• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How will COVID19 effect treating dentally fearful patients?

I am very worried. Both for my dentist lost
Income. But also for my anxiety. My kids and I were due for regular checkups and cleanings. But of course they have all been cancelled. For me this is bad. If I miss one appointment it’s that much harder to go to
The next and that much easier to skip. I will force myself and my kids to go but I know my fears and anxieties will be much greater because of the missed appointments

I am too very mindful about all the nervous patients who will have a hard time getting back on track after an interruption in regular care and really hope most of the dentists will be able to reach out to their patients and schedule new appointments. And I am also worried about the dentists' mental health (mental health of dental staff in general) after the crisis is over. Dentistry has always been a challenging profession with high rates of mental problems, even without any viruses.
On the other hand I believe that we live in a friendly universe and that any challenge can be overcome over time and that at the end all will be well somehow. It is impressive to see how people do their best to deal with it and try to stay kind and social so that's the image I keep with myself those days.

It would be a headache for the dentist staff who have to sort out the schedules of who need to be seen first

I will go to the dentist when I can (as my appointment at the end of the month will be cancelled) my mum had her text to say her appointment is cancelled she was due to have a tooth out (as it was cracked and can't be fixed)

I am dreading going back to the dentist (I was due to this month) I read somewhere that cavities take a while to form before these become a big problem. I am hoping my appointment is before June this year.

My mouth needs a good cleaning by my dentist, I don't enjoy the cleanings

I have checkups every three months, the last dentist I had at the practice I go to I saw every 6 months, my current dentist does three months so I can keep on top of my oral hygeine, it just because I got a overcrowding problems, and struggle to keep my teeth clean

I do fear that some people won't be afford private work (or in the United Kingdom those who are lucky enough to see a NHS dentist) not sure about other countries, some people may want a discount for delays

I am dreading going back to the dentist (I was due to this month) I read somewhere that cavities take a while to form before these become a big problem. I am hoping my appointment is before June this year.

My mouth needs a good cleaning by my dentist, I don't enjoy the cleanings

I have checkups every three months, the last dentist I had at the practice I go to I saw every 6 months, my current dentist does three months so I can keep on top of my oral hygeine, it just because I got a overcrowding problems, and struggle to keep my teeth clean

I do fear that some people won't be afford private work (or in the United Kingdom those who are lucky enough to see a NHS dentist) not sure about other countries, some people may want a discount for delays

I am terrified to go in when my appointment gets rescheduled. I felt such relief when my crown prep got canceled, and it wasn’t my control. I am not looking forward to it getting rescheduled, even though I know the longer I wait, the higher the chance that it will end up extracted instead.

I am terrified to go in when my appointment gets rescheduled. I felt such relief when my crown prep got canceled, and it wasn’t my control. I am not looking forward to it getting rescheduled, even though I know the longer I wait, the higher the chance that it will end up extracted instead.

MountainMama,
May I ask what worries you about the crown prep? If it helps, I found my crown prep after my root canal to be relatively easy compared to most procedures that I have had. The procedure took a long time but I didn’t find it to be particularly stressful.

Even though I go regularly I will dread going back, even if it a few weeks longer to wait.

I noticed because there is a crisis,. i find more what I think it wrong with my teeth, which has been there for years. and my dentist has not mention any treatment on these teeth.

There will be worst people off than myself, those who have broken their tooth/teeth, lost a tooth/teeth

I am just scared my dentist will pull all my teeth out because I missed one cleaning.

I'm starting to see patients on Monday with all my new PPE and high volume extraction vacuums. Unfortunately this means more noise and less a personal touch. I am deferring seeing patients with autism for some weeks as I learn how best to introduce this to "normal" patients, then apprehensive patients, then patients with Down's syndrome and finally autistic patients.

On the side I've been in a large group chat for awhile with many dentists. I have never heard of dentists being so afraid for themselves. I have a friend who is very brave in general far more than most anyone else and he is scared as he has known dentists who have died. He in his young 50's is seriously considering quieting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm starting to see patients on Monday with all my new PPE and high volume extraction vacuums. Unfortunately this means more noise and less a personal touch. I am deferring seeing patients with autism for some weeks as I learn how best to introduce this to "normal" patients, then apprehensive patients, then patients with Down's syndrome and finally autistic patients.

On the side I've been in a large group chat for awhile with many dentists. I have never heard of dentists being so afraid for themselves. I have a friend who is very brave in general far more than most anyone else and he is scared as he has known dentists who have died. He in his young 50's is seriously considering quieting.
I can imagine how scary this must be for dentists! You have no idea who has the virus and even with screening temperatures, it can be present and no symptoms. It is strange to me that my dentist doesn’t seem at all worried. He opened back up for the general public Monday, and still just uses a regular medical mask, no extra PPE. The office is sanitizing more and the hygienists are wearing masks but other than that, it is all as usual. We do only have 23 confirmed cases in our area, but with restrictions lifting, I bet it will rise.

Dental practices will change, I think the practice I go will operation on an one in one out

Another thing would the patients need to wear PPE and gloves etc when at the dentist to protect themselves, dentist, the dental assistant, reception team, (as I don't think we will be waiting in the waiting room to be seen, the practice I go to the waiting room is very small.

