid of being sedated than I am of dental work - control issues, anyone? :) ).

I've never been sedated - my husband suggested that I do it but I'd rather be awake for what they're doing and if they have to ask me something I want to be able to answer it.

I have 2 wisdom teeth that need to be extracted (I was born with only my 2 upper wisdom teeth, so with no bottom wisdom teeth, the top ones are starting to come out). I hate...HATE...the sound of teeth breaking (I get why they do it that way though), so I'm thinking about being sedated about that. I think I might just freak the heck out if I hear that noise in my mouth. Hubby will just have to drive me back home afterwards. :innocent:

I have only got 1 wisdom tooth, sedation you can still answer and be roused to communicate with them,

it could be something to talk to your dentist about, I am getting oral sedation for deep fillings on my back molars, just in front of wisdoms. I struggle having things in my mouth, feeling like im suffocating, so that far back I chose to be really relaxed! :)

only one more day before I go a get the fillings done and im beside myself.
I don't think ill sleep tonight. oh any last minute advise on how I can get through this with out going insane with antispation anxiety

Bring in ipod if you are scared of the noises. Close your eye for the local. Take deep breaths, just know that it will be over soon.

i did it!!!!

yesterday was the day.

I took the tablet I needed to at 7 o'clock, an hour before my appointment. I remember going to the dentist, waiting for my named to be called and sitting in the chair, all without much worries, which is amazing for me, I struggled doing that only two weeks ago, these meds were amazing. then I don't remember anything until I was home last night in bed sleeping in off with slightly sore mouth.

I will fill in the details of what happened in the middle after I have seen the friend that took me and stayed with me.

highly recommend oral sedation,

ok, to fill in the details of my day at the dentist get three deep fillings, a deep cleaning and two shallow fillings.

I took a trazolam .25 mg at 7 and got driven to the appointment at 8:30. I had my close friend stay with me so most of this is what she has told me.

I got taken back to the dentist chair at about 8:40 and I took another tablet the same, dissolved under my tounge. I can remember nothing after this.

the dentist came in about 20 minutes later and I was very relaxed and out of it, I was fully responsive to what they were saying and answering questions honestly. when she went to give the local I reacted in fear (I remember that) they gave me another tablet and waited 10 minutes.

I got all work done and remember little bits and pieces but have no negative feelings towards it.

I was very calm and responded to every request and was very happy through out. when all was finished I was sat up more, and given a high sugar, sports type drink to help me come back to alertness.

I was then driven home where I rested, I wasn't aloud to go to sleep, but I remember very little afterwards for the rest of the day.

i had very little pain after wards and didn't need to take any pain meds.

if you have an questions about my experience please ask.

Back