• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Help please. Autistic child with dental phobia has mild tooth pain.

R

rosielx

My nine year old has autism and is dental phobic. For the last few days he has complained of a mild tooth pain when eating in a molar which has a filling in it. It's a tooth which falls out between 10 and 12 I think.

Our dentist is closed except for emergencies and I dont think this qualifies. His filling is still in I think. Mild pain on eating large lumps of food. Not continuous. Eats cold food and drinks without pain. Sleeps at night and bouncing about during the day.

I'm not sure what to do. He wont take any pain relief and wouldn't tolerate dental work which requires injections.

I'm wondering if this could be teething type pain. He's had the adult molars of this tooth come in on the other side where he had a few removed as a young child.

It's quite possibly pain due to eruption of the underlying adult teeth, eruption guides are just a guide, individual children can vary wildly from the official guides. The fact that the other side's teeth have come in would tend to reinforce that idea.

Given the present circumstances, I don't think there's much else you need to do just now but wait and see what happens.

Thank you. I think he has a wobbly tooth so fingers crossed. I'm very grateful for the reply :)

Back