• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How should I be cleaning my teeth with Severe Gum disease

S

ScaredJo

I went to the dentist today and he confirmed I have severe periodontal disease. When I asked about cleaning he said he would be doing it when he does fillins etc. I am currently brushing with an electric toothbrush, just started using floss (it makes me nervous), use interdental brushes after eating, use listerine after brushing and use corsodyl (different time of day) twice a day. My dentist says this is fine but I am using an electric toothbrush. Should I be brushing the gum at the top of the tooth or will this make the receding worse?

Hi Joe,
You should be brushing at the junction of the tooth and the gum (aka the gingival margin). As long as you do not apply too much pressure, this will not induce further recession. If you have not been to the dentist in a awhile, then the periodontal disease treatment can naturally cause some recession (but this is part and parcel of the normal healing process).
As for how long to brush?? Brush until all the plaque if removed (this normally takes 2-3 minutes).
Hope that helps.

Back