• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

how long should an extraction site be sore

If you had a dry socket you would defanatly know because the pain is allmost unbearable:o
and it is normal for the extraction sit to be sore.I had 14 teeth extracted and I was sore about a week...I am no dentist but I have experienced dry socket 2 times...
congradulations on getting so far.:XXLhug:

If you had a dry socket you would defanatly know because the pain is allmost unbearable:o
and it is normal for the extraction sit to be sore.I had 14 teeth extracted and I was sore about a week...I am no dentist but I have experienced dry socket 2 times...
congradulations on getting so far.:XXLhug:

Thank you for answering....all I keep reading is that after 48 hours you should feel better....I guess when you don't, panic sets in.
I also thought I read that dry socket doesn't occur in upper extractions so hopefully this is just normal extraction discomfort

I've actually never seen a dry socket occur in an upper tooth in my lifetime. Soreness after dental extractions can vary quite a bit from nothing to a couple weeks. Everyone and every tooth is different it seems.

The gum is not sensitive to hot or cold....the jaw where the tooth was extracted is really sore. It seems swollen, I can feel it up to my left eye. I just had this tooth extracted on Monday...it is Thursday. Shouldn't it be feeling better by now. oh, and the back of my neck is sore.
Could I have an infection?

Re: What is going on....I am very nervous

Dr Mike I need you again

Before I had my four front extracted....I had a tooth 2 teeth away that I had trouble with prior. I ate a nut and the tooth broke, when I went to see the dentist he said he could fill it but did not know how long it would last. Just before my front teeth were extracted I found this tooth loose and troublesome....so much so that I was going to have him pull it at the same time. Unfortunately I didn't, because it got worse after the extractions. I just had that pesty tooth pulled on Monday. It is now Thursday and that extraction site is really bothersome. The tooth next to it seems a liittle loose. But it didn't bother me before the extraction. As soon as he pulled the tooth I felt this tooth. I thought it was because of the swelling that started immediately or because this tooth has never been exposed on that side before. Should I be concerned about this new loose tooth. I am freaking out now....I feel like I am playing dominoes.
Oh the swelling on the side of the extraction site is burning. Is that noraml as well?

I called my dentist tonight and he said I had a low grade infection which was causing the burning and swelling. My major concern if for the tooth next to the site....if it is a tiny bit loose and feels funny, does it need to be extracted or is this because of the infection?
Is an infection dry socket? Since my face is swollen, I am thinking dry socket. Does the procedure to help cause discomfort?

Last edited:
As ZZZZZ has said everyone is different and has different reactions to treatment. It's not unusual to be feeling sore still at this stage though some people (myself included when I had teeth extracted) don't experience soreness for any length of time. In fact I was lucky, started taking painkillers before the numbness wore off and can honestly say never experienced any soreness at all. I suppose your dentist could have been a little 'rough' when pulling the tooth and you are still a little bruised. I'm sure it will get better very soon but obviously if you do have any concerns, you should get back to the dentist.

Yeah, if it's the pain is persisting and that sore around your eye, definitely contact the dentist to see whether they'd like to get you in to check it out. It should normally be starting to settle down by now I would think. Sometimes there can be persisting infections due to a lingering abscess, remaining root fragment, etc.

Did one of the 4 front teeth extracted include a canine tooth? Those usually are quite long, and if there's an abscess or infection associated with the socket there, it can make it sore around the eye. If it's not getting better, the dentist might prescribe an antibiotic to help things along or need to re-examine the area.

Sorry for my previous very short, curt reply... it's quite late, and I'm trrrrying to reply when I can so sometimes I'm tired and not capable of giving very detailed, complete, nor helpful information!

I took your advice and went to the dentist....thank you. He looked at the extraction site of the premolar and said their wasn't an infection. Although he did not look up towards the top of the jawline, I am going to assume that if an infection was present he would see it at the site. The soreness and burning seem to be better today, although there is still swelling and throbbing up at the top of the jaw line,which is not good for the sinus pressure. I also noticed a black spot and a little looseness on the next premolar. The lloosenss was not there before the extraction. The cavity that was not seen because it was in between teeth. Should I be concerned that this cavity or looseness might be causing this discomfort. The oral surgeon didn't say anything about it..... it is ugly, not deep. I am sure if this tooth needed to be extracted as well, that would have shown up on the xray. Right?

Last edited:
They most likely would have mentioned something about the remaining premolar, and it would likely have been taken out at the same time if it needed it so it probably looks and feels worse than it is. Your dentist should be able to tell you better about it as some stains can look bad, but they are just stains rather than cavities.

Sometimes with a tooth removed right next to another, that can make the adjacent tooth a little loose due to the pressure in the area from the extraction, possibly some bone loss from the extraction itself, and the fact the neighbouring tooth is not there anymore to brace the other one.

It's good that you had it checked out to make sure the pain after two weeks isn't an infection. Did the dentist explain why the area is still really sore?

