• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Help please!!!!!! Part of tooth with temporary filling has broken off!

rocklover

rocklover

It is the molar part way through RCT, I thought it felt odd and rough, now the back inside part has broken off!

To make this even worse I have just arrived at my parents tonight to stay for the week, I have to call the out of hours dentist tomorrow morning at 9 to get an appt. I am totally terrified, does this mean i'll need the tooth out?

The dentist told me to eat normally on the tooth, but it must have been severely weakened by her drilling out all the decay.

What should I do tonight? I'm scared to clean it even, not sure I can cope with this!!! Is there any dental advice anyone can give me until I can get to a dentist? :cry:

It could just be the filling which has come out. I wouldn't rush into extraction without seeing your dentist first. The emergency dentist can maybe just patch it up. Bad luck for sure.

The out of hours dentist have said that as it isn't hurting I should be alright to leave it until my next appt, just not to eat on it an keep the area as clean as possible (with mouthwash) until next week.

However, I'm not sure whether I should make an appt with the dental drop in centre on Tuesday (took my daughter to see them last month and they were very helpful) to see if they think the filling will hold until next Tuesday.

This has happened to me before (I always seem to break the temporary fillings!). All that happens if you go back to see your dentist, is that they might add a bit of extra filling material to repair the hole in your filling. No local anaesthetic needed usually as it's a quick two minute, painless repair job until you have your appointment.

The drop in centre should hopefully be able to sort it out for you. Or you could ring your own dentist first thing Tuesday and get an emergency same day appointment. :)

Hey Rocklover,
As Corporal Jones in dad’s army used to say (if you are old enough to remember that!!!!) “Don’t panic don’t panic”. You are absolutely right, in that the tooth has broken as a result of it being weakened by having the centre drilled out. It is not uncommon for a bit to chip away in between treatments sessions.
You will only lose the tooth if it has split in half. If a corner has come of it can be repaired. If there is enough temporary filling left in the tooth so that the root canals are still covered then you do not need to see the dentist until your next appointment. If, however, you are not sure get the dentist to check on Tuesday. As Vicki said they will just top up the temporary a little in a quick and painless manner.
Hope this helps,
Lincoln

Hey Rocklover,
As Corporal Jones in dad’s army used to say (if you are old enough to remember that!!!!) “Don’t panic don’t panic”. You are absolutely right, in that the tooth has broken as a result of it being weakened by having the centre drilled out. It is not uncommon for a bit to chip away in between treatments sessions.
You will only lose the tooth if it has split in half. If a corner has come of it can be repaired. If there is enough temporary filling left in the tooth so that the root canals are still covered then you do not need to see the dentist until your next appointment. If, however, you are not sure get the dentist to check on Tuesday. As Vicki said they will just top up the temporary a little in a quick and painless manner.
Hope this helps,
Lincoln

All the temporary filling is still there thankfully, but as the back end of it is exposed I am just worried about it flipping out or eroding in that corner, hence going to the drop in centre so they can just check all is stable so that I can make it to the appt on the 7th of June without anything else going wrong.

Main problem is I can feel the broken edge of the tooth catching on my tongue when I chew or talk and although I am eating on the other side of my mouth (which has decided to play up, ALL my bottom teeth on that side hurt now, I am presuming it's stress) I am having to swill my mouth out with water after to get rid of food particles. Basically eating is not pleasant and I am eating only when I absolutely have to.

Anyway, thanks so much for all the helpful replies, just peed off that this had to happen the day I am 200 miles away from home for a week...talk about sod's law! :mad:

Went to a dentist today who attempted to patch up the gap my broken bit of tooth had left, but it now feels quite uncomfortable. In fact I went back 10 mins after she'd done it the first time as it felt horrid.

I now have temporary filling overlapping my gum line which feels like it could come off any time and the filling over the top of the previous filling is slightly too high for my bite. Kind of wish I hadn't had anything done now as she drilled away part of the previous temp dressing to put this filling over it. I really hope it lasts til next Tuesday, but it's not comfortable to eat really, although I am only using the other side.

The tooth has started twingeing again since I had extra temp filling put over the top and side of the tooth. Is this normal?

Back