• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Hey guys newbie here...I need to VENT

• Thread starter ijustwannasmile
  • Start date
I

ijustwannasmile

Hey guys like the subject says I'm a newbie to this site so hey lol. Any, who I'm here for the same reasons as most of you guys. I just needed somewhere I could vent where ppl understood where I'm coming from. I'm in the middle of getting dental work done and still at times my teeth just makes me feel defeated. A quick backstory...I've never had good teeth. Between my 2 siblings and me I have the worst teeth where they on the hand have great teeth. I noticed that my mother's side of the family doesn't have good teeth and neither did she so most likely it's hereditary.

Growing up I was one of those kids who you had to be strapped in the dentist chair, ask a million and one questions, and just scared of the dentist period. Toothaches for me were extremely painful to the point where I'd be balled up like a fetus ready to write my own eulogy lol dramatic right but it was that bad. Every time I would go to the dentist they'd just give me caps and by the time I'd get home they would be null and void and I'm back at square one. I've had caps, countless cavities, chipped teeth, abscesses, and everything else. Growing up my front teeth rotted bad and I had them filled in but those only last but so long especially when time is just flying by.

Every time I would go to the dentist I'd start getting procedures done but would never finish them and ultimately I ended up screwing my teeth over. By the age of 21 the dentist had told me that I needed to get dental surgery and that was just it for me and I never went back and by the time I was ready to go back I didn't have any insurance and that right there blows.

I recently got insurance thank God because I truly needed it. As soon as I got it I made my first appointment in years and although I was scared I was happy that I made it. I've been going to the dentist religiously and not missing any appointments. Now I'm happy to say that I've completed all the work for my bottom teeth and they weren't as bad as I thought. I ended up getting 6 fillings and 2 crowns and lord knows I've just been excited about that BUT...this is when I start to also feel defeated. Now I'm still getting work done but it's for my top teeth. I hate my top teeth. I have a cavity on one that's bad where it already started to chip badly, another front tooth has cracks where you can see where they did the filling but they look like 3 individual chips of teeth fused together, I have broken teeth in the back, and it just makes me feel so down. I can go about my day and be good and as soon as I look in the mirror at me teeth I just feel like the whole world sees what I see, bad looking teeth and that makes me feel worst.

My teeth are so bad that I have to get the tops removed and get dentures. At first I felt bad being a 28yo female with dentures but now I just can't wait to get them because I'm so ready to smile. Everyday I get up I check my teeth just to see what broke off today and today happens to be the day where more tooth chipped off! I swear it feels like every time I get closer it just takes me 3 steps back and then I'm back in the mirror all day looking at my tooth as if it could fix itself just by me looking at it. Please tell me I'm not the only one. I can't wait for this ride to be over! I JUST WANT TO SMILE!!

Sorry so long:)

Hey guys like the subject says I'm a newbie to this site so hey lol. Any, who I'm here for the same reasons as most of you guys. I just needed somewhere I could vent where ppl understood where I'm coming from. I'm in the middle of getting dental work done and still at times my teeth just makes me feel defeated. A quick backstory...I've never had good teeth. Between my 2 siblings and me I have the worst teeth where they on the hand have great teeth. I noticed that my mother's side of the family doesn't have good teeth and neither did she so most likely it's hereditary.

Growing up I was one of those kids who you had to be strapped in the dentist chair, ask a million and one questions, and just scared of the dentist period. Toothaches for me were extremely painful to the point where I'd be balled up like a fetus ready to write my own eulogy lol dramatic right but it was that bad. Every time I would go to the dentist they'd just give me caps and by the time I'd get home they would be null and void and I'm back at square one. I've had caps, countless cavities, chipped teeth, abscesses, and everything else. Growing up my front teeth rotted bad and I had them filled in but those only last but so long especially when time is just flying by.

Every time I would go to the dentist I'd start getting procedures done but would never finish them and ultimately I ended up screwing my teeth over. By the age of 21 the dentist had told me that I needed to get dental surgery and that was just it for me and I never went back and by the time I was ready to go back I didn't have any insurance and that right there blows.

