jeanc200358 said:
What I am saying is it's presumptuous to think it's "okay" to call a doctor by his/her first name until or unless they give you the go-ahead to do otherwise.
Yes, it probably would be a bit presumptious but as I said, I am not actually doing that ....I repeat I never have to call them anything. You can greet someone without using their name or title. You can thank someone without using their name or title.
However when dentists have chatty 'first name' informal websites, their staff all refer to 'your appt with Chris next week', when they introduce themselves with their full name but no title.....sign off their e-mails with no title, I think you are probably on safe ground to be a bit presumptuous, if you are the kind of person who likes to throw names about in conversation.
Saying Dr at the end of every sentence would be like 'forelock tugging' or 'doffing your cap' and implying you are somehow an *inferior human being when in fact you are the 'paying customer'- so they should ideally go along with what you the patient/customer is comfortable with - especially for phobic patients.
As well as being an 'age' thing - I think some cultural differences are coming into play here. My sister briefly had an American boyfriend in England, who insisted on calling my father 'Sir' and my Mum 'Maam' as in 'Yes Maam' at the end of every sentence. My parents thought this was quaint to say the least and quickly persuaded him to desist. *
The other cultural difference is that traditionally dentists in the UK have not had the title
Dr. As Dental
Surgeons , they have been Mr/Mrs/Miss xxxx BDS or whatever. *We don't even really think of them as 'doctors' they are kind of a breed apart.
Do people in England walk up to the Queen and say, "Hey, Liz! Wassssssssuuuupp, my main Majesty?"
In general no, but probably only because she might have them thrown in the Tower of London if they did!!! *

. Please don't get me started on people who are
born to their lofty positions....
All the best
Brit