• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Hey guys would really appreciate feed back on something!!

E

Evanblgbt

About 4 days ago I got a molar removed and I went back too my dentist yesterday to see how the recovery is going. Today I ate some builtong (beef jerky) and I think I got a bit of it stuck in the extraction site. I am extremely worried that something is going to go wrong

About 4 days ago I got a molar removed and I went back too my dentist yesterday to see how the recovery is going. Today I ate some builtong (beef jerky) and I think I got a bit of it stuck in the extraction site. I am extremely worried that something is going to go wrong

Try to avoid anything difficult to chew, crunchy, crispy, etc for at least 10 days to allow for proper healing.

In the mean time, can you see anything stuck in the extraction site? One trick that I use is to get a make-up compact mirror and use that to look in my mouth. If so, use salt water to rinse it out. If it doesn't come out, you can use tweezers or your fingers to gently pull it out - do not actually touch the extraction site (and I would follow up with a salt water rinse to clean things up).

If you can't see anything stuck in there, it spot just might have been bumped or irritated from chewing or a piece of the jerky hitting it. Salt water does a really good job of cleaning out the area and helping to calm down irritation. I've been using salt water after every time I eat and every 2-3 hours in between eating to help my 2 extraction sites heal up.

I wouldn't advise you to be prodding or poking the extraction site with your finger or tweezers. If you rinse after eating this should keep things clean and food free around the extraction site. You could contact your dentist or a chemist and see if you can get an syringe, this is a safe way to keep the site clean if something has become stuck.

If you are still worried then do contact your dentist and let them advise you. :butterfly:

It's so tough to give advice here because we all heal differently.. I had 2 back lower molars out 5 days ago and I am able to rinse with salt water hard enough (but not too hard) to get pretty much any food remains out of the extraction site. Last night I had a piece of pasta that would not budge in one of them so I wet a q-tip and just eased it out. But you should be EXTREMLY careful not to disturb the clot. I'd stay away from beef jerky though, or anything chewy or crispy for that matter for at least a good week. I am quite tired of pasta and potatoes too lol, but you don't want to get anything lodged in there and prevent healing properly.

I wouldn't advise you to be prodding or poking the extraction site with your finger or tweezers.

I only shared this if they can easily see the object and get to it without touching the extraction site itself. No point in sitting there in pain if you can see what is causing the issue.

Back