I recently got insurance thank God because I truly needed it. As soon as I got it I made my first appointment in years and although I was scared I was happy that I made it. I've been going to the dentist religiously and not missing any appointments. Now I'm happy to say that I've completed all the work for my bottom teeth and they weren't as bad as I thought. I ended up getting 6 fillings and 2 crowns and lord knows I've just been excited about that BUT...this is when I start to also feel defeated. Now I'm still getting work done but it's for my top teeth. I hate my top teeth. I have a cavity on one that's bad where it already started to chip badly, another front tooth has cracks where you can see where they did the filling but they look like 3 individual chips of teeth fused together, I have broken teeth in the back, and it just makes me feel so down. I can go about my day and be good and as soon as I look in the mirror at me teeth I just feel like the whole world sees what I see, bad looking teeth and that makes me feel worst.

My teeth are so bad that I have to get the tops removed and get dentures. At first I felt bad being a 28yo female with dentures but now I just can't wait to get them because I'm so ready to smile. Everyday I get up I check my teeth just to see what broke off today and today happens to be the day where more tooth chipped off! I swear it feels like every time I get closer it just takes me 3 steps back and then I'm back in the mirror all day looking at my tooth as if it could fix itself just by me looking at it. Please tell me I'm not the only one. I can't wait for this ride to be over! I JUST WANT TO SMILE!!

there are a lot of people here that are younger that have gotten dentures(be it full or partials). I got my upper and lower partials at age 25 and i'm 26 now. Honestly I choose to not even were the things most of the time since i can't bear looking at the things. Locked away deep inside is a tale of a journey that's taking everything out of me and then some. I only do about 2, maybe 3, wear sessions a week and the dentist would SO mad if 'he'd find out but i don't care!

I was trained with restraint technique but dropped that technique many many years ago.

there are a lot of people here that are younger that have gotten dentures(be it full or partials). I got my upper and lower partials at age 25 and i'm 26 now. Honestly I choose to not even were the things most of the time since i can't bear looking at the things. Locked away deep inside is a tale of a journey that's taking everything out of me and then some. I only do about 2, maybe 3, wear sessions a week and the dentist would SO mad if 'he'd find out but i don't care!

Thanks it feels good to know that I'm not the only one going through it. How was the procedure for you? I'm good now when it comes to fillings and crowns but the teeth pulling part scares me a bit and I don't want to walk around with nothing in my mouth. How long did it take you to get the dentures? Why don't you like your dentures? Sorry if I'm asking too many questions?

I was trained with restraint technique but dropped that technique many many years ago.

If they didn't put the restraints on me I think I wouldn't have gotten any work done when I was a kid. I'd probably talk my way out of not getting anything done lol

Thanks it feels good to know that I'm not the only one going through it. How was the procedure for you? I'm good now when it comes to fillings and crowns but the teeth pulling part scares me a bit and I don't want to walk around with nothing in my mouth. How long did it take you to get the dentures? Why don't you like your dentures? Sorry if I'm asking too many questions?

The procedure went ok, healing was fine also. Eating with them is a hit or miss. Things like sweet and sour chicken and sonic burgers i can eat. Stuff like ramen noodles? nope. And tried sushi and the crab meat stuff that was wrapped around it kept getting caught in one of the the front wire.

as far as why i hate them? Well, if you read my journal, you'll see that i went to the first visit under my own will power but as far as the rest of the journey, i was forced through it instead of going to talk to one of those "we cater to coward" places. Still regret the choices i made.

When I look in the mirror with my partials in(page 8), i can't think of anything but the journey i was forced into, the countless visits for adjustments, or how i have chewing problems with the stupid things in. I got the things in may yet it's taking me until recently to even start to be able to chew through a lot of things. Even then i prefer going w/o since... well, to be blunt; the excess chewing i'm having to do with the things in keeps resulting in major gas afterwards on top of sore jaws. If I wanted sore jaws and major gas, i'll go chew on a frozen block of cheese, not eat with partials in!