Another thing would the patients need to wear PPE and gloves etc when at the dentist to protect themselves, dentist, the dental assistant, reception team, (as I don't think we will be waiting in the waiting room to be seen, the practice I go to the waiting room is very small.
I think not. The rational is that the water and aerosols out of the patient’s mouth can contaminate the surrounding.
but on the other hand, who knows what the future beholds...

We have opened up dental offices in my state now, and they are back to “normal” (new normal). I have an appointment at my oral surgeon this week and they said they are no longer having people wait in the waiting room. We wait in our cars and call in and they will come get us. We are supposed to wear a mask and get our temp checked before coming in. It is actually kind of a relief that they are taking it seriously. My regular dentist is not at all concerned and the only difference I could see is that the receptionist is wearing a mask.

I was reading articles on the impact. An endodontist who had recently opened her clinic was saying she was going to invest so her rooms could change the air in the room more rapidly once a patient leaves. Possibly getting negative pressure rooms, like in hospitals. She was saying since the start of the pandemic she only saw 2 clients.

Many seems to put single use plastic everywhere and throughly disinfect the rooms between patients. Dentists were talking about extra measures, such as: putting cellphones in bags so no one touches them when in the clinic, protective blouses for staff and client. Seems like the key is to work as if everyone as COVID-19 since someone could pass the pre-screenin

My province is still opening dentist offices only for emergencies, but I know other provinces in Canada are starting to open back dental offices. In Saskatchewan, they are reopening and started giving some guidelines, such as procedures producing aerosols must be done in a sealed room and you have to wait 2 hours between patients.

Many of those precautions won’t help to calm anyone who is nervous in regards of COVID-19, but I hope it will keep people safe.

Hi everyone,
I would like to share some more thoughts that came after reading the threads of this post.
it seems there are two kind of threads here:
One kind of input is very positive, about how nice it is for an anxious patient to visit a dentist these days: they are more relaxed not rushed.
the second type of threads is about safetY and how far things might go due to the safety issue.
I think it reflects the current times we are living in: everybody is concerned about the future on the health and financial levels but due to the worldwide lock-down we are no longer running in the race of life and able to enjoy each other more.
If I may, I would like to make a prediction about the future in dentistry and in everything: within 18 months from now we will return to the pre-covid era. The entire medical and scientific world is laser-focused on finding a cure (there are already great breakthroughs in that front) and a vaccination (takes a bit longer but most likely will come). Once the world is relieved about the prospects of fighting this virus, the market forces will bring us back to the crazy mouse-race we were in.
I hope there will be a correction in the post-covid, that we will be able to enjoy life in a sustainable way.

Even though I go regularly (every three months) I am still fearful of going back (I am a month overdue last went January 2020, should have gone April 2020) the longer the dental practice is shut, the more I am going to panic. the dentist says my teeth look at lot better than she first saw me 7 years ago,

she quickly changed my dental appointments from 6 months to 3 months not because of having bad teeth, she just worried about me having extra plaque build up, due to the overcrowding problem. and being a fantastic dentist even though she does a mixture of nhs and private work, with her being the owner, it helps.

I'm ashmed that at 36 I still need helping brushing my teeth by my parents (not everyday) I do have learning disability,

I think it due to an overcrowding in my mouth, and not having a decent enough lighting and mirror in the bathroom.

Having a good battery/electric toothbrush and going regularly to the dentist has helped me catch any problems whilst there are small in my mouth.

I will never attempt to pull my own teeth out.

I have some fear of going back, but read what the dentists, assistants and reception at the pratice I go to will be wearing, and I read the instructions what the patient needs to.

I am scared I will lose all my teeth for missing one cleaning in April, my last checkip was in January earlier this year. I know I should not read anything about online how long a cavity takes to form, stages of tooth decay (scared of a tooth getting to stage 4 or 5 , abcesses - as I been though that before)

I don't want dentures at 36, I would not be able to handle them, with my disability and my co-ordination putting them back in and out each day and last thing out night removing

I am scared I will lose all my teeth for missing one cleaning in April, my last checkip was in January earlier this year. I know I should not read anything about online how long a cavity takes to form, stages of tooth decay (scared of a tooth getting to stage 4 or 5 , abcesses - as I been though that before)

I don't want dentures at 36, I would not be able to handle them, with my disability and my co-ordination putting them back in and out each day and last thing out night removing

Hang in there, @Thephilsblogbar. I know this uncertainty is difficult, but you certainly won't get dentures as a result of one missed cleaning. Hope you will get a new appointment soon.

Hang in there, @Thephilsblogbar. I know this uncertainty is difficult, but you certainly won't get dentures as a result of one missed cleaning. Hope you will get a new appointment soon.

Thanks, I hope my Mum can get into the dentist to have the tooth removed which she cracked ealier this year.

I have talked to my anxiety group today, about my anxiety about not being able to get to dentist straight away, I am not the only ones who have missed over due appointments due to the covid19

I have watched Youtube videos which has helped about PPE for the dentist, and their assistants, plus reception team. I won't be scared of them wearing this gear.

Back