Re: What is going on....I am very nervous

Should I be concerned about this new loose tooth.
Hard to tell- certainly get it looked at by the dentist- they will be able to tell you what is going on.

Oh the swelling on the side of the extraction site is burning. Is that noraml as well?
As your dentist has said, it sounds like there may be a dry socket. Again- worth getting it looked at.

My major concern if for the tooth next to the site....if it is a tiny bit loose and feels funny, does it need to be extracted or is this because of the infection?
Once again, hard to say from your description. May just be that things need to settle after the extractions and the infection could be compounding things.

Is an infection dry socket? Since my face is swollen, I am thinking dry socket.
Yes - that will be what was meant.

Does the procedure to help cause discomfort?
The socket will likely be rinsed out with some mouthwash using a syringe. It can sometimes feel a little uncomfortable briefly, however you will get some immediate relieve afterwards.

Hope this answers most of your questions! Let me know if not!

Dr Mike

Did the dentist explain why the area is still really sore?

No he didn't. All he said was that it was healing good. When I asked him about the soreness in the jaw, it just said it should subside in a few days. Well, this morning I woke up and it felt like someone punched me in the lower cheek, felt funny up to my eyes and around my nose. It seems to be the sinus. Eveytime I bend down and get up I feel throbbing. I wouldn't think dry socket would feel like that. I saw the doctor on the fourth day after extraction. Can you get dry socket on the fifth day, even if things looked good on the fourth?
A sinus infection could explain the jaw soreness as well as the teeth soreness. Oh, I should add that I am a smoker not a good thing when you take out a premolar below the sinus. So I started taking a clindamycin again. Hope it works, I can't tolerate the throbbing

Last edited:
That does sound very strange. I wouldn't think a dry socket would appear just like that, but it does sound like there could be some sort of persisting infection in the area. Did the dentist mention anything about the proximity of the sinus floor when they removed the tooth? You haven't noticed any air transmission between your mouth and your sinuses, have you?

One other possibility might be that it isn't the extraction socket causing the problem, but possibly one of the remaining teeth. In any case, hopefully the antibiotics will help clear things up. Be sure to let the dentist know about your continuing problems as they might not be aware of the pain you're going through.

That does sound very strange. I wouldn't think a dry socket would appear just like that, but it does sound like there could be some sort of persisting infection in the area. Did the dentist mention anything about the proximity of the sinus floor when they removed the tooth? You haven't noticed any air transmission between your mouth and your sinuses, have you?

One other possibility might be that it isn't the extraction socket causing the problem, but possibly one of the remaining teeth. In any case, hopefully the antibiotics will help clear things up. Be sure to let the dentist know about your continuing problems as they might not be aware of the pain you're going through.

i went back to the dentist on Monday. he still said it was healing and that healing takes a while.He didn't see any infection or abcess.
I then went to my primary care doctor, he put me on an antibiotitic for a sinus infection. He also felt that I was dealing with a migraine headache. I am feeling like crap. Nobody said anything about the sinus floor. All I have noticed is that side of face seems swollen and that side of the nose if stuffed. Is a sunken sinus floor a sinus infection?
Besides that, the extraction site itself feels good. It is just the area of gum between the extraction site and the next tooth. That seems really tender to the touch. This is the same location that when he pulled the tooth, felt like something dropped there and was burning a few days later. Now it is tender. It has been 1 week and 2 days with this, hoping it gets better soon.

Last edited:
Loose filling/loose tooth?

I have had a loose filling in my mouth for sometime. The dentist already noticed it. This morning I woke up and the tooth is loose, or maybe the filling since the tooth is basically filled. Did I wait too long to fix this....do I need it extracted now? Can A loose filling be replaced?

Last edited:
Re: Loose filling/loose tooth?

Best to have it checked out again as it's probably not possible to tell without actually seeing the tooth and the xray. If it's not hurting and if it's not the actual tooth itself that is loose then those might be good signs.

Last edited:

Well I lost the tooth on Monday :(. The tooth was just too loose. It was a bottom premolar. On Thursday on went back to "finally' have my front dentures adjusted, I had the dentist look at the extraction site of this premolar to check that it was healing and I didn't have dry socket. I am tired of going to the dentist. He said it was fine. Am I safe from the dreaded dry socket? I tried to read about it on the forum but am confused between 48 hours and 5 to 7 days. My jaw is so sore :( and it looks like some of the clot is disappearing. I'm just concerned because this is a bottom extraction.

Last edited:

In my experience, I find that most dry sockets seem to arise closer to the 4-7 day mark so you still are in the range. If the pain is manageable with painkillers and doesn't seem to be getting worse or if there is no radiating severe pain in the jaw accompanied by a foul taste/odour then most likely there isn't a dry socket.

Sometimes pain is just due to the extraction itself and not due to a dry socket. Any pain that is intensifying over time and not improving is something for the dentist to check out.

Back