35 yr old man - going for a fully upper - if I can get up the courage to make the call. :(

The procedure went ok, healing was fine also. Eating with them is a hit or miss. Things like sweet and sour chicken and sonic burgers i can eat. Stuff like ramen noodles? nope. And tried sushi and the crab meat stuff that was wrapped around it kept getting caught in one of the the front wire.

as far as why i hate them? Well, if you read my journal, you'll see that i went to the first visit under my own will power but as far as the rest of the journey, i was forced through it instead of going to talk to one of those "we cater to coward" places. Still regret the choices i made.

When I look in the mirror with my partials in(page 8), i can't think of anything but the journey i was forced into, the countless visits for adjustments, or how i have chewing problems with the stupid things in. I got the things in may yet it's taking me until recently to even start to be able to chew through a lot of things. Even then i prefer going w/o since... well, to be blunt; the excess chewing i'm having to do with the things in keeps resulting in major gas afterwards on top of sore jaws. If I wanted sore jaws and major gas, i'll go chew on a frozen block of cheese, not eat with partials in!

Glad your procedure went by ok that's another reason why I'm a lil scared. I can understand why you don't like yours though something serious like that shouldn't be forced. It should've been on your own terms. I did read a few things online that said you have to keep at it to get use to eating with them and having them period. Hopefully one day you'll be able to put them in without reflecting on what happened and be happy with them and love your smile. Lol now that frozen block of cheese was too funny. I didn't know that they could make you gassy.

I'm scared of the teeth pulling part I've read so many horror stories. I'm hoping they can knock me out and do what they have to do without me feeling it.

35 yr old man - going for a fully upper - if I can get up the courage to make the call. :(

Make the call in the end it'll be worth it. No more toothaches and a pretty smile. Just think about all the tooth problems that your having now and what it would be like to not have those problems. That's what I do and it works for the most part but you have to want it. Trust me I've been scared of the dentist since I was a child up until last summer. I just chalked it up and put my big girl pants on and said I was through with feeling down about my teeth and now I don't miss an appointment or bring my grandmother with me lol.

Make the call in the end it'll be worth it. No more toothaches and a pretty smile. Just think about all the tooth problems that your having now and what it would be like to not have those problems. That's what I do and it works for the most part but you have to want it. Trust me I've been scared of the dentist since I was a child up until last summer. I just chalked it up and put my big girl pants on and said I was through with feeling down about my teeth and now I don't miss an appointment or bring my grandmother with me lol.

I do want it - I know my teeth look bad. Ok, really bad. I guess I rationalize and think I don't care what people think of me, but I do.

I am being pushed though - my sister and my wife are sort of ganging up on me. Well, maybe that's not fair - they are trying to help and I do need a push to every once in awhile to keep going.

I do want it - I know my teeth look bad. Ok, really bad. I guess I rationalize and think I don't care what people think of me, but I do.

I am being pushed though - my sister and my wife are sort of ganging up on me. Well, maybe that's not fair - they are trying to help and I do need a push to every once in awhile to keep going.

You might want to dig in your heals and make sure your not being pushed faster then you are ready to proceed.

I understand some ppl don't realize that teeth are a sensitive subject for some ppl especially when theirs are good. They don't realize that instead of pushing you to go through with it that they're actually making you want to run away from the idea. Let them know that you hear them loud and clear and it's something you think about often but it should be when you are ready to go through with it. They think going to the dentist is simple but it's not for some ppl. Hopefully they will understand how you feel and leave the subject alone and let you be the one to bring it up and do something about it.

You might want to dig in your heals and make sure your not being pushed faster then you are ready to proceed.

I've started reading your journal I can see why you feel the way you do about it. They didn't have to push you that hard like that at all.

I've started reading your journal I can see why you feel the way you do about it. They didn't have to push you that hard like that at all.

