Enarete
Super Moderator
Staff member
- Joined
- Sep 18, 2017
- Messages
- 3,512
- Location
- Germany
I always thought being a nervous patient myself and being interested in "reading people" would give me the possibility to 100% recognize if someone is nervous or not before or during a dental treatment. I particularly thought I would be able to see the fear even in people who don't feel comfortable showing it or tend to freeze (@krlovesherkids777, thank you for your recent voting poll about trauma response
.
Well, guess what. I have been working in a dental practice for months now, my main job is to support new patients during their first appointment and I had found myself in several situations of finding out that someone was nervous after a while.. and I had no idea before! People who admit it and feel ok talking about it or who show obvious signs of distress are fine, but I so much struggle with those who appear really calm and compliant while probably freaking out inside. The fact that everyone is different and some things that indicate stress in some people indicate calmness in others doesn't help.
So my question for you is this: if you were about to give your dentist a manual about how to reliably recognize you are stressed, what would it be? How can your dentist see that you are nervous? What is different compared to how you behave when feeling ok? How does it feel different for you?
Any feedback about this is hugely appreciated..
.Well, guess what. I have been working in a dental practice for months now, my main job is to support new patients during their first appointment and I had found myself in several situations of finding out that someone was nervous after a while.. and I had no idea before! People who admit it and feel ok talking about it or who show obvious signs of distress are fine, but I so much struggle with those who appear really calm and compliant while probably freaking out inside. The fact that everyone is different and some things that indicate stress in some people indicate calmness in others doesn't help.
So my question for you is this: if you were about to give your dentist a manual about how to reliably recognize you are stressed, what would it be? How can your dentist see that you are nervous? What is different compared to how you behave when feeling ok? How does it feel different for you?
Any feedback about this is hugely appreciated..
She’ll say things sometimes like “you’re going to feel some pressure, don’t be scared” or “lots of water now, don’t be frightened” and those little reassurances work really well for me especially if I’m feeling jumpy or uneasy.
). From a perspective of the dental team, I’d be worried about making the wrong assumption about somebody who is not forthcoming about it but I also wouldn’t want to ignore the signs. It’s a tricky position. When my dentist asked me directly, she actually described what I was doing (behavior) as an intro to the question which made the question a little more objective. That might be why I was able to say I was scared because there was no getting around it...I was found out. I was shaking all over and my lips were actually trembling and she said very calmly and matter of factly, “I see that your lips are fluttering quite a bit; are you nervous?”. That’s very different from asking “why are you shaking?” Which I probably wouldn’t have answered or just said “I don’t know!” To avoid answering. Just having to reply with a “yes” or a head nod made it easier.
. That one is a bit more ambiguous though because it depends on the day and the procedure. My anxiety can range the full spectrum and it can be a little unpredictable which makes it hard to gauge. One interesting thing is as I began to trust my dentist, my anxiety actually seemed to get much worse initially which was a very confusing and frustrating time but looking back on it, I think I was just letting my guard down and not trying to hide it as much because I felt like I safely could just be openly fearful without ridicule or judgment.