Still haven't forgiven them for that. Been debating about going back to living the life of a dental phob where at least i was happy!

orginally was supposed to go in for that six month thing on the 10th last month. i cut up the card and flushed it so mom couldn't find it. Well, i guess the people at the office gave the wrong date since we got a reminder card in on CHRISTMAS EVE that i had an APPT on dec 29th! Hid the card but my uncle started to blab about it but i cut him off mid sentence.. Wound up telling mom since the stress was getting to me and called in to do a price check since money is tight at the moment.

just for a stinking cleaning is 93 clams and the cleaning/exam/xray route is 183! I should of asked if there's any discounts i can get since they know i had 14 extractions done. that price shouldn't be that high!

haven't updated my journal in a week but if i get around to it, the next entry should be something like "wore my partials yesterday so mom wouldn't start getting on my case, had been a week since i wore them. Not sure about the 6 month thing i should do when we get the money but what i can say at the moment is that i just dont care anymore"

Still haven't forgiven them for that. Been debating about going back to living the life of a dental phob where at least i was happy!

orginally was supposed to go in for that six month thing on the 10th last month. i cut up the card and flushed it so mom couldn't find it. Well, i guess the people at the office gave the wrong date since we got a reminder card in on CHRISTMAS EVE that i had an APPT on dec 29th! Hid the card but my uncle started to blab about it but i cut him off mid sentence.. Wound up telling mom since the stress was getting to me and called in to do a price check since money is tight at the moment.

just for a stinking cleaning is 93 clams and the cleaning/exam/xray route is 183! I should of asked if there's any discounts i can get since they know i had 14 extractions done. that price shouldn't be that high!

haven't updated my journal in a week but if i get around to it, the next entry should be something like "wore my partials yesterday so mom wouldn't start getting on my case, had been a week since i wore them. Not sure about the 6 month thing i should do when we get the money but what i can say at the moment is that i just dont care anymore"

You can't go back to being a dental phob I mean you can but you've already embarked on your dental journey and overcame some thing's even though the way your family pushed you was wrong. Don't let your family or even your teeth steal too much of your joy. You're gonna feel some type of way but don't let it beat you down. Sometimes you just have to let ppl know how you feel and family is no exception because they can run over you too sometimes. You're an adult and should be treated in such manner and do things on your own terms.

If you're not up to going to get them cleaned then don't but don't wait too long either because that'll be another thing to worry about. And if you don't have the money then go when you are able to go you've already accomplished a lot by even getting any procedures done so be happy that you've already made big strides in your dental health.

Hopefully you'll eventually start wearing your partials and get use to having them in.

You can't go back to being a dental phob I mean you can but you've already embarked on your dental journey and overcame some thing's even though the way your family pushed you was wrong. Don't let your family or even your teeth steal too much of your joy. You're gonna feel some type of way but don't let it beat you down. Sometimes you just have to let ppl know how you feel and family is no exception because they can run over you too sometimes. You're an adult and should be treated in such manner and do things on your own terms.

If you're not up to going to get them cleaned then don't but don't wait too long either because that'll be another thing to worry about. And if you don't have the money then go when you are able to go you've already accomplished a lot by even getting any procedures done so be happy that you've already made big strides in your dental health.

Hopefully you'll eventually start wearing your partials and get use to having them in.

How am I supposed to be happy when I hate my mouth with partials in and miss my old smile??? If I had the money to do so, I'd be finding a denurist willing to do it and bringing in an image of my old mouth so I could get partials with teeth that look more like they belong on ME.

How am I supposed to be happy when I hate my mouth with partials in and miss my old smile??? If I had the money to do so, I'd be finding a denurist willing to do it and bringing in an image of my old mouth so I could get partials with teeth that look more like they belong on ME.

I have no clue hopefully you'll get over the whole experience one day and be at peace with it..I didn't get to that stage yet to know what I'll look like when I get my top dentures so maybe once that gets done I can share the experience and hopefully be happy with mines.

Back